German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...when the receptionist at my vet handed my the estimate to clean my 6 yr old Miniature Dachshund's teeth!! He is very small = small mouth/teeth AND is missing half an inch of his lower jaw (birth defect)...he is stage 2...

$595!!!!!!

Jeeeez! This is the first time I've been blown away. I've never hesistated when it comes to my dogs and a vet charge- I just hand it over...but when she asked me if I would like to go ahead and schedule the appt- I told her NO! Lord only knows what they would charge for my GSD! I'm thinking about looking into other options or calling my old vet from the small town we used to live in. The vet I use in plano retired at the end of 2010 and his practice was bought out- so it's a new vet that I haven't even met yet. Anyone else think $600 for a small dog teeth cleaning is pricey?

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Wow, that is a lot. I think it usually runs around $200. I have never had to have teeth cleaned, but I get the annual "sale" flyer from my old vet.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I've heard prices like that around here, but then everything is expensive here. Raw marrow bones are a lot cheaper and do a better job!

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
That's crazy. Is he having any problems other than build up?

Look for some Tropiclean gel or foam. It works to take the tartar off. You could also either start brushing his teeth in conjunction with using the gell or give him a chicken neck a couple times a week. They will clean up.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Katie, take him to Dr Overton at teh Allen vet hospital (main street). While he's not my main vet I use him for certain things...teeth cleaning being one of them. He's been around a long time and not in business to stick to people. You can read reveiws on him online. He cleans my maltese's teeth. He's reasonable and she comes home alert (when my regular vet did it she came home drugged up and stayed that way all day).

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I would call around. My dog is 12 and his costs about $400, but that's with a "senior dog" blood workup first. I bet you could find a decent vet who would charge less.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've learned to scale my toy poodles teeth on my own. I got the scaling instruments from my dentist and my vet said I am doing a great job. I have a 14 y/o poodle with a small mouth and her teeth look like a 2 y/o's. But, if one of them did need dental work by the vet, I would pay it. Dental is very important, dental disease can cause heart problems.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Raw marrow bones are a lot cheaper and do a better job!
Yep! I freeze them and Gunner has sparkling white teeth. He was just at the vet and he commented how beautiful his teeth are.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info everyone! Jax- yes, he does have quite a bit of build up and TERRIBLE breath. I will look into the gel. Where would I find chicken neck bones and red marrow bones? I'll try these out until we can get a cleaning scheduled for him and start using this on the others dogs too.

Thanks for the vet info Emily and Carla- I'll be giving them a call!!

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
Well, if his breathe is bad, I wonder if he doesn't need a tooth pulled also? The bad breathe, to me, would indicate rot or infection.

You can get turkey necks in the grocery store. I buy chicken necks in 40lb cases but I doubt you'll want that much! Call a butcher or ask your grocery store about those. Marrow bones are probably in the freezer section of your grocery store (at least they are in Topps). Butchers would also have these.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Well, if his breathe is bad, I wonder if he doesn't need a tooth pulled also? The bad breathe, to me, would indicate rot or infection.

You can get turkey necks in the grocery store. I buy chicken necks in 40lb cases but I doubt you'll want that much! Call a butcher or ask your grocery store about those. Marrow bones are probably in the freezer section of your grocery store (at least they are in Topps). Butchers would also have these.
You'd be surprised how easily any meaty bones work. When I got Doerak, his teeth where a mess of tarter. I started feeding him very large chicken parts and in 2 days his teeth were very nice and got better.

I don't feed much raw, but I get some lamb leg bones from my raw supplier and the dogs go through those quickly and they work well also. Whole beef ribs are surprisingly soft, also.

As long as there aren't any bad teeth, go with some bones. I worry with older dogs that there are other dental problems that may need to be addressed.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
Carole - would a chicken thigh be to large for a dachshund?

If you don't have necks available then I would go with those. You can always trim some of the meat off if need be.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Katie, Hirschel's in Plano. It's a butcher shop, they have bagged marrow bones in the freezer to the right when you walk in. they are 6" but will cut for you. You probably want 3" for the weinners. THey are closed on Sun/Mon. I love that place...too bad I don't eat meat! :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've never had to get teeth cleanings for my crew thanks to raw! :D
They have the most beautiful white teeth. For such a small guy, you could get some chicken wings and they should help significantly. Plus it will be a super tasty treat.

I find the marrow bones in the freezer section in the meat department. The bag says "soup bones." It's like $1.65 for a bag that usually has 3 or 4 big bones in it. It always amazes me when people will pay $7 -$8 for a "sterilized" marrow bone that has pretty much no nutritional value when you can get a bag of 3-4 that actually have bits of meat and marrow so much cheaper.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Carole - would a chicken thigh be to large for a dachshund?

If you don't have necks available then I would go with those. You can always trim some of the meat off if need be.
You're asking somebody who gave a whole chicken to my Malinois. :) I don't believe in too large. Too small is not good, you want the dog to want to lay down and chew.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts