German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay possibly very stupid question here but I am really curious! I am looking to possibly get an IPO evaluation for my dog... now I know he's older(11 months) and half GSL but I'm not looking to go to the world championships, I just love working with my dog.

I have possibly an odd concern and until I can actually go get the eval done I'm just curious what others have to say. I know that being aloof is a breed trait and my dog is EXTREMELY aloof with strangers(and I'm sure many other dogs are like this), they pretty much don't exist to him.

I'm just concerned about this in regards to him having an evaluation done... maybe it's silly but I'm worried he won't want to interact with the people trying to evaluate him. He's crazy for his flirt pole, has moderately high prey drive and LOVES to tug - with me. Can this be an issue, anyone else doing this sport with a similar dog have any problems?

Like I said it might be a silly concern but I'm completely inexperienced when it comes to this sport. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
The evaluation will only include the helper doing some flirt pole, rag work stuff. The other stuff they watch uou do with your dog. Both of my dogs are very aloof but will light up when introduced to a helper. They don't want to cuddle him the want to "box" with him so to speak. If your dog doesn't show interest in playing with the helper, they can work with you to make him more willing. I have found it isn't the aloof dogs that have an issue with playing with the helper but the fearful nervous dogs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great explanation, thank you! And come to think of it he works much better for my herding instructor than me ATM but I'm still learning and still in the flailing around like an idiot stage. :)

So if he does show reluctance to work with a helper, we may have another issue entirely.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think you are worrying for nothing. :) I am sure he will do fine. As long as you are going with a good club, they will help you bring the most out of your boy. As you say, you are looking to have fun together not podium at nationals.

Good luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Aloofness will be on your side, an aloof dog will less inclined with distractions and more into the handler. As long as your dog is only aloof to strangers, but pay attention to you, it can be nothing but good, the person doing the evaluation will be ready to read this from the dog for what it is and the breed he belongs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts