German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so tired of my puppy being sick.
We got him from a breeder, took him to the vet and he had parasites.
Treated him for that and then he had worms. treated him for that, on preventative for that as well.. then he had infections in his gut.. treated him for that... now more issues and infections..
he is never unsupervised- we don't have a yard he can run in, so we always keep him on the leash and don't let him eat dirt, rocks, etc.. (we try) and we don't feed him anything other than his food and milk bone treats occassionally. I am taking him to the vet weekly and running out of money.. I don't know what to do.. He is 5 months old tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I know how you feel, I had a rough start as well =/

·
Registered
418 Posts
Are you feeding a high quality food? Good nutrition makes all the difference.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is on Iams because that's what he was fed at breeder and I didn't want to change his food until we can settle his stomach issues. He also gets a daily vitamin. Maybe I'll look into Wellness? He's on a new antibiotic now.

·
Premium Member
4,794 Posts
Almost every Iam's product (except for 3 or 4) contains "Chicken BY PRODUCTS"! Not a quality ingredient! My guess is that your pup's tummy is sensitive to......chicken! It also contains some form of corn....another ingredient that causes dogs sensitivities.
You may want to change to The Honest Kitchen products, purchased at doggie boutiques or directly from the company All Natural Dog Food - Dehydrated Pet Food | The Honest Kitchen
HK is the only pet food company that the FDA leagally allows the words "human grade" to be used on their packaging and advertising. This is b/c their ingredients are human grade and their products are manufactured in a human grade facility.
Your fur baby also needs some digestive enzymes and probiotics. "Wholistic Pet Organics" has a great product called "Digest All Plus" (it will last you quite a while) The Wholistic Pet that could help your pup's tummy.
Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The people we got Cody and Clipper from feed Iams and we did the same and kept him on it thinking it would be better. He had a rash on his belly, wouldn't really eat it, we switched food and all cleared up. Hang in there, they are worth it!

·
Premium Member
4,794 Posts
BTW, forgot to mention that The Honest Kitchen food is dehydrated, so you won't be shocked by the price. A 10 pound package re-hydrates to approximately 40 pounds.
I am not affiliated with The Honest Kitchen in any way. I just feed it when I run out of raw. :)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Almost every Iam's product (except for 3 or 4) contains "Chicken BY PRODUCTS"! Not a quality ingredient! My guess is that your pup's tummy is sensitive to......chicken! It also contains some form of corn....another ingredient that causes dogs sensitivities.
You may want to change to The Honest Kitchen products, purchased at doggie boutiques or directly from the company All Natural Dog Food - Dehydrated Pet Food | The Honest Kitchen
HK is the only pet food company that the FDA leagally allows the words "human grade" to be used on their packaging and advertising. This is b/c their ingredients are human grade and their products are manufactured in a human grade facility.
Your fur baby also needs some digestive enzymes and probiotics. "Wholistic Pet Organics" has a great product called "Digest All Plus" (it will last you quite a while) The Wholistic Pet that could help your pup's tummy.
Hope this helps! :)
I think I am ordering the "Love" box today =/ my poor Z has upset tummy again as well... I am sure it is from all the dirt he gobbled up. Has full on runs again... I made chicken and rice to feed him all day and vet visit tomorrow. And I do have him on good food =/ Holistic Solid gold....

·
Registered
31,706 Posts
Your fur baby also needs some digestive enzymes and probiotics. :)

^^^This is a good place to start. After a parasite infection and a bacterial infection, and the antibiotic killing off the good bacteria in his system, his digestive tract must be a mess.

A better food will help but you need to fix the problem first.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm so tired of my puppy being sick.
We got him from a breeder, took him to the vet and he had parasites.
Treated him for that and then he had worms. treated him for that, on preventative for that as well..
Sorry about your trouble, however these 2 issues are normal for puppies. All puppies have worms, and highly likely there will be some kind of parasites.

I had a dog with a sensitive stomach and it was not fun trying to find a food that worked for him. Every 4 weeks I'd switch to something new until I finally found one that worked..

Good luck. :)

For your next food try a Lamb or Duck. That will be a good change from Iams.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all- I will look at a new puppy food as well as your other ideas- to help his tummy- thank you

·
Registered
283 Posts
Please double check with your vet first before switching and talk to them on how to change over. You also may wish to check with another vet. I may be soon.

Your dog may have a food allergy too. Something to talk to the vet about. I plan to get a panel run on Emma to be sure I am giving her the best. She scratches her self sometimes - no obvious rash, etc.

Also collect all of her chew toys and disinfect them. Also wipe down (disinfect) all the surfaces she has been mouthing or chewing on, including her crate if you use one. Bacteria can last a long time on surfaces and this may be causing the continued issues.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ooh- good idea- he is mouthy- was just licking his crate- silly boy.
What about his rope toys- how do I disinfect those?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I either run them through the washer and dryer - low heat, or use the kitchen sink with dish soap and a little bleach (let soak for a bit of time). Rinse thoroughly. There are numerous products out there too you can use. I hang them to dry over the laundry sink. Also clean and disinfect the food and water dish regularily.

Hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts