German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this was interesting, and I wonder if our dogs can develop a mammalian meat allergy as a response to a tick bite.

Mammalian meat allergy is on the rise in Australia and the surprising cause - a tick bite. Dr Jonica Newby meets Dr Sheryl van Nunen, the clinician who discovered the link. She found that if the tick had fed off another mammal first, the tick's blood was infected with a sugar called alpha gal. Once bitten by the infected tick some of our immune systems react to alpha gal causing an allergic reaction.

https://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4177191.htm

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
They (big pharma) are trying to promote increase in Lone Star ticks as a thing here in Canada.
It is supposed to inject something that makes dogs and people allergic to Beef, Pork, Lamb. Some constituent in these meats is the catalyst.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Yeah it is interesting I, myself had a strange and severe reaction to meat once and it was soon after I read about the ticks and meat allergy. I no issues since and it only happened once. Weird stuff. Lymes disease also can cause all kinds of havoc on immune systems. So many tick diseases out there if left unchecked can cause damage I would imagine. I have so many ticks here I just make sure I use advantix ll have been very happy with it. I make sure the dogs get an entire blood work up once a year even though it is costly at their physicals just to make sure they are all good only because where we live and activities we do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts