German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
He's a handsome boy. I love him :) Good luck on that critique though..I couldn't seem to get anyone to give me one on Piper...irritating just a tad.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I know in Kaiser's case he's certainly not to standard...he's 27" at the withers and 75 pounds (before he eats breakfast). He has light points on the inside of his legs, his front feet are a bit east-west, and he maintains his mother's feminine head. His long coat makes his chest appear to extend beyond his elbows but that isn't really the case. Maybe people are just trying to be nice instead of offering negative critiques? Or maybe they are at work ;) Either way I'll be patient. Its been so enlightening watching him mature and learning about the breed along the way.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
525 Posts
He's a handsome boy. I love him :) Good luck on that critique though..I couldn't seem to get anyone to give me one on Piper...irritating just a tad.
I couldn't get anyone to critique my boy either. It really does get irritating.

By the way OP you pup is beautiful! Sorry I can't help with the critique thing.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I can't critique either, but love the long coats. I think he's beautiful..

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
You know I love Kaiser and your photos! He has a really lovely and expressive face and his eye color is nice/to standard. They look a little light in the first shot but I think that's due to the sun. Good rear angulation and I like his chest and high withers. Maybe needs firmer pasterns, but he's bridging a little so that has a big effect. I don't even know where to begin with critiquing movement so I'll leave that for the experts. I did notice that he overreaches, though, as a GSD should when gaiting!

Take it with a grain of salt, though, because I'm still pretty clueless. Trying to learn just a little at a time, maybe when I'm 10 or 20 years into it I'll have something to contribute!!

I couldn't get anyone to critique my boy either. It really does get irritating.
I couldn't seem to get anyone to give me one on Piper...irritating just a tad.
Addressed the "irritating" thing on the other thread... but frankly, the experts on this forum do not owe replies to every person posting a thread here. They have lives and jobs of their own, dogs of their own, trials and shows and competitions and classes of their own. There is absolutely no reason why they should have to visit this subforum on a regular basis just for to critique dogs for strangers on the internet. The fact that they do already make them wonderful, but that does not mean other members are entitled to a critique for every thread they post.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I wish I had enough knowledge to truly impart some. Handsome dog. I think I would like to see more angulation in the back but once again, the comment of someone who is "trying" but does not know enough to count.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to both of you! I was worried he had tight shoulders (not sure what the proper word is) but now that he's older it seems he has a better reach when gaiting. Yay!

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Sorry. I have been dealing with horrible headaches, subzero temps and snow storms while trying to exercise 5 dogs. Sometimes I also miss the posts or don't have time.

High withers, but they go into a back that looks a bit soft. Good position and length of croup. Very good angulation in the rear. His coat is making it hard for me to visualize his shoulder, but looking at the movement photo, the upper arm could be longer and the scapula is very upright. I would like to see firmer pasterns. He could have a bit more masculine head, but I don't mind his color. His eye color fits him, nice set of his ears and good expression.

In movement he could use more reach and is definitely falling on his forehand while indicates a lack of balance in his overall structure.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry. I have been dealing with horrible headaches, subzero temps and snow storms while trying to exercise 5 dogs. Sometimes I also miss the posts or don't have time.

High withers, but they go into a back that looks a bit soft. Good position and length of croup. Very good angulation in the rear. His coat is making it hard for me to visualize his shoulder, but looking at the movement photo, the upper arm could be longer and the scapula is very upright. I would like to see firmer pasterns. He could have a bit more masculine head, but I don't mind his color. His eye color fits him, nice set of his ears and good expression.

In movement he could use more reach and is definitely falling on his forehand while indicates a lack of balance in his overall structure.
You are awesome, thank you! I get migraines so I understand how frustrating and tiring any sort of headache can be. I hope you are feeling better (and staying warm).

Just a few questions. ..

What is a soft back?

What would make him more balanced (I'm not sure I've heard the term forehand either) ?

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
The impression of a soft back is because the back looks slightly dipped to me in the photos.

I would have to see him in person. A lot of time when a dog falls onto their forehand it is because they have a flat withers, but he doesn't. It also can be due to a dog having more angulation in the rear than in the front, which he does.

Just realized I needed to proof read my critique. I meant "....falling on his forehand WHICH indicates...." and not "....while..." :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Not on topic but I was wondering what kind of collar is that you have his tags on and where did you find it?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
He needs a longer upper arm (lower part of the shoulder above the elbow) and then the scapula (upper part of the shoulder) should slant back more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts