German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought home my puppy at 9 weeks old and continued feeding him Purina Pro Plan Focus Large Breed Puppy dry & canned food that the breeder started him on. He had some diarrhea issues and per Vet recommendations I put him on chicken, rice & pumpkin for 4-5 days. Diarrhea disappeared in 24 hours. It's been 5 days, he's doing great and it's time to transition back to his dog food. I've not been impressed with reviews on the Purina and would ask for a recommendation on dog food.

First, he is 16 weeks old. Should I start him on an ALS food?

Second, what ALS food has the right balance of protein, calcium and phosphorus?

Thanks, John

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either ALS or LBP. My friend's pup is doing great on Blue Buffalo grain free LBP. Lot's of pups do well with Fromm and Acana. Every dog is different and it's all kibble. I'd look for protein around 24-28% calcium 1.1-1.5% and phosphorous .9-1.2%. A little raw pumpkin and/or goat milk kefir won't hurt either.

Thanks Ausland. I started transitioning him to "Fromms Chicken A La Veg". It contains 28% protein, .96 phosphorus and 1.21 calcium. So far he is eating it with enthusiasm. Hopefully his interest doesn't wain as the ratio increases in the next week.

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
My younger dog is on Fromm 4 Star and likes it. He got sick and we changed from a high fat flavor to a low fat, but he is still on it. My other dog had to switch to LID, otherwise would still be on Fromm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My younger dog is on Fromm 4 Star and likes it. He got sick and we changed from a high fat flavor to a low fat, but he is still on it. My other dog had to switch to LID, otherwise would still be on Fromm.

Which flavor were you on & which flavor did you switch to?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
For puppy that young I'd get him on Large breed puppy/puppy food. Propac large breed puppy is the best bang for your buck at $30/28lb on chewy.com no corn no wheat no soy and the proteins are chicken AND fish. For grain free, I'd go with Taste of the wild pacific stream puppy (it is actually for All life stages). My 2 cents is on Pro pac, it's REALLY good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts