German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I think I've stumbled on this site more than a few times before and never bothered to make an account till now! I'm a freshman in college studying to become a music major. I enjoy classical music, poetry, ornithology (birds), painting, drawing, and sleeping.

I am the proud owner of a GSD by the name of Alyss. My favorite nicknames for her are Pony, Pretty, Muttly, and Shepherd. Her story is long and sad, but in short, I got her from a horrible backyard breeder in October of 2008. In the future I will definitely be looking into more reputable breeders, but I'm hoping that's a long ways away. Her birthday is June 25th 2008 and she'll be turning five in just a few weeks!

She was a bundle of energy from the day I got her and I have only ever seen her truly tired 3 times. She was ridiculously difficult and aggressive as a pup. She would chase down dogs that were yards away just to tackle them (not nicely or playfully either). Her previous owners had kept her kenneled in their backyard and she had probably never been on a walk until I got her at 5 months old. My mother constantly threatened to take her to the pound. In the process though I have learned a lot about training dogs and if I could go back there are a lot of things I would do differently now. My mother now loves my dog, but knows that she doesn't have as good of control over her as I do. We attended obedience class for a year and continued in 4H up until the year before last. I am proud to say that though she is still dog aggressive to a point I can trust her 100% off leash. She is extremely obedient and rarely misses a command. My favorite thing to do is shout down or leave-it when we play on the beach together. She is really good at ignoring other dogs now and she has never really cared for people. She does not like strange men in the house though! She watches them constantly and gives them a warning bark when they move to a different room, haha.

All in all, she is the first dog I've ever met that has shown me loyalty and devotion. I am astounded every day by her. I never even liked dogs much until she came into my life and showed me what dogs can truly be. She can be a bit of a sass too (like me), and I swear we are alike in many more ways as well. We both aren't cuddly and we like our space. When we want attention, we'll ask for it, and we both have something we're passionate about. For me it's music, for her it's chasing balls, haha.
Seriously, I've never met a more focused and driven dog, haha. She will do anything for me to throw her ball.

These are the most recent pictures I have of her from when I went home a few weeks ago.

She actually hates the water, but it was so hot and I threw her ball in, hehe.

Waiting for her balls to move so she can chase them...

Her tongue is rarely in her mouth for long.

Next year I plan on taking her with me to college. I have already booked an apartment that accepts dogs. The owner was very friendly and had no problems with me bringing a German shepherd. I was so worried I wouldn't be able to find a place that takes dogs, let alone large ones! My mom takes care of Alyss right now and it's been so hard for her. She doesn't have the strength or will to keep up with a high energy dog while working 6 days a week. I know it wont make my life easier at school, but I'm confident I can handle it. And it will definitely be worth it. I'll be home in a week and I can't wait to start working with my dog again!

-flute

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Welcome she's a very pretty girl, hope all goes well for you too and enjoy your time with her again...

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome to you and to your beautiful girl, thanks for sharing her with us. :greet:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I loved reading your story. I can tell you are truly bonded. Congrats on finding a place that allows dogs so she can be reunited with you. She's beautiful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts