German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just need to know if I am doing this right... Boy puppies are frustrating! But so cute..

So, when we are walking, 75% of the time my pup is great (5 months old now). The other 25% of the time she gets into these frenzies where she jumps up on me, pushes, nips and grabs my jacket or the leash. I can eventually get her to settle into a sit for treats, and we start a proper heel/treat, etc... But what do I do WHILE the jumping crazies is going on? I try to ignore it... but it is rather difficult to ignore her ripping up my jacket. Am I doing this right?

I have tried to grab her, tell her NO, sit.... then do training, but often she just thinks this is SO FUN and it starts all over. Knee in chest, etc... she just thinks is so awesome lets do that some more and even better play KEEPAWAY from me.. (she is leashed).

This jumping/nipping behavior also happens sometimes inside, and when it does, I try to leave the room. But I cant do that on walks.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Its been a long time since I had a puppy. However I remember being told when they jump to turn so my back is to them, Im wondering if that would be possible on the walks. I used to end daisy's walks by taking a time out in the park till she settled. We spent a great deal of time standing still! It also sounds like your pup has the zoomies alot. Love the NDTD , they are so smart and of course cute!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! She sure is a cutie that is for sure. Good thing for her....... LOL. She is major high energy and drive, and SO SMART, so I find myself pulled to this forum which I just love.

I do try to turn away from her...but she nips jumps at me anyway. I kinda feel ridiculous out there with my puppy attacking me. It feels like she wont stop... maybe I've not waited long enough? Sigh... patience... patience. It is a real test, this puppy raising!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL... My neighbor sent my boyfriend a text last night... "Has she tried using a training collar".......... Apparently he witnessed one of Emme's fits. And no, I dont intend on using a training collar! She is doing great part of the time, we'll get there... I'm quite certain a training collar would just frustrate her. She doesnt do well with too much negative correction.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I know that before I leashed my puppy, we spent some time expending energy (we have a large fenced yard), so did lots of running and playing ball. That got rid of the excess and he settled much better on leash afterwards.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Galathiel, that is good advice. I did that last night a bit before we went for our actual walk, and she did better than she had the night before that is for sure!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts