German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Memphis just turned 6 months 6 days today and I feel i decided to not neuter him. I understand everyone says he will get hit by a car, or be the father of all these puppies, or hes gonna have testicular cancer. I have made two vet appointments to get him neutered and both times I have canceled. Something about this just doesn't seem right.

To help aid my decision I also found this.
http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

How many of y'all out there neutered and regret it, or didn't neuter and did regret it? I feel like I am judged negatively for not neutering him.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i regret Riley having to be neutered but we didnt have the choice as he was adopted from the humane society back home. I dont want my future male to be neutered unless its medically necessary. The way i see it, its a 50/50 chance either way you go. They can get sick whether they're nuetered or not. Breeders dont neuter their dogs and they're healthy and happy. I personally feel as long as your dog is under your control and you're responsible, you shouldnt neuter unless you WANT to. If theres the chance he'll get out and be a puppy daddy, then maybe you should seriously considering altering. But they can get cancer whether they're sick or not. If its not testicular, it could be something else. Go with your feelings. I would say since you've cancelled twice already, perhaps you shouldnt do it. Plus i wouldnt recommend nuetering that young anyway because he wouldnt fill out properly. You'd have a shepherd with more leg than body on him. make sense? He wouldnt look like he should when he's done growing and filling out and he'd probably always have more of a feminine look to him.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My Memphis just turned 6 months 6 days today and I feel i decided to not neuter him. I understand everyone says he will get hit by a car, or be the father of all these puppies, or hes gonna have testicular cancer. I have made two vet appointments to get him neutered and both times I have canceled. Something about this just doesn't seem right.

To help aid my decision I also found this.
http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

How many of y'all out there neutered and regret it, or didn't neuter and did regret it? I feel like I am judged negatively for not neutering him.

I have found that 95 percent of vets will look down on your for not neutering, and will come up with MANY reasons you should. Even crazy extreme cases? My vet in kanses before i moved back home to alabama definately gave me the talk about my male max. He was 6 months at the time and not neutered, and i already made up my mind about how i wasnt going to. Apparently, a male's penis can get stuck OUT, and in 2 cases she has had, one of them they had to shove back in.... and the other they had to cut off because it wouldnt go back in.... Like i said... extreme cases.

I myself, will not be neutering my male max. He will be 8 months on the 22nd of this month now. I had my female Ruby spayed. I do regret that a little bit, but i didnt buy her with breeding rights, so it was in the contract to have her spayed, and also for the sake of non ruined carpets, or her not wearing a diaper haha i decided too go ahead with it.

Everyone has their own opinions... i say research, and do what you feel is right.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Plus i wouldnt recommend nuetering that young anyway because he wouldnt fill out properly. You'd have a shepherd with more leg than body on him. make sense? He wouldnt look like he should when he's done growing and filling out and he'd probably always have more of a feminine look to him.
Took the words out of my mouth! :D

·
Registered
596 Posts
I agree with kzoppa! I altered Baron at four months because that is what the vet wanted. I saw his mom and several older siblings. They were all breed standard. Baron is thirty inches at the shoulder and looks like a giraffe. He turned six this summer and is only now Not looking like an anorexic giraffe.
If you can keep him contained please wait until he is fully mature.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Its your decision. If you still plan on neutering him, wait until he is at least 2 years old, he will have filled out and matured.It would give you more time to decide if you want to neuter him.

I don't regret it, well we got Tanner from the shelter. But I wouldn't have regretted it. Its all really the owner's decision.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i should also mention that Riley is a GSD border collie mix who looks PB GSD with the exception of a big white patch on his chest. he is 6 years old this coming January and he FINALLY stopped growing and filling out earlier this year. He is still ALL legs and has a VERY feminine head. He's what i call our girly dog but he's heavier and doesnt look like some weird greyhound anymore. He looks more GSD but VERY girly.

But without that testosterone from his boy parts, he wont fill out properly and from what i've learned, it also makes the breed even slower to mature in some cases if they're altered before 18 months of age. If you DO decide to neuter i would recommend waiting until your boy is at the very least 18 months old. I can only imagine how Riley would look if we'd been allowed to wait to have him altered. I think Riley, even mixed (though the BC is about 10%) would probably look a lot more normal. He's a big boy as is but i seriously think if we'd been able to wait for the neuter, he would look more male than he does.

I'll see if i can find a good picture of Riley. I can promise you that i get asked ALL the time if he is a she. and they're shocked when they find out he's male. His man goods didnt get the chance to mature so unless you're right under him too... you have trouble telling.

Also, if you look at breeder contracts, MANY of them have a void clause that if you alter the dog before (usually only males) they're 18 months old (some say 2 years) the contract is void and should your dog develope any health problems the contract would have covered in that time frame, you're basically outta luck. I dont think i worded that well but i think you understand what i was trying to say. the void clause says not to alter the dog until a certain age so they can fill out properly. There. Spat it out easier!

·
Super Moderator
32,426 Posts
I had Keefer neutered at 15 months old. I don't regret that I did it, I don't regret that I waited that long, and I don't regret that I didn't wait even longer.

He's always had a big head and a masculine look, and neutering did not change that.

·
Super Moderator
32,426 Posts
Something about this just doesn't seem right.
Maybe you should examine what that "something" is. Whatever your decision turns out to be it's a good idea to be clear in your own mind about your reasoning, and then you won't be conflicted.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Cassidy who is your breeder? My hubby is dying of curiosity. He LOVES the look of your dogs and wanted me to ask.

·
Super Moderator
32,426 Posts
Keefer is from TeMar Shepherds in Oregon, and Halo is from Rokanhaus in Connecticut. He's WGSL, she's WGWL, both longcoats.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Thanks! i'll tell him. he especially loves Keefer. Showed him pictures you posted a while back and i think he was hooked.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The whole neutering thing is confusing to me on two fronts;

1. I think my Karma is one fine dog and I would love to have pups out of her and pass them on HOWEVER there are so many stray mongrels here that every time she goes on heat it is going to be out and out war !
2. I have a baby boy coming which means we will have a boy and a girl and I think maybe that's enough don't you ?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
The whole neutering thing is confusing to me on two fronts;

1. I think my Karma is one fine dog and I would love to have pups out of her and pass them on HOWEVER there are so many stray mongrels here that every time she goes on heat it is going to be out and out war !
2. I have a baby boy coming which means we will have a boy and a girl and I think maybe that's enough don't you ?

well here's how i plan to do it. Maybe it'll help. I intend on altering my girls when they're about 2 years old simply because i dont want to deal with heat cycles beyond that and risk pups when i get my future male. Basically altering my girls after a certain will just be easier on us. I dont plan or want to alter my future male. With males i dont have to worry about heat cycles and my dogs are very rarely off leash unless we're at a dog park which these days is rare. make sense? females altered because heat cycles are messy and dealing with a month long doggie heat cycle past the dog being 2 years old... well the heat cycles leading up to that are plenty. Males can be taught not to mark and females.... well they cant exactly be taught to put their own diapers on. and keeping them seperated can become a huge pain in the butt. and theres no promises you could even keep them seperated if you have a very determined male

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I don't regret spaying or neutering any of my dogs. My brother chose not to neuter one of his dogs because of a "bad feeling" and his dog ended up siring many, many pups. He would also take off for a week or two at a time. My brother obviously was not responsible about watching his dog carefully enough but he has neutered every male dog he's had since that one.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I do regret neutering my Lab.
Personally, in the future I will not be neutering any males. Females are different as there is the added risk of pyometra.

From what I have read (including the article posted), the only benefit to neutering over being intact is the puppies. I know I am responsible enough to own an intact dog and not have issues with wandering or siring litters. I have one intact male right now. He is a working dog, and I do not have the luxury of being lax with him. He is worth more than I am, LOL.

I have to add, I frequent another forum and these types of questions get very different answers. People downright try to scare someone into deciding to neuter. Nice to see that people can express their views without trying to force it on someone here.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have neutered all my dogs, and do not regret it, my Vet. didnt' push it, he wants the dogs to be at least 6 months old but after that it's the owners decision.
Do all your research and then make your decision.
Frank my gsd was my hardest one to decide on, not if to neuter, but when.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Odin will be 2 in February and I probably won't neuter him even then. Part of it is I think he still has a bit of filling out to do, and even intact I have yet to have any "boy issues" with him, he still pees like a girl, and i've had no aggression issues regarding people or dogs.. I couldn't be happier with his temperament.

But on the other side, I got a lot of flak from certain family members and one of the vets we go to about him not being neutered. I've been lectured time and time again about how keeping my dog intact is cutting his life expectancy by 10% and how he'll get cancer, etc. When people are that pro spay/neuter it's pointless to try and reason.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
All my animals are speutered and I do not regret it. My males look like they look - if they were bitchy looking to begin with from their genetics, that is what they will look like. If they were meant to look more masculine, they will. They don't know and don't care either. They also don't care and don't act any differently than intact males - the ones who are pushy are still pushy, the mellow are still mellow. I HAVE seen a difference in some males neutered when they come into rescue - in good ways, but it was probably the neutering combined with people who actually know what they are doing with the dog that helps.

I have asked a lot of vets why they recommend it - vets I trust that won't tell me what they think I want to hear - as a person in rescue, as a client whose money they want (lol), etc. In their many years of practice they see health and vigor in animals who have been spayed or neutered for longer than in those who are not.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My sister and Vet kept at me to have Charger neutered, but I stuck to my guns and waited till he was two plus years.
I would wait till he is at least two years of age. If any sooner he may not develop properly.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts