German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my boy Niko, he’ll be 13wks on 3/30. I started giving Knox gelatin two days ago to help his ears stand since he’s been caught in the flying nun phase for about 2wks now. Do they look hopeful? I know it’s hard question to ask cause no one REALLY knows but I figured I’d see what y’all think!

·
Super Moderator
6,284 Posts
There's no way to know until he's done teething at around six months old.Niko is a handsome young man!

·
Registered
239 Posts
13wks? Um, yeah they’ll probably go up. My pup Mia had floppy ears until she was 5 months. We called her a North American Flop Eared Hound Dog.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is my boy Niko, he’ll be 13wks on 3/30. Do they look hopeful?.
They look normal to me for his age... Just give it some time, they will come up.

My boy Henry is 10 weeks old and just yesterday one ear popped up.... today it's back down. !!!

It's hard for me to say "relax" because I still get wigged out about it myself .... even after 4 shepherds....

But I'm trying to stay chill with henry... LoL
Niko is a good looking pup.

Henry:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Steff,
Make sure he has plenty of cool toys to chew on... It will help his ears and his jaws etc.
also save your dining room table legs or kitchen cabinets..... LOL !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They look normal to me for his age... Just give it some time, they will come up.

My boy Henry is 10 weeks old and just yesterday one ear popped up.... today it's back down. !!!

It's hard for me to say "relax" because I still get wigged out about it myself .... even after 4 shepherds....

But I'm trying to stay chill with henry... LoL
Niko is a good looking pup.

Henry:
Oh my gosh Henry is too cute! And it must be normal to wig out about the ears, this forum has a whole "Ears Up" section dedicated to the process! LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steff,
Make sure he has plenty of cool toys to chew on... It will help his ears and his jaws etc.
also save your dining room table legs or kitchen cabinets..... LOL !!
He's flying through deer antlers and busy bones like nobody's business haha

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
13wks? Um, yeah they’ll probably go up. My pup Mia had floppy ears until she was 5 months. We called her a North American Flop Eared Hound Dog.
That's adorable LOL. So many people say "Aww a white lab!" I'm like, nope.... sheppie.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Steff,
How are Niko's ears doing?
I was watching some guy on the Yew-toob and he suggested raw eggs with the shell.... and chicken feed...

I don't have chicken feed but I gots me some eggs...

I started giving him 1 raw egg a day... crunch up the shell real good and mix it up in his food....

In 2 weeks his ears popped up and stayed up!!
we have since switched to hard boiled eggs ....

Coincidence? not sure. But I don't think it hurts.

I've read pros/cons of raw eggs... yada yada.... store bought/farm eggs..... shell/no shell....

Alzz I know is it worked. :cool:

Here is a picture of the little stinker.....
13f5626233cc24cf04d026776fb4a71e.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steff,
How are Niko's ears doing?
I was watching some guy on the Yew-toob and he suggested raw eggs with the shell.... and chicken feed...

I don't have chicken feed but I gots me some eggs...

I started giving him 1 raw egg a day... crunch up the shell real good and mix it up in his food....

In 2 weeks his ears popped up and stayed up!!
we have since switched to hard boiled eggs ....

Coincidence? not sure. But I don't think it hurts.

I've read pros/cons of raw eggs... yada yada.... store bought/farm eggs..... shell/no shell....

Alzz I know is it worked. :cool:

Here is a picture of the little stinker.....
View attachment 559607 View attachment 559607
Hi John!

Thanks for all the info! Your pup is stunning!

Definitely never heard of using chicken feed, (nor do I have any either haha). BUT I’ll definitely try the eggs! I know chicken, eggs, fish etc. are good for them but it never crossed my mind regarding their ears.

Niko’s one ear is still flopped, he’ll be 5mo on the 30th. I’m probably overly concerned but it doesn’t hurt to try and help them along!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Niko’s one ear is still flopped, he’ll be 5mo on the 30th. I’m probably overly concerned but it doesn’t hurt to try and help them along!
Actually it can hurt. Feeding a healthy diet won't but trying to force them to stand may damage them.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Thanks again!
On other shepherds I HAVE used moleskin on the inner ear to support it.
the moleskin pads are self adhesive but often times you need to use skin cement with it.

this method worked pretty good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts