German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was sitting up at my local Maverik (gas station) with my GSD, Titan, and a guy walks up to me. Keep in mind, I had been there for over an hour waiting for a friend, so ALOT of people had come up and pet my dog. And he was great with them. Kids, teens, elderly, and even a couple buddhist monks that were staying at the hotel across the street, on their way to SLC for a seminar. So this random guy, 50'-60's, walks up to me. I'm a nice person, but I could tell titan was instantly on edge. So i put him on a down-stay, and he behaved just fine, the guy pet him and everything. But as the guy was about to walk away, Titan's fur prickled and he growled and snapped at the guy. Any ideas why? I could clearly tell the guy was a meth addict, myself being a recovering one previously, but that couldn't have set him off, could it?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Trust good instinct. Dog new something was not right with the guy. You say you could clearly tell he used meth? I guess titan seen or sensed alittle more than you.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Maybe your dog was not comfortable with so many people petting him and he had reached his threshold when this guy came along.:)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
knowing your dog was on edge why would you allow the guy
to pet him?

So I was sitting up at my local Maverik (gas station) with my GSD, Titan, and a guy walks up to me. Keep in mind, I had been there for over an hour waiting for a friend, so ALOT of people had come up and pet my dog. And he was great with them. Kids, teens, elderly, and even a couple buddhist monks that were staying at the hotel across the street, on their way to SLC for a seminar.

>>>>> So this random guy, 50'-60's, walks up to me. I'm a nice person, but I could tell titan was instantly on edge. So i put him on a down-stay, and he behaved just fine, the guy pet him and everything. But as the guy was about to walk away, Titan's fur prickled and he growled and snapped at the guy. <<<<<

Any ideas why? I could clearly tell the guy was a meth addict, myself being a recovering one previously, but that couldn't have set him off, could it?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well he always gets on edge, just because he's not used to being around people in general. But once someone pets him he relaxes and instantly hits playful mode. This time it was a little more on edge, but I had figured he was just stressed from waiting, cause he's very impatient.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Well he always gets on edge, just because he's not used to being around people in general. But once someone pets him he relaxes and instantly hits playful mode. This time it was a little more on edge, but I had figured he was just stressed from waiting, cause he's very impatient.
I don't think he was stressed from waiting.....more like he was stressed from being exposed to so many people.....he probably did very well to control himself for as long as he did......I would be super vigilant with him around the public in the future...could have been a lot worse if he had bitten the guy.:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No it couldn't be, because a week prior, we spent over 8 hours up at the renessiance faire and july jamboree, that my town has yearly. Around 100's of people and dogs. And he did spectacular and loved every second of it. Even weaving between the rebuilt muscle cars that people were revving up.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
sparra pointed out ".....more like he was stressed from being exposed to so many people.....he probably did very well to control himself for as long as he did......" which is what I think was going on but the OP then provides
contradictory statement "Well he always gets on edge, just because he's not used to being around people in general"

"No it couldn't be, because a week prior, we spent over 8 hours up at the renessiance faire and july jamboree, that my town has yearly. Around 100's of people and dogs."

if anything , if the dog were indicating the unusual it would have been the Buddhist monks . ALL the people coming over to see you were random . Not just this last "guy".
You were over there for an hour waiting for your friend. What is wrong with your friend , he should respect your time a bit better , and so , you waiting outside a gas station , you start getting impatient , angry , and the dog starts to pick up on your emotions. The dog has been over stimulated -- you put the dog into a down , his vulnerable position , guy comes and pets the dog, your body chemistry has changed , your frustration building and now this guy who you don't trust , dog stimulated, guy walks away and pressure is too much . Not everyone , or even anyone has to pat your dog - (maul) . Socializing is being out in an environment .

I think the dog read you . This is so major " I could clearly tell the guy was a meth addict, myself being a recovering one previously," congratulations , please , for you own sake stay clean . !!! major major , very difficult --- good for you.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I could clearly tell the guy was a meth addict, myself being a recovering one previously, but that couldn't have set him off, could it?
most certainly it did, trust what your dog is telling you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts