German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So I posted before about having to take my about 6 month old to the Vet to get her spayed and perhaps gastropexi, and it is finally coming up on this Wednesday (June 26).
I am beyond the word worried..
First, for those who do not know, Zelda is a fearful dog with new people. She will bark and growl and try to get far away from them. And if she were cornered and was scared of someone I wouldnt put past biting.. Anyways I did warn the peopel at the vets this. She has been at the Vet's three times and she does alright with a few people and not with others. I use to work at that Vet when i was in HS and so they know me. There is one Vet Tech there i do not trust, she already hates my dog and says she is going to end up biting someone and me one day,etc.
So first off, that Vet tech scares me, she will probably be working on Zelda with the spay (doing before procedures and after). I hope they wont have to put a muzzle on her becausei feel like that is something very scary for her too.. (or is that just me?) Second im worried for Zelda that this is all going to set her back with trusting new people. Third, I'm worried about the actual procedure. Fourth, I'm worried about after the procedure and having to deal with her and how much she hates her e-collar on and keeping her from running,etc. (i have been putting her e-collar on to pracitce to its not a ton of stressful things at once). Fifth, I'm worried about the cost (I have $700 already saved up for this but i live by my pay checks and would do anything for Zelda so if it were more than that I am sure they woudl let me do payments but its still a lot).

When it comes to my own kiddo, i just go crazy worried.. I just want someone outside of my shoes to tell me what I acutally should be concerned about if anything..

Anyways theres me being a crazy worry-wort mom venting!

Can anyone calm my nerves on all this? Or am I having all these feelings for a valid reason?

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Well I'm usually a worry wort to, but I have to say I love my vet and everyone that works there, so when I leave one of my dogs I know they are in capable hands.

Masi is the first dog I've ever had (and I've had many:) that is terrified of my vet:( It's the only thing in 'life' that she is afraid of. With that, when I take her to the vet I do muzzle her. So that may be something to think about, getting her used to a muzzle.

Masi had a pretty severe med issue last month, which required her to be at the vets for 4 days in a row (day long visits), naturally I was pretty paranoid about how she'd be..Well I worried for nothing, she was great with all the techs, letting them do what they had to do, and even took a nice walk with my vet:))

She may surprise you and be just fine. I find Masi (and my vets agree) does better without me there. She's pretty guardy of me , (I wont use protective, because I don't think that's what it is),.

Anyhow, as for the e-collar, do you think she'll 'need' one? I never used on any of the dogs I've had spayed/neutered, it just wasn't needed. Of course I kept a close eye on them ..

Let me ask you, why are you doing gastro plexy? Just curious. I haven't and don't plan on doing it on any of my dogs, I guess it's a personal preference, of course I've never had a dog bloat/torsion before either..I'm not to paranoid about it, I figure if it's going to happen, it's going to happen.

Honestly, I can't say it will set her back or not.. I DO know, Masi was always fine with the vets until I had her spayed..After that, is when her 'fear' of the vet started up. I really don't believe they 'did' anything to her tho.

Is she staying overnite? Since you used to work there, maybe you can get her at the end of the day vs having her there overnite?

I'm sure she'll be fine, we tend to overanalyze, worry more than we need to..:)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps since i dont trust at least one person at this Vet's i should leave?
Most of the vets that i really loved have already left that place.. There is no vet that i especially love, there is one vet who has a lot of exeprience, he's nice, and he knows what he's doing and talking about. So i use him. But no especially awesome Vet Tech's either, in fact they have quite a bit of new people on board. So maybe exploring another vet would help.
Well I hope Zelda will be like Masi and end up being a good one at the vets!
I have a feeling she will need one, I got her a "Comfy Cone" because its a lot softer, less scary when it hits something, etc. So hopefully she wont need it for long..
I want to do the gatro plexy because the one of the Vet's beleive she will be on the larger end of GSD weight, not too big, but pretty big. I am just very worried that her stomach will swist or something. Not only is it perhaps fatal but also very expensive and scary. And if i need to spend $400 to prevent this from happening than i will. however, do you not think i should follow through with it?
And i asked them if they recommend her to have one, and they told me yes. However, on a surgical intake sheet they gave me they only put Spay down, so i need to call them to see if they now dont plan on not doing it without telling me..
Yes, i am sure she will have to stay overnight :( My sister currently works there and she had her dog spayed there and they wouldnt let her take her home for the night.. :/

Well I'm glad you understand Jakoda how i feel! It's good to know that someone else has the same feelings and thoughts! Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
The gastro plexy is certainly your call, whatever your comfortable with.

If I didn't like the people at my vets, no I wouldn't leave my dog there.

You said your sister works there?? If your sister can keep an eye on her, then I would feel a heck of alot better.

If you like the vet doing the procedures, again, I'd be ok with that..

However, if I thought for one second that some tech didnt' like me or my dog, and would take it out on my dog, or be mean to her, there is no way I'd leave her there.

But then again, how would you find another vet that / techs that you trust ?

I think if you've been going there all this time, well I'd stick with what I know, than the unknown..

Good luck to you both, let us know how she makes out!

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
I don't like vets because they are nice people, I like them if they are good professionals. The surgeon could be a nasty rude person, but he will do his job well and honestly, while an amiable one might do mistakes. So, please, don't judge them by personality, you, yourself, do you go to the doctor because he/she's a nice person?
Three-four tablets of valerian three hours before you go there. It doesn't affect the heart in combination with anaesthetics, otherwise ask the vet for some other sedatives beforehand. Prepare yourself for the post-operation period, it is difficult. Your dogs emotional state is crucial for her recuperation.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, my sister works there but only some afternoons. So she will not be around for her this Wednesday..
Yes, well thats what im worried about. That one tech i have seen her do "unprofessional" things to animals and being too rough. And if she already has a bad energy to start off with, than that already could set Zelda off.
So after all this is over, i am going to be looking for a new Vet. I hope to do a holistic Vet.
And thank you so much Jakoda!! I will!

David, yes i do look for professionals too! But if that vet tech was a professional she would not be already telling me that she doesnt like my dog and say my dog is going to bite me and other people, etc. So i guess that one Vet tech is my main concern, i know she is going to be there through it. So if she behaves i just have the other few concerns with Zelda. And i go to my Dr. because she is professional and also nice. :)
I did ask if i could use ACE on Zelda when i brought her in for the spay, and they said i am not allowed to use any sedations or give her any herbals before the surgry. :(
I thought this would help her too.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I don't like vets because they are nice people, I like them if they are good professionals. The surgeon could be a nasty rude person, but he will do his job well and honestly, while an amiable one might do mistakes. So, please, don't judge them by personality, you, yourself, do you go to the doctor because he/she's a nice person?
It's true, a lot of animal-people don't have good people-skills. I don't know the vet tech in question, but a lot of techs I used to work with would treat all animals with the same high standard of care, regardless of whether they "liked" the animal or not.

Three-four tablets of valerian three hours before you go there. It doesn't affect the heart in combination with anaesthetics, otherwise ask the vet for some other sedatives beforehand. Prepare yourself for the post-operation period, it is difficult. Your dogs emotional state is crucial for her recuperation.
I disagree on both counts. One, don't go giving your dog any drugs, herbal or otherwise, before she goes in. They will give her a sedative before they start the surgery, so that by the time they put her under anesthesia, she'll already be a bit sleepy. You CAN give her a homeopathic preparation like Rescue Remedy, if you like, or a pheromone collar.

While your dog's emotional state is crucial for recuperation, the post-operative period is usually quite uneventful for a healthy young dog. Most of them lie low for about 12-24 hours post surgery, and then they bounce back so hard you sometimes have to keep them confined so that they don't overdo it! All of mine were acting like nothing happened by the second day. And this was WITHOUT any kind of pain meds. Pain meds for routine spays on young dogs was not routinely offered until quite recently, so that tells you something about how well they recover. Most dogs don't mess with their sutures, so you may not need a cone.

Yes, well thats what im worried about. That one tech i have seen her do "unprofessional" things to animals and being too rough. And if she already has a bad energy to start off with, than that already could set Zelda off.
But if that vet tech was a professional she would not be already telling me that she doesnt like my dog and say my dog is going to bite me and other people, etc.
Actually I don't think it's necessarily unprofessional for a tech to warn an owner about possible behavioral problems, but a lot depends on the way she says it. Did she actually say "I don't like your dog"? Or did she just warn you about the risk of biting behavior? Some owners actually have NO clue about their dog's behavior and the possibility that their dog may have a predisposition toward biting. So I do think it's prudent for pet professionals to bring it to light with the owner. Just because you already knew it, doesn't mean the tech knew you knew it...and as I mentioned, not all animal-people have good people skills.

However, I do understand your concern. Even though I've seen hundreds of spays in my days as a tech, and very few complications, it's different when it's YOUR baby! If you are that concerned, maybe you should find out what days this tech has off, and reschedule for one of those days?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've had great success getting recommendations for vets from people I know.

If you're uneasy leaving your dog there for a major surgical procedure I'd cancel the appointment and find a vet's office and staff that you're more at ease with. Yes it's true that a rude vet could be a good surgeon, but it's also true that a polite vet that you're comfortable with can be as equally skilled as the rude one.

Also, do me a favor and read some of the threads about spaying/neutering dogs when they're too young.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zelda went in for her spay and gastropexy today i dropped her off at 7:15 and worried about her alll day.
She did really well at the Vet and im really proud of her! I know that some dogs can act very different in such a stresfull situation, being at the vets and or being in a weird kennel with unfamiliar people. I am very happy she did well. I told them that she is fearful and perhaps if cornered i wouldnt put biting past her. I guess a Vet Tech there said that I was "Putting a bad rep on her." I thought i was doing the right thing being that she did snap at someone before. But perhaps i shouldnt have said anything..
Anyways her actual spay and gastropexy went well, $700 later (And completely broke!) I am happy i did it to be sure she would be in good hands because that Vet has lots of experience- and now i dont have to worry about her stomach flipping or anything later in life. Now time for recovery 10-14 days. Hopefully she will get back to her normal healthy self! I cant wait till i can let her run again and do our morning and evening walks with playtime inbetween hours with her sister dog. :)
They let me take her home (I was so surprised because they didnt when my sister had her puppy get just spayed!) she is currently very droopy and tired, she is still wearing off those drugs. She didnt even care that I was there to pick her up she was so out of it! Poor kiddo!
Anyways hope that the healing process goes well and quickly and also that her diarrhea she has been having recently is nothing to worry about. :)
I will update you guys later on how she is doing! Thanks so much for all the help everyone.
Should I also be looking out for depression? I know that she is super tired cause of everything and the drugs but she just seems different.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Glad to know all went well ! Now you can breathe, and relax. I also had gastropexy done when Davit was spayed.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I know you already had it done, but thought I would add a suggestion for some one else in the situation.
I have a friend who has a very large reactive nervy male GSD. He woukd not be safe to leave in a kennel until we were ready for him.

So we schedule her an appointment right before the Dr is ready for SX, she brings get dog in, I hold him(cause he likes me), we give premed sedation, and once he is sleepy she leaves. This way he is with her the whole time until he is almost asleep and then we can do what's needed safely without having to muzzle or scare the dog. It has worked very well for the 2 times he needed to go under.

It may be worth asking your vet if they would be willing to work this type if arrangement.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
This may sound trite, but in my experience dogs are amazingly resilient animals. And every time I've gone off the deep end with worry, it's been unwarranted and basically a waste of my emotional energy... And dogs read all of that. Our stress, adds to their stress. We gotta let it go.

I'm glad she's home safely. Relax and if there's a real problem, trust me your instincts will tell you and you sound like the kind of person who will deal with it :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Should I also be looking out for depression? I know that she is super tired cause of everything and the drugs but she just seems different.
What does she have to be "depressed" about? :) She seems different because she is still under the effects of the sedative. It lasts for at least 12 hours post-surgery. Usually the day after surgery animals will move just a bit more tentatively, but by the second day, most young healthy dogs act like nothing ever happened. So don't worry. There's no reason for her to be depressed. The thing I worry most about after a spay is the dog being too active!

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
A couple of days she will be her normal self. Keep her cone of shame on, and make sure she leaves her stitches alone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts