German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried most brands of bitter spray, and most other applications to prevent my 5mo girl from getting into things she isn't supposed to, and none really prevented her. I've been working on a 'leave it', which is getting better but the problem resides with my roomate's small dog, who gets fed cooked chicken, and combo wet/dry, while puppy gets a blend of Wellness/BB kibble and gets cooked chicken as a high-value treat... She insists that the small dog's food be out all of the time, which makes it incredibly difficult when puppy takes advantage of <1min of unsupervision and helps herself. To try to curb that, when the small dog was gone, I had taken a small bit of what her meals are and sprinkled a *very small* amount of menthol on it.

The thing about menthol is that it's close to scentless (at least to us) when completely dry, but in presence of any moisture emits an 'uncomfortable minty' aroma and that cold minty feeling. I've had huge success using it with the food - after about the second time digging in, there was a slight sign of discomfort, and the next time she had approached the dish, she hadn't gotten within 2 feet when she voluntarily paused, then went to her food and chowed down. For the last few weeks, there was one 'slip-up' followed by a re-application, but since then, the other dog's dish isn't an issue.

It works for my pup, but is anyone aware of dire consequences to dogs from menthol? None of my applications ever exceeded 1.5g of pure menthol, and there have been no short-term side affects to it's application.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts