German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ideas on another type of ball or a different brand of tennis ball that some of the members here have used that their dogs really like and enjoy playing with & chasing....we've been using Kong tennis balls from Amazon which on the site states they are easy on teeth--supposedly ???....we've never really had a problem with any of our GSDs.....I'm asking today because yesterday our 4 year old female Aussie had one of her canines removed because it had worn to the point it was into the pulp--infected and abscessed....some of my GSDs years ago had worn their teeth into the pulp slightly over time as they aged but never had an issue...if I can't come with a better idea Callie (the Aussie) is going to have nubs for teeth in a few years...I'm not going to let that happen....Amazon has a variety of "tennis balls" which are supposed to be easy on teeth....wondering if anyone here has tried any.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Nyx was only 18 months old when she chipped a molar and had to have it sealed, as I mentioned in another thread. As part of the process they cleaned all of her teeth. And the first thing the Vet said afterward was "you let her play with tennis balls don't you?". He went on to say that there was noticible wear on her canines, at only 18 months!

Since then I've kept her away from tennis balls as much as is possible. I've used chuckit, nerf (they make rubber balls), ruffwear, and brite-ize balls.

Chuckit and ruffwear balls have held up the best.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I use Starmark durafoam, but they will not withstand chewing. I just use them for games of chase and as a toy reward because they are soft, I don't let my dogs take them off and chew on them. I think pretty much all rubber and plastic toys will wear down the teeth of a heavy chewer. I give my dogs edible natural chews rather than toys to chew on. Any toy that can hold up to chewing is going to cause wear to a dog's teeth.

Also the teeth of young dogs are softer than older dogs and more prone to damage. Once my pups get their adult teeth in I am very careful about what they chew on and catch.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I use Planet Dog Orbee balls. They DO withstand chewing, and the company will replace the ones rated for heavy chewers if they are destroyed. They also have several 4 and 5 inch varieties, which eases my mind about a dog choking on them. I also like chuck it balls, but not for fetch. I string paracord through them and use them as a reward during training.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
My dog is a heavy chewer and he destroyed all of his Kong toys/ball. Nowadays he has a Wilson tennis ball and it's a wonderful product. It's not made for dogs but you can find them on shops specialized in selling items for tennis (sport). Babolat is also a great choice.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm so glad I researched tennis balls and dogs! They are not good for their teeth and I'm very surprised the dog toy industry still sales them.

My pup LOVES the rubber chuck-it whistle balls! I just bought a glow in the dark one yesterday! She LOVES fetch with them and in the house just chomps on it. I don't know if it's the sound it makes or she just loves chewing but she can go for hours if I let her. I've seen her fall asleep with one in her mouth lol. The chuck-it balls come in different sizes too! We prefer the whistle balls because you can put snacks in them or freeze a small amount of kibble in it. She was complimented by a stranger how white her teeth are couple weeks ago. I said, well she is just a puppy still at 9 months but all the chewing she does probably contributes to the white teeth.

Here's a picture of her and one of her balls! Check out all the drool on her cot from chompin on the ball! 20181006_195243_1541640599175.jpg

20180813_190831_1541640703852.jpg

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My shepsky loves the gnawsome squeak balls ( medium size )!
I squeak them a few times before throwing and it gets him very excited, he will jump around and then go hard for the ball.

( He likes them so much that he buries them...our backyard is now like a ball graveyard ( there are six or seven out there now, I look, but can not find them!)

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
I use Starmark durafoam, but they will not withstand chewing. I just use them for games of chase and as a toy reward because they are soft, I don't let my dogs take them off and chew on them.
Cava loves the Starmark balls, but they are already showing signs of wear. I put one on a tug, and will probably need to replace it at some point, you can see the teeth marks already. They're pretty cheap if you buy them online from Chewy.com though, so even though they won't last for years they're still a good option as a safe alternative to tennis balls.

I use Planet Dog Orbee balls. They DO withstand chewing, and the company will replace the ones rated for heavy chewers if they are destroyed.
Orbee FTW! Halo was totally obsessed with tennis balls, which was a problem when we started training in flyball. I needed something that was higher value that she would drop a tennis ball for. She'd tug like crazy until a tennis ball was around and the tug would virtually disappear for her in favor of the ball. Then I discovered that she would drop a tennis ball for an Orbee ball, and tried using an Orbee on a rope as her reward toy. That was a little too close to my hand and arm as I ran away from her with my back turned, (yikes! :rofl:) so I made a custom Orbee tug. The balls will eventually break down, but the two flyball tugs I made for her each lasted a year and a half to two years, and I actually reused the balls from the first one to make the second one.

Cava is already showing an Orbee ball obsession, so I made her an Orbee tug for flyball too:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the feedback guys......I'm gonna try some of these ideas and cross my fingers that at least one will be interesting enough to break their tennis ball obsession...:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I'm so glad I researched tennis balls and dogs! They are not good for their teeth and I'm very surprised the dog toy industry still sales them.

My pup LOVES the rubber chuck-it whistle balls! I just bought a glow in the dark one yesterday! She LOVES fetch with them and in the house just chomps on it. I don't know if it's the sound it makes or she just loves chewing but she can go for hours if I let her. I've seen her fall asleep with one in her mouth lol. The chuck-it balls come in different sizes too! We prefer the whistle balls because you can put snacks in them or freeze a small amount of kibble in it. She was complimented by a stranger how white her teeth are couple weeks ago. I said, well she is just a puppy still at 9 months but all the chewing she does probably contributes to the white teeth.

Here's a picture of her and one of her balls! Check out all the drool on her cot from chompin on the ball! View attachment 514013

View attachment 514015
8 years and still going strong on Chuck It Ball's heavily used between two GSD and a Border Collie. Just bought this yesterday. We have about 4 of them in rotation in the house.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008APMO7O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts