German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My jack russell is on amoxicillin for a mild bladder infection and I cant seem to find this info anywhere else and my vet is in surgery so I cant get a hold of her til later tonight so I figure I would try you guys. She seems to have a stomach senstivity to the med and will throw up about 15 mins after taking it. So the vet was going to change her over to baytril (SP)? but I am curious, If I cut the pill in half and give her a half twice a day instead of a whole twice a day, Do you think this could help? I know some pills cant be split so I am not sure if this would work for the amoxicilln or not? Any opinions or should I just go to the baytril?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Lady Jane has problems with every antibiotic EXCEPT Baytril. If only the Baytril was less expensive!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so I went to pick up the baytril. Yea expensive is the right word. 12 dollars for 10 when i only paid 10 for 20 amoxicillin but regardless anything for the pups. Unfortunetly I have to go to class tonight so I really dont want to give it to her when I wont be here to watch her but I took one out of the bottle and she went crazy wanting it. I guess it is the chewable favored one so I def have to make sure the bottle is no where she can get thoose little paws on it. I always hate trying different antibiotics because of all of the side effect and allergy problems but yea i guess that is everything.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Wow. I pay $40 for 10 of the 136 mg.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Baytril! BLAH! EXPENSIVE!!!!

Nina is on it too. I found it cheaper at KV Vet Supply and then even cheaper yet (by a bit) at Dr. Fosters and Smiths. If shipping is free in both places (depending on the size of the order-price wise) you can save quite a bit.

I saved about $90 from my vet's prices and they said I'd be crazy not to do it (although they have also called me crazy-so...). He didn't even charge me for the Rx.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
that seems cheap $12 for 10.
I once paid $40 for 4 pills for some kind of worms my Sashi had!! That is $10 a pill.
I hope your dog gets better soon.
Mine has on again off again ear problem....the amocillin shot didnt help at all. They started him off with the shot and then he was on some other kind of antibiotics and ear drops..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea 12 bucks seems cheap compare to the prices you guys are talking about. These are only 22 mg so I guess that is the reason for the price difference. She is only 12 lbs. But anyhow we are going to try one here in about an hour along with a meal so hopefully all goes well. She has also had ear problems off and on since she was a pup. We had been threw 3 rounds of drops and antibiotics before it finally cleared up, so far it hasnt came back but I clean her ears alot now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I just gave her the first dose about 40 mins ago after a good meal and a trip outside. So far so good, no vomiting or anything. Of course I am on the edge of my chair with anxiety watching her breathing and everything non stop but she must have picked up on that because she left my lap and got in bed for her afternoon nap. So I called the vet to ask how long I should watch her for allergic reaction(swelling and whatnot) and I was shocked she said after 2 doses which would be 48 hours. I didnt think it would be that long. I assumed that within a few hours we would be in the clear for swelling and all that stuff atleast

1 - 8 of 8 Posts