German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dax is our 4 1/2 month old GSD. The breeder fed him Pro Plan Dog food so we continued with it. I am wondering if there is a better dog food out there; also do any of you feed raw chicken or beef. Our breeder suggested doing that a few times a week.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
I feed Chicken Soup for Puppy Lovers Soul, Large Breed it is has pretty good ingredients for the price. I get a 35# bag for about $37 dollars.

As far as the raw feeding goes theres lots of information on here in the nutrition thread. There are also a lot of raw feeders on here that can maybe help you out.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I know that many are going to say you can find a higher quality of food than Pro Plan. I know of dog people who feed Pro Plan and like the results. These same people also supplement some with both raw chicken and beef.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I know that many are going to say you can find a higher quality of food than Pro Plan. I know of dog people who feed Pro Plan and like the results. These same people also supplement some with both raw chicken and beef.
There is a big advantage feeding a Purina product and that is availability. However, Pro Plan Select does not have corn gluten in it and that is a better choice.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My mom's gsd is doing very well on Pro Plan Select and raw meat a few times a week. She had tried just about every 5 and 6 star food available and her dog had so many problems- she finally tried this brand and her dog's doing really well on it.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I don't think there's a such thing as a right food, rather a better suited food for the dog. Some dogs do well on this, other dogs do horrible on that.

I say whatever your dogs does well on, no problems such as allergies and thriving on the food, stick with it. :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
there's plenty of preminum foods out there. i feed
my dog all sorts of things including raw ground beef,
cooked boneless and skinless chicken breast and raw chicken legs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts