German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just so overjoyed at what happened to me today that I had to share this story!

I had to do an errand for work today at a city about 20 miles north of my office. As I exited the interstate, I could see a dark form lying next to the stop sign at the end of the off ramp. As I approached, I could clearly see that it was a German shepherd, a dark sable dog with no collar.

I stopped the car and peered over the passenger's side to look at him. He looked straight back at me with the saddest eyes. Something inside told me to stop, but I was on a tight schedule because of work and I wasn't sure what I would do with him.

I told myself that I would do my one errand and then come back. If he was still at the stop sign, I would take him to either my vet or the local humane society until I could come back after work. However, when I went back to the end of the off ramp, the dog was gone. I was heartbroken. I felt like I let that dog down.

When I got back to the office, I decided to call the humane society on a whim. Maybe someone turned him in, or maybe animal control had picked him up. When I asked, they said they'd had only one German shepherd brought in that day, a black and tan found by animal control. I was bummed but decided to ask where they found him. The shelter worker said he was found at the same interstate off ramp where I had been only a few minutes earlier! I was overjoyed...animal control must've come along right after me, or another driver must've called them! (People down here don't really know what sables are...they always think they're GSD mixes) I was so happy, and I'm going to take a look at the dog tomorrow. Actually, the animal control officer said that if no one else wanted him, that she would take him, so I think he'll get a home. If not, I am third on the list!

When I hung up the phone with the shelter worker, I felt so happy and so grateful that the dog will get a second chance at life. I know that, in the future, I will be more willing to help dogs that I see in trouble the first time. I am telling this story to ask others who find strays to please, please take them in or take them to a shelter. Some of them might not be as lucky as this shepherd was! Thanks for reading!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts