German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my trainer suggested that my dog might benefit from giving her L Tyrosine because it can be calming. I know dogs get some from their food but was wondering if anyone here gives their dog amino acids, if so which ones and what for.

·
Registered
31,797 Posts
I do not. It's something I would like to learn more about. I feed a raw diet so everything she needs in amino acids is already there. Did your trainer give you any articles to read or point you in the right direction? I talked to a nutritionist a few months ago and briefly discussed amino acids. she gave me this link
Amino Acids Summary Table

And this is an interesting blurb from our conversation
"Phenylalanine and Tyrosine are precursors for the thyroid hormone."

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not. It's something I would like to learn more about. I feed a raw diet so everything she needs in amino acids is already there. Did your trainer give you any articles to read or point you in the right direction? I talked to a nutritionist a few months ago and briefly discussed amino acids. she gave me this link
Amino Acids Summary Table

And this is an interesting blurb from our conversation
"Phenylalanine and Tyrosine are precursors for the thyroid hormone."
Thanks for the link. She did not give me any thing just that it has been good for some of her dogs. I have read a lot about it for humans, but know dogs can be different and don't want to give anything not safe. I feed core wellness, grain free so she might be lacking compared to raw.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok looked at chart and am wondering if this is the same for humans and dogs? I have read the Atkins Vita Nutrients and there is a lot of information about amino acids and what they can do. Also Vitamins. He claims a lot of what ails us can be fixed with the right supplements. Eating healthy and taking some of this has helped me a lot. He also states that we would have to eat more than possible of some things to get the benefit. Also ways to keep ourselves off of medicines with all the side affects. Just would like to know how to safely apply it to dogs.

·
Registered
31,797 Posts
I think dogs and people are pretty similar in what amino acids we make and which ones are essential. But, that is not to say a dog can't be born with an imbalance or lack of ability to make enough of one amino acid. I'm sure there are people out there like that.

Would you mind sharing what your dog is doing that your trainer thinks she needs a calming agent?

·
Registered
31,797 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She is a rescue and had 3 homes before me. My trainer thinks it might help her to focus on me in class. It helped one of her dogs to settle down a little. Over all she is a great dog, loves people, but sometimes tries to boss new dogs in class. She also is a little pushey with some dogs. My trainer thinks some of the problem is me because I have trouble staying calm when she acts out. She wants to lean over dogs stuff like that. No growling or barking. but could lead to trouble. She has a history of fighting with another female in her last home but could of been the 2 female thing. I am training her to be the best dog she can be. but at the end of the day. if I always have to manage her inter actions with other dogs I will.

·
Registered
31,797 Posts
My weekend foster wears an Adaptil collar that releases a pheromone. They last 30 days. I didn't change it until Saturday and I can't believe the difference it makes for him. He has very high anxiety and can not settle. Almost as soon as I changed the collar he chilled out and relaxed.

It sounds like your girl just needs to bond more with you and learn boundaries on how to act around other dogs. I caused a lot of problems with Jax because I would get anxious. It's amazing how they pick up on our emotions. I watched a SchH trial where the dog fell apart because her handler was so nervous.

It can't hurt to try her on the amino acid. If you are uncomfortable giving it on your own, maybe consult a holistic vet?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My weekend foster wears an Adaptil collar that releases a pheromone. They last 30 days. I didn't change it until Saturday and I can't believe the difference it makes for him. He has very high anxiety and can not settle. Almost as soon as I changed the collar he chilled out and relaxed.

It sounds like your girl just needs to bond more with you and learn boundaries on how to act around other dogs. I caused a lot of problems with Jax because I would get anxious. It's amazing how they pick up on our emotions. I watched a SchH trial where the dog fell apart because her handler was so nervous.

It can't hurt to try her on the amino acid. If you are uncomfortable giving it on your own, maybe consult a holistic vet?
My trainer does say, that even though I have had her a year and a half that she still thinks she needs to bond with me a little more. With going back to shelters, she had been in 6 places before she come to me at 2 yrs old Never heard of the collars. where do you get them?

·
Registered
31,797 Posts
Just do a google search for them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts