German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one female that I plan on using for breeding with a good stud. My dog is NOT titled but has certified hips.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Depends on your reasons for wanting to breed, your understanding of how the pedigrees of your mating pair mesh together, and the goal you are trying to achieve.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Does she have any working qualifications (herding, service, sar, protection)? Do you have her pedigree? Is her pedigree one that is worth passing on?
Do you know how to match her with a male who will not just compliment her, but has a pedigree that would mesh well with hers?
Have you had a 3rd, unbiased party test her temperament to provide confirmation that she has one suitable to the breed standard? How does she stack up against the standard for conformation?

What is your ultimate goal in breeding your girl? Are you willing and able to, at any point in ANY of her puppies' lives, take the animal back?

Big questions that make a big difference.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Honestly, if you are asking the question you are above a BYB. Most don't even ask.

That said. A good hobby breeder will have basic breed worthy tests done in their breeding stock. SAR, SchH, AKC obedience, agility. Something to probe the female is worthy of breeding. There are experienced breeders/owners/handlers that don't do that with their female breeding stock. But to do that you need tons of experience evaluating and testing stock.

I wish you luck. I would also suggest you have your girl tested for DM, elbow dysphasia, and thyroid issues.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I will have some testing done on her, but titles would be hard to achieve considering I got her as an adult.(replying to gsdsar)

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Hobby breeders are registered, they normally are owners of titled dogs in shows and competitions, have only one or two against a professional licenced breeder who has few females.
Of course, you can find a stud, pay his owner and, most likely say good bye to him. What are you going to do with puppies?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have a female (France imported), she have AD, SG, BH, hips / elbows OFA certified
She have had a litter in November 2011. 12 puppies.

Our experience?

Very difficult to sell the puppies.

Very very difficult to find good families.

5 families have not kept their puppy.

1 puppy was resold to four months and again at 14 months
1 puppy was resold to 8 months
1 puppy was resold to 11 months
1 puppy was resold to 16 months
1 puppy was resold to 20 months

We helped to find new families for all puppies. We have lived stress, sadness, anger.

Let us repeat litter & puppies?

Never!

Oh no!! Never!

:(

Hélène

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
titles would be hard to achieve considering I got her as an adult.
They shouldn't be, if the dog is physically and mentally sound.

It might not be possible to get top-level titles and championships in multiple sports, depending on how old she is and how much time and money you feel like investing into campaigning your dog. But you should certainly be able to put on a few lower-level obedience, Rally, and agility titles if you want -- and, in the process, get a good sense of who your dog is and what makes her breedworthy.

Titles will also help attract higher-caliber homes.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I plan on keeping one puppy(not sure yet though) and selling the others... Now I'm worried about it... I worry a lot...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay will do

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Out of respect for the animal I think you should wait until you are more experienced before going breeding a litter, simply because you feel like it or want a new pup.

I think you should have at least 5 years training dogs before attempting a breeding. You might then understand what you are breeding for.

How many dogs do you have and what age are they?

Why not learn how to train the dogs first and provide a good home to what you have.

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
I fostered a litter for the shelter (mutts) and never again because I wouldn't trust anyone with the pups. There are too many GSDs in rescue to justify to breed her. Know that many people breed their dog because they are in awe with her or him.
Just get a good puppy from a reputable breeder and you will bond just as well as with one of your own dog.
This last year I have met 3 intact females with their owners and all three asked for a breeding with WD. I referred them to WD's breeder as he created this dog and has this wealth of experience and knowledge. I am not going to breed him (unless his breeder request a breeding). I don't want the responsibility of creating an entire litter. Even though he would be the sire I am just as responsible for all the pups as the owner of the female.
So ask yourself if you are willing to take all these pups back as adults if their owners can no longer keep them.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I plan on keeping one puppy(not sure yet though) and selling the others... Now I'm worried about it... I worry a lot...
As well you SHOULD worry! Breeding a litter, and doing it the RIGHT way, is a lot of work, time, money, blood sweat & tears, sleepless nights, and more worrying...

So, why do you want to breed your bitch? Just so you can have one puppy?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, I will think on it. Please don't make this an argument...

·
Registered
32,421 Posts
So you just want a puppy from her?

My trainer had a contract that she had to breed her bitch once after all proper testing and titles attained. If it didn't take, she was done. If it did, she only had to have one litter.

The day she went into labor I got an email....

"All classes for Thursday and Friday are canceled. All puppies dead, emergency c-section, emergency spay. Don't know xxxx's prognosis yet."

She almost lost her dog. A dog that is top 10 in the country in agility for her breed last year.

So you really need to ask yourself...is wanting one puppy worth risking your female for?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Heidi, breeding is a very serious thing.
Everyone on this board LOVES this breed, that's why we're here. We're very protective over them.

There isn't anyone trying to start an argument. What we're trying to do is educate you. Breeding for the purpose of possibly keeping one puppy is NOT a responsible practice. Breeding for money is not responsible. Breeding without doing anything and everything to learn about the breed, the standard, the pedigrees, etc is not responsible.
If you plan to breed, and you don't want to be labeled a BYB, you need to make sure you're breeding for the right reasons. You'll need to be able to find GREAT homes for the puppies. The easiest way to do this is to have parents who are proven as breedworthy dogs.
You also need to be willing to take back any of the puppies at any point in their life. If one is diagnosed with DM at age 13, will you take it back because the family who got him/her can no longer care for them?

I also agree with the above post. Are you prepared for the possibility of losing your female to try and get that one litter?

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
If all you really want is another puppy just like her, go back to the breeder you got your bitch from, and get another pup from the same bloodline. Trust me, it will be a TON easier.

If you're thinking you're going to make some money by breeding a litter, think again. There are so many things that can go wrong that will cost you money in vet bills, you might actually lose money breeding a litter. And what if she has a large litter and the pups won't sell? Can you imagine having 10+ five month old puppies in your home?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts