German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! New to the GSD puppy world and new to this forum. I’m constantly searching the internet for the best way to feed my puppy. He’s 16 weeks 37 lb. As of right now I’m feeding him a mix of his 2.5 cups of kibble and 3 cups fresh boiled ground beef spread between 3 feedings. He’s no where near showing any sign of being overweight.. just growing very fast. The problem is the past week He still seems to be very hungry between feedings. He’s never done this before. Is this normal? Should I be feeding him more during these times? I was thinking maybe it was a growth spurt?
Thank you

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hi there. Your pup is still very young. When dogs are that young all they want to do is eat, play, sleep, repeat. And after that they will go through a lanky phase until they're 2-3 years old depending on the dog and the gender. It's perfectly normal for your pup to seem hungry all the time. From what I read, what you're feeding is generally sufficient for the age and weight.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I’m not sure why you’re feeding ground beef? Your puppy isn’t getting really anything out of it nutritionally, so I would much rather replace that with the appropriate amount of kibble. How much does the back of the bag say to feed? If your puppy isn’t under or overweight, you don’t need to worry about changing the amount fed. Again, curious about why you feed the ground beef though.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi there. Your pup is still very young. When dogs are that young all they want to do is eat, play, sleep, repeat. And after that they will go through a lanky phase until they're 2-3 years old depending on the dog and the gender. It's perfectly normal for your pup to seem hungry all the time. From what I read, what you're feeding is generally sufficient for the age and weight.
A puppies favorite thing to do is eat and play. Feed what you feel is an appropriate amount and adjust that from his weight gain. I’m also curious about the ground beef though.

1 - 7 of 6 Posts