German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the dumb question. I have my 3rd gsh who is exactly 1 yr old. I notice that whenever he eats and then drinks, the water is so dirty from the food he was eating. I never noticed this with my other dogs.. He is also a big drooler just as he leaves the water bowl , but never drooling after that. any ideas what he is doing different from my other dogs? Thank g-d he prefers tap water and not the bottled water that I always gave my prev gsh's.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Sometimes I noticed this with mine, but I had a big water bowl they all shared and I didn't know who it was coming from. Last week I invested the money in a stainless steel fountain water bowl that has a filter and it works. The water has stayed clean:) I also put a mat under it for any water that doesn't make it in there mouths.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I use stainless buckets for three dogs, and rotate them in the dishwasher daily. It is nasty/slimy and dogs won't willingly drink from it if I just fill it. We also have a livestock waterer outside(one of my perchwork containers) that is a water source. I try to clean it out daily, as it is nasty yuk from birds or other animals finding a drink.
As far as drinking with out mess...Karlo is a dainty drinker, never slopping or drooling. Onyx tends to drink on the run and Kacie will drip as she leaves the pail. Always a mess around the water cooler in my house.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Our Saint Bernard does that. After she is done, there is dirt, food, slime and whatever else she had. It is quite disgusting!!!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
sometimes my dogs water bowl is more dirty than other times.
whenever it's dirty i change it. for drinking, cooking and water
for the dog we use filtered water from Whole Foods. i think it's
.49 cents to fill your on bottle. i have 13 bottles (1 gallon bottles)
that i refill.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
It seems like Bella leaves water in her mouth on purpose to drip all over as she leaves the bucket. Bucket is in the laundry room with a towel under it, to soak up her drips. She will drip all the way to the living room 20 ft away. Dont know how she does this. Yoko (her mother) has never been a messy drinker.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Mine like to put their paws in the bucket when they drink so the water get's dirty quickly. It doesn't bother them tho, they drink out of our pond and the horse troughs too.
I do clean it out if it has food floaties but not when it's just a bit of dirt.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I change mine once a day in the morning - pick up the bowl, dump, refill.

During the day, I just add more water. I always use watered that is from our kitchen faucet filter.

Periodically I run it through the dishwasher.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts