German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - my partner and I found a German Shepherd puppy cowering under a motorscooter in our backlane yesterday. My partner's dad spotted it and at first I thought, he was talking about a cat.

We fed him, walked him to our backyard and let our dog out (Our dog is a rescue greyhound and was pretty unimpressed) - walked him round the block a few times to look for his owners and eventually took him to the vet - no microchip.

I've posted on every website I can think of, but I have a horrible feeling he's been dumped - even the couple of hours we were minding him he was a right handful (very jumpy and a peeing machine) but lovely in spite of that.

He has to stay at the pound for seven days, but I can't bear the thought of him being put down. We live in a two bedroom ground floor apartment that opens out onto a big shared garden (only 4 apartments in total). Our dog is quite skittish and growled, and barked at the pup a couple of times. We also have a cat (who bullies the greyhound and pees on our things when she's pissed off).

Would it be totally nuts to try and all live together in harmony, if he can't find a new home? It feels completely irrational but he was a lovely dog- am asking everyone I know if they'd be up for adopting him, so I reckon someone will, but any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I guess it all depends on how much work you want to put into it. With his fearful attitude he would require a ton of very very careful socialization and confidence boosters, but if you have the time and energy to pour into it you could probably make it work.

If your other dog hates him however yeah that might not work. Perhaps you could foster and look for a forever home for him and if things actually work out at your place you can keep him?

Thank you for saving him off the street though, I hope someone else (or you :)) end up saving him from the shelter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm trying to talk my partner into maybe fostering - he's out the pound now - I have to chase the vet up again to see which one they took him to. I have no idea how it all works. We got our rescue greyhound through a friend, and the cat when the neighbours moved out and left it (motherf*****s) so we do have a habit of taking in waifs and strays. I'm not even particularly a dog person but this pup has really gotten under my skin (probably because he's a puppy and some arsehole dumped him in our back lane). What I'm really hoping is I can find an appropriate home for him. For rescues would I be looking for specific German Shepherd rescues?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
For rescues would I be looking for specific German Shepherd rescues?
You can look for breed specific or non-breed specific rescues. How many are around depends on how big your area is I would imagine.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
Puppies usually get adopted quickly...as long as they don't contract parvo or distemper from being in a shelter, they are the 'safe' ones. It's the senior or dog with issues that don't make it out as easy.
What general location are you in?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts