German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just received a call from Dexter's breeder after a recent vet check (we pick him up on the 29th). She said they found out that he has a small heart murmur. I don't like the sound of that at all! I'm already an atrociously worried puppy-mommy...

She said that this will most likely clear up when he hits 7-8weeks.

She's been very good with the pups and with us. I'm just wondering if this is something that should be of huge concern. She reassured us that it would be cleared up, but it still makes me nervous.

Thoughts? Comfort? Thanks again, guys! :)

Our little babes:

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I know its scary, you trust your breeder? They will let you know if its serious or not. He is adorable:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Check for similar post from last week or two... This is not uncommon and usually resolves its self

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys! She called us bright and early this morning stating she wanted to do whatever she can to reassure us everything can be fine. She's going to have the vet write up information saying its a very tiny murmur that there shouldn't be any concern over.

And after doing research and talking with other pup owners, I feel better!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
So cute! =)

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Cute pup:)

My breeder disclosed that her vet picked up on a murmur also at 7 weeks on my boy (grade 1-2). After a long conversation I still wanted him, my contract was noted.

He had a check up scheduled a few days later, my vet and another vet both listened and could not hear anything. He said we would keep a close eye out, everytime I went in they would listen, nothing.

Alot do close and you will not have any issues. I don't think my boy had one at all actually.

Good luck with your little one.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I just also want to add, kudos for your breeder for telling you about it, I feel like a lot of people who thought it "isn't a big deal" would not even mention it.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Many large breed puppies develop what is called an "innocent" heart murmur during growth that usually clears up by the time they are about 4 months old.

I would want breeder to cover and cost associated with it, but personally if I received the puppy at 8 weeks old and it still had the murmur I would consult with a cardiologist and determine if an echocardiogram should be done to rule out heart disease and other causes. PDA would be in the back of my mind - section of heart after birth doesn't close properly and requires surgical closure - a fairly "routine" procedure by a board certified cardiologist.

I don't think it's a giant red flag that should be ran away from. It could be a simple innocent murmur that goes away. However, just keep in mind if it does not clear up it MAY be a sign of juvenile heart disease, or another more serious problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The breeder has something written up about the heart murmur, saying its only a grade 1. The contract also states if any of the "unthinkables" happen, we can get a refund or a pup from another litter. It obviously wouldn't be Dexter... But her providing us with all the info and informing us of the details of the contract make us feel that she's a very confident breeder and we won't have any problems with Dexter. :)

Thank you all for sharing your stories and information!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Refunds are good, but on the flip side is she willing to pay for medical costs associated with the heart murmur if you do not want a refund/another pup and decide to just keep and treat? (And if it is something that requires medical attention but is fixable, like a PDA)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts