German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not big on using products such as Frontline and Bayvantic, injecting my dog with pesticides just doesn't feel right. Most of these products are also with limited effect as both ticks and lice have developed resistance to them - don't know if that's a problem in America, in Northern Europe Frontline is more or less without any effect at all, Bayvantic is still somewhat effective.

So, I've been looking for "healthy" alternatives. Last summer I used a combination of garlic in the kibble (in limited amounts, too much garlic isn't healthy for dogs) and Rosemary spray - 200 grams dried Rosemary boiled in 2 litres of Water. I gave my dog a good spray all over every day. I went from 3-4 ticks per day to 1-2 per week. Haven't tried the two solutions independently of each other, so I can't really say if the effect is from garlic or Rosemary, or both of them together

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I am with you

There are some recent threads on this if you put "tick" in the search box

Some of the things noted as helpful are a type of nematode you can put on the soil that kills several bad bug types, diatomaceaous earth, garlic, neem oil, yarrow etc.

We are doing well this year so far. I did pick up some ticks before starting the garlic but not since and have not ordered my nematodes for the year so far. We go out into the woods regularly.

I do have a product called Preventic which is a collar for ticks only which I will use if we start to have a problem but I do a daily check looking for ticks. I, too, do not want to use so many chemicals.

·
Registered
123 Posts
We are doing well this year so far. I did pick up some ticks before starting the garlic but not since
do you feed the garlic fresh? is it a supplement? Just found my first tick today-on me :mad:. Before that...in several decades living here and playing in the woods...I have never even seen a tick!! anyway...I guess I better start worrying about protecting the puppy and I would like to do it naturally if possible.

thanks

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I have only been giving garlic powder = 2 cloves per day but that has not been long enough to have an impact. We have been doing well and live in an area with many ticks. I did pull some off after a trip to the low country about a month ago but have not had any since.

So I am not really sure why he is not getting them yet. I know they are out there.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I tried fresh garlic and powdered garlic but they didn't seem to have an effect. Since I've had (multiple) dogs on Bug Off Garlic by Springtime Inc. I've pulled a total of 4 ticks off of 5 dogs in 10 years.

That reminds me that I need to get Rafi started for the year so it builds up in his system! I usually start a couple of weeks ago. :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fresh garlic is going to be a challenge unless it's concealed in something exceptionally tasty. I've made a paste where the garlic is chopped up with a bit of dried meat and salmon oil.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
The garlic I did buy is granulated though not the spring time. I will update during the season if we get any ticks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts