German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 508 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just a little update for the Alma-fans. I think she gained a little weight (muscle on her bones not just the abdomen) and she is eating very well (she may have been dehydrated some too). I got two cases of the special raw diet (with top quality fruits, veggies and supplements mixed in) for her (one donated to Alma by our volunteer Jan) and the owner of the company that makes this high quality raw diet gave us a VERY good price on it (and added some hot dogs for the human caretakers). He loved Alma's story and will follow it on her web-page. Alma LOVES the new food and was very happy when she discovered it. I think it will help with her feeding such a large litter. I'll be rearranging the house for the family-to-be this weekend. We need some prayers here that mom and babies end up being healthy (after all they have been through).

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Dear God, Cila, I wonder if these pups, and Alma, will ever know how they really stepped into a charmed life when you saved them! Being at your house is every pooch's dream.
I think we better meet up for a good, stiff round of drinks when all is said and done. You'll have earned it, as well as your angel wings. Looking forward to getting you some supplies.
Lucky break with the supplier of that food. Alma and the pups are in excellent hands. Here's to a smooth delivery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/26_cheers.gif

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Wow Cila!!! I just saw this. What a lucky girl (and the pups) Alma is to have "fallen" into your hands.

If you need any help with the puppies, let me know! Ooooooooooo puppy breath................

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks guys. Any help with the babies is appreciated, especially when they become active - with my work it is going to be hard. I have lined up my petsitter for extra help. Luckily I have a spring break coming up. The great news is that Mama Alma seems to be doing very well - she seems to be much more happy and perky than five days ago even though she is getting bigger. She loves her meals and her chew bones. The goal is to get her as strong as possible before the babies arrive. I am getting her some cottage cheese for extra calcium for her&babies.

Mary the supplies&stuff on my list
- towels, washable blankets, sleeping bags, sheets
- paper towels, bleach
- kid's plastic swimming pool (I discovered that this is not the season for it)
- x-pen, baby gate
- kennel deck
I'll be rrearranging my house this weekend to make space for the family. This is quite a learning experience I am sure I am missing things.

I like the drink idea after the babies are all there safe and sound.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
You're in luck, I have a kiddie pool and a baby gate. I can get paper towels, bleach.
I"m sure I have sheets, as well. I will wash the gate, pool and sheets tonight and can drop them off Sat or Sunday. Please just PM or email me the address and I will drop it off this weekend. No need to be home, I'll leave it on the porch or near your gate.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I tried to pm you regarding the x-pen but your box is full. Do you have a preference on the material (soft or wire) and what about size?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Or if it's easier for you we can meet at a Petsmart and I can ring up my credit card with some supplies, as well!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Your PM box is full!
Great. Won't have a set time, so just know it will be by Sunday afternoon at the latest. Most likely Saturday, as early as I can.
Exciting yes, but probably not what you bargained for!
ALso, I am going to be making a pitstop at Petsmart. Are there things from there you can use? Treats? Foods? Toys? I am stocking up on toys, as Rudy is having his hip replaced the 16th. Have to keep the boy busy in a crate for 8 weeks. THAT will drive me to drink.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Mary, just give me a call and I'll meet you at the Petsmart, my Saturday schedule is flexible except for 3PM. Mama Alma loves to chew (real things)so she'll appreciate chew stuff. I got some smaller rawhide chew bones for her at the Walmart and she loves to work on those. We'll need the piddle pads too.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
It's better that I just go buy some stuff and drop it off at your house, as I don't have a cell phone. This way I can mosey around shopping, and you aren't stuck waiting for me.
So I am down for:
Pool
baby gate
sheets
bleach
paper towels
real chew bones
piddle pads.
Expect a pool full of supplies on your stoop this weekend.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks Mary. We'll document everything for future generations. Hope you can meet mom, she is so sweet.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Piddle pads can get very pricey depending upon where you buy them. What I did was buy underbed liners - white absorbent top with blue plastic bottom like a piddle pad but these are for incontinent adults. We used them all the time when I worked for a nursing home. You can buy them either at a medical supply place or the adult incontinent section of Target or Wal Mart. They are disposable just like piddle pads but I found them to be much cheaper.

Also to give the puppies better footing I used old bath mats so they could get some traction when they hit the crawling around stage. I had a bunch and picked some more up at the thrift store so I just threw them away if they got soiled.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks, Michelle. This is a learning experience for me. Great idea with the bed liners, even better that they are larger!

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
If you need extra crates, I can lend you my 3.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thank you, Lori. I'll let you know when it arrives.

We should be all ready to roll on Sunday (experienced mom and inexperienced guardian).

21 - 40 of 508 Posts