German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been questioning for a while if my little Chief has HD or not.. There is things that I have noticed that seem odd to me, being my first GSD.. it makes me want to go get X-Ray for him. Although I don't know if they would be able to tell at 7 months or not?

-He doesn't run a lot.. or runs slow or run sideways
-Runs with his 2 back legs together
-He sits like a frog
-He's slow getting up from his bed

Those are the major things I have noticed.. should I get an X-Ray done? It could be a mild case but I would rather get it taken care of now.. he is 54 lbs at almost 7 months old.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
It never hurts to get xrays done, it will give you peace of mind and diagnose any problem if there is any. It's always better to catch a problem earlier rather then later

·
Registered
383 Posts
Running sideways are normal for puppies and as far as I know gsds tend to do the frog sit a lot. My almost 7 months pup does that too. I remember how worried I got a few months back when I discovered that they are signs of hd. I almost took her for an x-ray but I was told by a friend that these traits are normal in gsd pups and my pup is too young for the vet to say if she has hd or not from an x-ray. I was told that she needs to be at least 1 year old for the vet to tell for sure. I am not about the other two signs though. If it really bothers you, then you should go ahead and do it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
124 Posts
My 13 month old still does the frog sit and he has good hips.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the way he runs yet. I would work on strengthening his muscles and letting him develop. My boy is still coming out of that goofy puppy stage which can be a slow process.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
You can only really see serious HD I'm told. I was worried about Katya because she had/has the sloppiest sit and down every. Turns out she has the highest rated category of hips PennHIP does, >90% of all GSDs tested. So don't get worked up over little stuff you'll stress yourself out. Go do a PennHIP eval, then you'll have the film to do OFA prelim too if you want.

·
Registered
83 Posts
X ray is better than no X-ray so you should get one. It's better to do it now rather than later in case than can tell. It's better to know you did it.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I x-ray my puppies at 7 months. An x-ray is the *only* way to rule HD in or out. If you're worried and it's worth the peace of mind, go ahead and do the x-ray.

·
Registered
257 Posts
can you guys tell me what is the HD you r talking about , and how does the frog sit look like?
you made me worries

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
HD is hip dysplasia. It can only be ruled out or diagnosed via x-ray.

Frog-sit is not an indicator. My puppy frog-sits often and has the best hips of any dog I've owned so far (he's been x-rayed).

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
HD can be seen in xrays at a very early age.. No vet should say they can't tell HD until a year old, that is untrue. Why would OFA do prelims at any age if you send in xrays?
The ONLY way to diagnose HD correctly is by xrays.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just spoke to a different vet that does extensive work with GSD.. they normally don't X-ray for 24 months they said because they are constantly growing and wouldn't be able to tell but they got me in today at 4 PM to check him out.. so I guess we will see..

·
Registered
296 Posts
he might have pano. my guy is 6 months and is on a 2 week painkiller/anti-inflam for it. started suddenly about 10 days ago. it was my guys front legs though causing pain, not his back. but no way to diagnose online, vet did exam and did x-rays to confirm

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Just spoke to a different vet that does extensive work with GSD.. they normally don't X-ray for 24 months they said because they are constantly growing and wouldn't be able to tell but they got me in today at 4 PM to check him out.. so I guess we will see..
Just make sure your vet knows how to correctly position. Though, if there is HD it would be obvious regardless. You should take some photo's of the xrays and post them on this thread...
Pano usually presents with a limp,pain and lethargy, not so much bunnyhopping/sloppy sits. In this case, Pano wouldn't be my thought.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will if they do X-rays but the lady on the phone told me they don't do X-rays until 24 months due to the fact that the pup is still growing... my Chief is on the small side.. weighing like 52 lbs at almost 7 months and is very short.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I will if they do X-rays but the lady on the phone told me they don't do X-rays until 24 months due to the fact that the pup is still growing... my Chief is on the small side.. weighing like 52 lbs at almost 7 months and is very short.
There is a good chance what you are seeing is panosteitis (pano). What does your breeder say? What was your puppy warranty? Both parents great OFA's? How are the littermates all doing?

If it IS HD then you may want to know early because there are managements and surgeries that work better early on before 2 years.

Hip Dysplasia In Dogs

:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for the help, I took him to the vet yesterday and he said that he can see something wrong with his left leg, when he gets up, he gets up slowly and his left leg points inwards... He put him on anti-inflammatories for a week and on the 26th we go back, if it's still doing the same thing, we will get an X-ray done and go from there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts