German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beginning my homework now, but there are so many breeders and sites out there to wade through. I would appreciate any recommendations for quality breeders In Ohio or nearby states. It would be nice to narrow it down to a handful and go from there.

I have done training with my last dog at "Whited k9" semi-local and they seem to be a reputable breeder and importer. I'm going to take my time to find the best fit - in no hurry. Still not over the loss of my last dog.

Looking for a family and protection GSD. Not looking to show the dog or compete. I always thought the working lines were the purest of the breed with the best traits, but I've been reading that show lines could be a better fit for me.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I would not expect an American show line to protect my house. The GSDCA banned schutzhund several decades ago, and very few American show line dogs even compete in obedience and other working competitions. The ones that do are very rarely the ones you'll see in the conformation ring.

If you are going to go this route, I strongly suggest you find an ASL breeder that emphasizes performance, health and temperament over show ring titles.

Read this link here to understand the differences in the lines: http://www.wildhauskennels.com/gsdtypes.htm

·
Premium Member
11,234 Posts
Your title is EXTREMELY misleading!!!!!!!!

Your exposure is not to "American Show Lines (ASL)" if you were doing training at Bill Whiteds.....he has European lines, but is in Ohio......so I assume you are looking for an "American breeder" of European lines....

Defining reputable breeder can be a bit tricky!!!!!!!!!!! There are many that same general area with EUROPEAN lines that are selling puppies regularly.

www.germanshepherddogs.com is USCAs website....you will find clubs and breeders listed on this site who are within 2-5 hours from you....if you want to expand your search, several of us can make recommendations for reputable breeders. I am a few hours away in Pittsburgh and have trained up that way on and off for years. Another board member in the Akron area is getting a puppy from the midwest and will be making a road trip I understand. And Sunsilver may have some pups in a few months too! ;)

Lee

Reactions: Femfa and Sunsilver

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your title is EXTREMELY misleading!!!!!!!!

Your exposure is not to "American Show Lines (ASL)" if you were doing training at Bill Whiteds.....he has European lines, but is in Ohio......so I assume you are looking for an "American breeder" of European lines....
Lee
Sorry about the misleading title, but I'm interested in ASL - My shepherds have been AKC registered, but more of the Local breeder/family pet variety - not from Whiteds. While doing obedience with my Dog at Bill Whited's - is when I was introduced to European Lines and watching Schutzhund competitions.

The more I read, I feel that I'm going to get biased opinions on the different lines of the breed. I want my dog to be able learn obedience and home protection, and maybe I'm a bit naive in thinking an ASL can fit the bill. Just not sure that a working line is the most appropriate fit for me.

Can you tell me if reputable ASL breeders are less common than GSL or European working lines? Thanks for the info, I do want to expand my search if necessary. I'm not 100% set on a specific line, but I need a better understanding of what quality breeders are out there.

·
Premium Member
11,234 Posts
Sorry about the misleading title, but I'm interested in ASL - My shepherds have been AKC registered, but more of the Local breeder/family pet variety - not from Whiteds. While doing obedience with my Dog at Bill Whited's - is when I was introduced to European Lines and watching Schutzhund competitions.

The more I read, I feel that I'm going to get biased opinions on the different lines of the breed. I want my dog to be able learn obedience and home protection, and maybe I'm a bit naive in thinking an ASL can fit the bill. Just not sure that a working line is the most appropriate fit for me.

Can you tell me if reputable ASL breeders are less common than GSL or European working lines? Thanks for the info, I do want to expand my search if necessary. I'm not 100% set on a specific line, but I need a better understanding of what quality breeders are out there.
Sorry - my understanding from the context of your post, and the title, was that you wanted a dog with some trainability .....The last thing you want is an ASL if you want OB and home protection ability....they just are not bred for those attributes....I would totally agree that you are "naive in thinking an ASL can fit the bill"

I still think a good balanced working line would be your best bet.....I have been to many many AKC shows/ob trials/agility etc....the GSDs who do well, who show with attentiveness and energy are without fail all or part Euro working lines....as I said, I am in Pittsburgh, and have done the Canfield shows, Ravenna, Cleveland Classic etc....

A few of the very worse ASL dogs for temperament are from that part of Ohio....

Lee

Reactions: Femfa and Sunsilver

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Do not listen to the crap that american showline will not protect you or your house it is crap. It seems to be that I learned on this forum there is a diligence In ones search to find a balanced dog who has any protections instincts who look and runs toward the fight with anticipation then a Dog who runs and stomp of foot or a swing of a bat in the real thick of things. Personally to me it’s dependant on the dog itself and not whether it’s a wl, wgsl or asl. Even though i stick around this forum because it has some good information I would have did a tremendous injustice to myself and family if I stumbled upon this forum before I found my asl and had been swayed away from my american showline. Never had such an unbreakable bond with any dog I had ever owned. The breeder who is reputable and honest is key regardless of the lines and this still is not a guarantee you will get what you want but makes the scales tip more in your favor. Do not know any breeders in Ohio but some asl breeders in closest surrounding states
http://www.karizmashepherds.com/
http://www.kaleefgermanshepherds.com/the-handsome-boys/
http://casamoko.com/
http://www.caissonkennels.com/pb/wp_ab05c0c3/wp_ab05c0c3.html

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Please READ the link you were given. This is one of the most accurate descriptions of the different GSD lines I have ever read, and this is what it says about the ASL:

(Types of German Shepherds, by Wildhaus Kennels )

Temperament, nerve, intelligence, and ability to work are not tested in the show ring so they are not considerations for many breeders. The responsible breeders of this type go the extra mile and prove their dog's trainability and health through performance titles and extensive health testing. Unfortunately, as with all the types, not all breeders are responsible.

Dogs from this bloodline can make very nice family pets, and those from lines that are also performance titled can often do well in activities such as obedience, tracking, agility and AKC style herding. But as a rule they do not have the hardness, drive and strength of character to make them suitable for schutzhund, personal protection or law enforcement. While some few do participate and do well in these areas, they are the exceptions that prove the rule. The ability to excel in these fields is not a focal point of their breeding, nor has it been for many generations, and as a result most of these qualities have been lost in these lines.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Aren't the Marcato dogs ASL? She's a member and I don't know where she is but maybe she has some input?
Jackie has not been well. I doubt she has any dogs available, and she will certainly not be breeding another litter unless her health improves. However, she may be able to recommend someone reputable that has these lines.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still think a good balanced working line would be your best bet.....I have been to many many AKC shows/ob trials/agility etc....the GSDs who do well, who show with attentiveness and energy are without fail all or part Euro working lines....as I said, I am in Pittsburgh, and have done the Canfield shows, Ravenna, Cleveland Classic etc...
Lee
So what would be some of your top recommended working line breeders around Ohio and neighboring states? Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,234 Posts
Do not listen to the crap that american showline will not protect you or your house it is crap. It seems to be that I learned on this forum there is a diligence In ones search to find a balanced dog who has any protections instincts who look and runs toward the fight with anticipation then a Dog who runs and stomp of foot or a swing of a bat in the real thick of things. Personally to me it’s dependant on the dog itself and not whether it’s a wl, wgsl or asl. Even though i stick around this forum because it has some good information I would have did a tremendous injustice to myself and family if I stumbled upon this forum before I found my asl and had been swayed away from my american showline. Never had such an unbreakable bond with any dog I had ever owned. The breeder who is reputable and honest is key regardless of the lines and this still is not a guarantee you will get what you want but makes the scales tip more in your favor. Do not know any breeders in Ohio but some asl breeders in closest surrounding states
Our Boys
Casamoko German Shepherds Wisconsin-German Shepherd Breeder
CaissonKennels.com - Cassie

WEll - I would say you have been lucky and got the exception to the rule.

I have spent 20 years plus in the breed. I have gone to innumerable AKC shows in PA/OH/MD - I have seen the GSDs in the ring and OB/etc.........I have known breeders of ASLs. The reason I got into European lines was because I saw these ASLs when I was showing my BYB black and silver mix WGSL/WL/BY black and silver...who won OB classes...

The most pathetic dog I have ever seen of any breed in my life was from one of these cited kennels. You had to feel sorry for the dog she was so afraid of the world and people. BUT - she "moved like the wind" and was bred...the person who raised her refused to breed her, the co-owner then took her, finished her and bred her....no one could touch her in the kennel, she dropped to the floor and trembled....this was when she was with the first owner....she was not abused, not man handled...just 110% fearful...but she was bred....she produced quite a few the same way....

I stand by 20 years of observing these dogs......there are always exceptions, but for the most part...you are not going to get an ASL with the kind of temperament you are looking for...you have a better shot with a BYB dog!

Lee

Reactions: Sunsilver

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
Good grief, slow down here. We really jumped hard on that "ASL is nervy and can't do a darn thing" bandwagon.

First of all, everyone comes on here saying they want a protection dog (or a dog for protection). What exactly does that mean to you, SkyBox? Do you want to do a protection SPORT, do you want to have a dog that is trained in protection, or do you want a dog that makes you feel safe when you are home and out and about?

Where in the world do you guys get that ASL can't do obedience? Seriously? My local GSD club is filled with people doing obedience with their dogs, and I don't just mean a CD.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Our Boys
Casamoko German Shepherds Wisconsin-German Shepherd Breeder
CaissonKennels.com - Cassie

WEll - I would say you have been lucky and got the exception to the rule.

I have spent 20 years plus in the breed. I have gone to innumerable AKC shows in PA/OH/MD - I have seen the GSDs in the ring and OB/etc.........I have known breeders of ASLs. The reason I got into European lines was because I saw these ASLs when I was showing my BYB black and silver mix WGSL/WL/BY black and silver...who won OB classes...

The most pathetic dog I have ever seen of any breed in my life was from one of these cited kennels. You had to feel sorry for the dog she was so afraid of the world and people. BUT - she "moved like the wind" and was bred...the person who raised her refused to breed her, the co-owner then took her, finished her and bred her....no one could touch her in the kennel, she dropped to the floor and trembled....this was when she was with the first owner....she was not abused, not man handled...just 110% fearful...but she was bred....she produced quite a few the same way....

I stand by 20 years of observing these dogs......there are always exceptions, but for the most part...you are not going to get an ASL with the kind of temperament you are looking for...you have a better shot with a BYB dog!

Lee

Well this has been my very small experience - being happy with my asl -who is not untrainable and a bag of shaking nerves -and one thing is I am certainly not lucky. So luck there has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I have a female that's a cross between very good ASL lines (Dallas) and very good German SL (Ursus). She got a BH but I was told she didn't quite have the nerves to get an IPO1. She's a good dog, though, and I'd trust her to protect my home. Not sure she would attack someone, but she sure SOUNDS like she might!

I now have a working line dog, and the difference in nerves, drive, athletic ability and everything else needed for a working dog is like night and day.

·
Super Moderator
32,282 Posts
First of all, everyone comes on here saying they want a protection dog (or a dog for protection). What exactly does that mean to you, SkyBox? Do you want to do a protection SPORT, do you want to have a dog that is trained in protection, or do you want a dog that makes you feel safe when you are home and out and about?
This is a very good question. I have no interest in participating in protection sports and I don't expect my dogs to actually protect me in a situation where I'm at serious risk of harm (which, BTW, I've never been in before). But because they're big dogs that bark, they are a deterrent, and that's all I really need. I feel safe if I'm out with them, and if someone were casing my neighborhood for houses to rob I'm confident that my dogs' big scary barks would be enough to cause them to pass us by and pick another house. When this comes up on the board, which it does quite frequently, and the member is questioned further, this is what *most* of them mean when they say they want a protective dog. Not all, of course, but most, which is why clarification is important.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I have a big goofy happy ASL sitting in my living room right now. Great with kids, fun, silly. I also wouldn't suggest you come into my house unannounced, or you'll meet the business end of him. He's not kidding around. This is from experience, not me thinking he'll act that way.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
While I personally prefer working line dogs, I have to say my male WL has weaker nerves than any well bred ASL dog I have ever seen. Sure, he has more drive, and sure, he very well could do a good job of deterring criminals, but he also has no threshold, isn’t clear headed and has more defense than judgment. I cannot see how that would be a better choice for most people. There are good and bad in all the lines. If the OP feels a well bred ASL dog would be a better fit for their situation, there is no need to lump every single ASL dog together and bash them all.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts