German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know one alternative to neuter is vasectomy. Are there any others?

And does anyone know of an alternative to spaying? Do they tie dogs tubes or remove just the ovaries??

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I have known two dogs who had vasectomies rather than full neuters and there ended up being weird fluid back ups on both. Not sure if that's common or not.

Never heard of a dog getting less than a full spay. Seems like removing the ovaries and leaving the uterus there would be the worst of both worlds - you'd lose whatever benefits the hormones might confer (although I guess you'd reduce mammary risk) but you'd still have high risk of pyometra. If you were going to remove one and not the other, I'd take the uterus and leave the ovaries like they do in people. On the other hand, then you still have heats to deal with.

If I had a vet going in there, I'd get them to take the whole business and have done with it.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying to find alternatives for young pups. Something that stops them from being able to reproduce but does NOT affect the hormones. Then, after they are fully matured I'd go with the full removal.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Lauri they are working on a sterilization shot. I got an email a while back and they were hoping to get approval in the US for some test trails. If I remember correctly it is being used over seas some place.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
What an interesting idea. Never occured to me before. Why don't they have "birth control" for female dogs?--either a pill, implantable progesterone device, or IUD? Seems like it would be fairly do-able since they've figured out the hormone chemistry for people. Would there be a market for it?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Ah. Didn't get that. If you want the hormones, you'd definitely need to leave the gonads (testes/ovaries) intact whatever else you did.

Not sure how the vaccine for dogs work. In wildlife they have created some birth control vaccines based on porcine zona pallucida that basically makes the outside of the egg unfriendly to the sperm. We've seen some kind of iffy reactions behaviorally though like deer can spend months breeding instead of doing it in their normal time frame.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Watch out when you google! There are some real perverts who do the tube tying.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1625&articleid=926 is obviously pro-spay but has a titch of information there. .

They are doing dog birth control in 3rd world nations but I think because they aren't pets, no one has done the research on the long-term effects. In other words, if those dogs die because of something with the meds, no one really cares.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Yeah, that's my concern with the vaccines. On a population level, they're effective. On an individual level, I'd say the jury is still pretty far out.

It would be nice though. We S/N everything before we adopt it out and we hold our puppies and kittens until they are at least 12 weeks old because of that - I just can't do the 6 week old S/Ns.
But I recognize that 12 weeks old is still REALLY young and it's not my first choice. Thanks to people like some recent posters on other threads, I feel like it's necessary but if there were a safe and responsible alternative, I'd be very open to it.

·
Registered
31,890 Posts
progesterone is what batters the dogs' womb. There is some type of drops. NOT PROGESTERONE, but you have to give them every day. They use them on show bitches. Keeps the womb young while showing, so that you have a five or six year old bitch with a three year old womb. I am not sure if it is 100% effective as birth control though.

I do not understand the need. An intelligent, and responsible person who is thinking about it can keep their bitch intact without her getting pregnant. If you have a boy, they do let you know usually before you see blood that a bitch is ready to come in. Once the pup has had her first heat cycle, you can separate them when you are not supervising and nobody gets preggers. It is really not that difficult folks. And a whole lot less to worry about than implantable devices, surgeries, sterilization shots, and drugs.

I cannot think of any one of those options I would want to try to do on a bitch that I may want to breed someday.

If you are considering breeding someday, you may as well build up your defences now. If you cannot keep a dog and a bitch intact and celibate, you are no where near ready to be a breeder.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I liked the suggestion of having the uterus removed as a form of birth control that would still allow the bitch to produce hormones.

I think vasectomies are a great idea for males.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Selzer this is what you are talking about: I got this info from the Repo Vet in my area:
Mibolerone drops, I know in the past there were drops call "Cheeks or something similar" the Mibolerone drop are suppose to be safer. This can be helpful in delaying estrous in bitches who tend to have abnormally short periods between heat cycles. Also used by those who are competing in dog events. It can also be used to allow you to time her litters. By preventing estrous cycles, we can preserve the uterine lining of bitches, in many cases allowing them to remain fertile longer than if they were cycling frequently and aging their uterine lining. This is a prescription drug that must be compounded for your use. I did read some where that the bitches on this would gain some muscle mass and look less feminine.

·
Registered
31,890 Posts
Yes, I think they are also called Cheque Drops. If you google Hutchison breeding vets, you will come up with it. He says it is fine to breed them the cycle after discontinuing the drops.

I would think that for most of us, this would not be a realistic way to go as you must give them every day.

Most of the American bred bitches I have seen lately could use a bit of muscle mass.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Actually they call them Cheque drops but there was a problem a few years back if I remember correctly with the Cheque drops. The Mibolerone are suppose to be safer.

I give my dogs things every day. One gets this supplement, one gets that supplement, it isn't really a big thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts