German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago my GSD, Logan, got fleas and I put advantage on him, the fleas started to die, but my dog had an ear infection so I took him to the vet. She said that it was probably caused by the fleas and he might have be allergic to them. She gave me some medication for his ears. The medication worked on his ears and the infection cleared up, but then his skin was dry and scabby (I figured from his scratching the fleas), so I took him in again. She said it was a skin infection, most likely from allergies (Now she says it's probably seasonal), and she gave me 2 weeks worth of 3 different pills. I made sure he took them on time, every day and his skin looked much better by the time it was done.

But NOW, a few weeks later he's developed what looks like chicken pox on his belly and he's scratching again (no fleas in sight).

I really can't afford another vet bill, but I'll take him in if I have too. I'm currently unemployed so money is tight.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Can I use chamomile lotion or something to relieve the itching? Does this sound like seasonal allergies? I asked the vet if I could give him Benadril (sp?) and she said I could, but I'd have to give him 8 pills 2 times a DAY for a dog his size.

Any advice I would appreciate.
Thank you.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
You can try witch hazel or Gold Bond medicated powder, and I'd give some benadryl to relieve the itch/scratch cycle

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Instead of just treating the scratching, you need to find out the reason for it...what food is he eating? Did the vet ever do a skin scraping? It could be anything, and just giving meds to stop the itching is not going to solve the problem.
I buy the store brand equivilant to benedryl for a fraction of the price. Vitamin C is a natural antihistamine and will support the immune system. Human grade 500 mg to start and slowly up the dosage to 2000mg a day split between meals. Salmon oil and vitamin E are also good for the skin and coat. I would supplement with these and see if there is improvement.
I know you said you don't have the $$ for vet diagnosis, so maybe start with what you are feeding and do an elimination diet...but then again it could be environmental.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He eats Wellness Super5mix (my dogs food is sadly more expensive than my own food right now -_-).

I don't think the vet did a scraping. She basically just looked him over and said it was a skin infection most likely from allergies. She gave me antibiotics and steroids, it seemed to have gone away, but a few weeks later it came back.

With an elimination diet, do I just switch him to a different food that has a different meat? I've never had to do this before.

·
Registered
30 Posts
He eats Wellness Super5mix (my dogs food is sadly more expensive than my own food right now -_-).

I don't think the vet did a scraping. She basically just looked him over and said it was a skin infection most likely from allergies. She gave me antibiotics and steroids, it seemed to have gone away, but a few weeks later it came back.

With an elimination diet, do I just switch him to a different food that has a different meat? I've never had to do this before.
Dude, this is happening to my dog too! Same exact thing, except mine started off as a fire ant bite first time around. he got antibiotics cleared up. i moved into a house in the desert mountains of arizona where there were more fire ants, he got another set of pustules on his tummy region. another set of abx, it was gone or so i thought. i saw more pustules on his genitalia area and he started chewing the **** out of his butt it was so red i took him in to the vet they gave me steroids too. by day 3 he was bloated like a blimp so i called the vet they said start the tapering process becuase his butt was good and his belly. everything was good then i noticed around his butt, were brown liquid like scabbins around his anus deep in his hair (which I may have not noticed first go around for the red butt).

by this time i took him back and they put him on another steroid, AND antibiotic cuz his belly had the pustules again and she said it looked like a small case of staph infection. she said if it doesnt get better and stay better this time he will need life long steroids at about $200 a month. i've been so mad at the world cause they couldnt find anything to fix it except steroids and now its starting to come back on his lower hind legs. it breaks my heart so i REALLY hope you find a cause/cure cause im about ready to sell my car in order to pay for his meds if neccesary. you can see my page on the same forum, health issues, titled "need help, going crazy..." ... please PM if you find out before me!

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Instead of just treating the scratching, you need to find out the reason for it...what food is he eating? Did the vet ever do a skin scraping? It could be anything, and just giving meds to stop the itching is not going to solve the problem.
I buy the store brand equivilant to benedryl for a fraction of the price. Vitamin C is a natural antihistamine and will support the immune system. Human grade 500 mg to start and slowly up the dosage to 2000mg a day split between meals. Salmon oil and vitamin E are also good for the skin and coat. I would supplement with these and see if there is improvement.
I know you said you don't have the $$ for vet diagnosis, so maybe start with what you are feeding and do an elimination diet...but then again it could be environmental.
Definitely agree!!

If you can, find a food that has a protein that is not contain in the food that you have now. I would also look at the grain free foods or limited ingredient foods.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dude, this is happening to my dog too! Same exact thing, except mine started off as a fire ant bite first time around. he got antibiotics cleared up. i moved into a house in the desert mountains of arizona where there were more fire ants, he got another set of pustules on his tummy region. another set of abx, it was gone or so i thought. i saw more pustules on his genitalia area and he started chewing the **** out of his butt it was so red i took him in to the vet they gave me steroids too. by day 3 he was bloated like a blimp so i called the vet they said start the tapering process becuase his butt was good and his belly. everything was good then i noticed around his butt, were brown liquid like scabbins around his anus deep in his hair (which I may have not noticed first go around for the red butt).

by this time i took him back and they put him on another steroid, AND antibiotic cuz his belly had the pustules again and she said it looked like a small case of staph infection. she said if it doesnt get better and stay better this time he will need life long steroids at about $200 a month. i've been so mad at the world cause they couldnt find anything to fix it except steroids and now its starting to come back on his lower hind legs. it breaks my heart so i REALLY hope you find a cause/cure cause im about ready to sell my car in order to pay for his meds if neccesary. you can see my page on the same forum, health issues, titled "need help, going crazy..." ... please PM if you find out before me!
OMG, I don't even know what to say to that! That poor dog, and poor you! I hope I don't have to medicate him the rest of his life! That's so horrible! And 200 a month?! I don't even have a car to sell.

I promise if I find out any more information I'll let you know. :(
Keep me posted too, if you hear anything different.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've fought allergies for almost 4 years in my GSD and I'm so angry at vets who predict that your dog would need to be on steroids or who automatically attribute skin problems to allergies. Mites can cause reactions & some can be found only through a skin scraping. And $200/month for any steroid is outrageous.

Food trials - needs to be a protein source that the dog has never seen. Many use rabbit. You can get canned rabbit dog food in some feed stores. Make sure there are NO other ingredients. Peas are often used with the rabbit. That's it. Make SURE that your dog gets only these two things. You'll need to be creative with treats, if you feed them. I used ice cube trays to put rabbit in & froze them for treats. A minimum of 3-4 weeks - some doggie derms say 2 months.

Bathe frequently in a mild shampoo. If your dog is getting infections, use Douxo - you can find it at Healthy Pets on line & probably other places too. It strengthens the skin and fights infections. The newest idea about dog allergies is that their skin is permeable. I use a product called "spot on" also available from Healthy Pets. You drop it down their spine - like Frontline - every two weeks for the first couple of months & then once a month.

Wipe your dog off after coming in from outside. Gets the pollen off of them.

The allergy test skin scraping is generally good, I think. We identified a bunch of allergens and my doggie derm mixes up a vial that targets those little buggers. I give him his weekly allergy shot & it seems to help a little. He also gets vitamins A, E, C, quercitin (a natural antihistamine), a B complex and I feed raw according to the allergy recipes in Lew Olson's book Raw & Natural Nutrition.

It's not cheap and it is time consuming - but it's worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts