German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’ve had my male 3 month GSD for over a month now. When I got him the first day, I started potty training him. He has been doing so well. Going to the door and sitting, barking and stuff. He did have a small accident here or there but I really thought we were on the road to success. The past week or so he hasn’t even been going to the door. I’ve noticed he just sniffs around a lot and I just know to take him. I’m not sure why he doesn’t go to the door anymore? He’s been having accidents a lot more as well. We were just at my neighbors who has the exact same townhouse layout as I do and he usually goes and sits at her door to be let out but he just decided to pee right at the door. I took him out and he finished doing his business then I brought him back home, he walked around the island, went right to his crate(which is literally right next to the door) and before I could even get my boots off he started peeing inside! His crate whining has also gotten worse too. We ignore him and once and a blue moon we look at him, give him a firm “no” and continue on. My mom sleeps all day because she works nights and his whining during the day while i’m at school really frustrates her. He whines and howls more and more. My mom thinks it’s because I ‘baby’ him. All I do is keep a close eye on him to make sure he doesn’t get into anything he shouldn’t or potty where he shouldn’t. I play with him, do all his training (which is going great so far) and my mom feeds him once and a blue moon to bond a bit with him. My gsd has become very attached to me because I spend way more time with him than my mom. Please help. The crate whining and pottying have to improve, my mom is getting extremely upset. What should I do?

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
As far as the potty training goes, I wouldn’t leave it up to your puppy to tell you that he needs to go. You still need to take him out very often, at least every hour, when he wakes up, etc.

·
Registered
744 Posts
King, potty training rarely works that fast. There's bound to be accidents. Mine is 13.5 months old and I just had a 4 day streak of not peeing in the house broken twice today. They're still puppies. I'm pretty sure you've got a few more months before you can be completely confident in their ability to hold it. Some people say about 6 months old. You've got a ways to go. Like dogfaeries said, you need to take him out often. 3 months old? That means he should be able to hold it for about 3 hours (generally speaking) between peeings. Realistically, you should be taking him out at least every hour especially if he's drinking water excessively. You should be taking him out after every meal, after you play with him, after he wakes up from a nap.

As far as your mom is concerned, you need to have a talk with your mom. She needs to understand that when y'all decided to bring a puppy into your lives that this kind of disruption was bound to happen. (Actually this is the kind of talk you should've had before you brought the puppy home and that everyone in the household should know what they're getting themselves into.) There has to be some sacrifice from everyone in the household. She has to understand that there is no instant fix for this. They're puppies, it takes time for them to learn. It'll take weeks, if not months and/or even years before your household "normalizes," depending on the dog. Some dogs learn faster than others. My previous GSD was much smarter and learned much quicker than the current puppy. This one is testing my patience and my frustration level is much higher than with the previous dog. But I know I have to keep working on it.

Crate training, there are others who know more about it than I do. All I can say is stay strong and keep at it. Good luck.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Don't wait on the pup to "notify" you.....you need to be consistent when you take the pup outside-you set a time frame that works... hourly if that works...it's different depending on the pup and their age....as I'm sure you know he needs to praised when he does it "right" when outside

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Griff is 16+ weeks (had him for 6 weeks) and he has had 3 pee accidents. The last one about two weeks ago. But he is by far NOT house trained. It's only because I am the one being successful. I am not teaching to whine at the door, nor will I ever use the overvalued bell ringing technique; I am not his servant. Crating, teethering and taking him out every hour does the trick. But if his habits have changed, you may want to have his urine checked for an UTI.
Also dogs do not consider someone else's house a place to be house trained in until they fully get this concept.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts