German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in a bit of a situation here. My 2 year old son was recently diagnosed with allergy induced asthma... well we also have a beautiful 11 month old german shepherd that us and the kids are completely in love with that we have had since august.. her hair is everywhere! I swear I've brushed and brushed and brushed to try and reduce the amount of shedding because we don't want to get rid of her... But my son had such bad asthma problems that we were in the hospital for 4 days... I am a dedicated owner and I really need to try everything possible to make this work because she is my baby aswell.. does any one have any tips or advice to try and reduce the fur? I know she sheds year round so I already know I'm in for a lot of work but I'm willing to do anything to keep her in the family and hoping my son will grow out of it like my husband and I did when we were little... any advice would help..thank you. (By the way if this is on the wrong topic forum please direct me which forum I should post in. Thank you!!!)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Emotionally hard situation for you. End of the day your son's health is paramount over keeping the dog if the dog is part of the problem.

There are things you can do in attempts to find a livable situation:

Vacuum daily
Dust bi-weekly
If you have wall to wall carpeting and can afford to do so-get rid of it. Replace with wood or tile. Area rugs are much easier to keep clean if you need them. With or without a dog carpeting is so bad for anyone with respiratory issues.
Do not let the dog sleep or go in your son's room.
Try to keep the dog away from your son's bedding, favorite snuggly blankie, etc.
I know it's part of the bond between the little ones and the dog but try to teach your dog not to lick your son. Especially his face. It's not just the fur, animal saliva can cause allergic reactions as well.
Although not generally recommended to bathe your dog to often, more frequent bathing of the dog to remove allergen causing dander can be helpful. Keep the pet shampoo mild and hypo-allergenic.

It appears your son is quite young but has allergy testing been suggested to see exactly what he is allergic too. It may not be the dog.

Good luck and keep us posted how things go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have started the process of removing all carpeting we have one room left. I know that my son's health is more important but I'm hoping that we can make this livable before coming to the point of rehoming her. We keep a baby gate up so she doesn't go in the kids rooms. I already bath her about 1 times every two weeks as she does get super dirty and smelly very quickly. But I haven't been using a hypoallergenic shampoo so I will pick some up. I will try my best with keeping her out of his face. I had no clue about the saliva. Thank you for all this information I will definitely keep you posted and let you know how it works out

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Poor baby, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm not much help here but thought it'd be worth mentioning getting a roomba, I'm still shocked by how much hair and dirt it picks up everyday . I have bad allergies and it's made a huge difference running it every day. No more fur on the floor ever. Allergy shots I've heard help some people too...

·
Registered
75 Posts
He may not be allergic to your shepherd. I have allergy induced asthma as well but my boy doesn't affect it. But hay horses cats rabbits do. Most dogs no. Good with pretty much everything besides American Eskimos for some reason. Huskys no problem.
Cats are by far the worst for me so if you have one I'd look there first. There's still hope!

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
Wood floors, air purifiers help tons, vacuuming every day to. Rugs are not good for people who have allergies and asthma. If allergic to pollen windows closed, not let dogs in kids rooms or on furniture. I hope everything works out hope your son feels better soon often kids who develop asthma young grow out of it I hope that is your case!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello! It's so bad. I had an allergy for dust since my childhood and, recently, I've bought an air purifier, that was one of the best decisions in my life. My doctor recommended ti buy several of them, because one is not enough for a whole house. Btw, now I use anpurifier only in my bedroom, and I realized, I started to sleep better. Also, it seems to me, that my pup sleeps better now either, but maybe it's just a fallacy.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Another angle but it may work: Get a paperback copy of the book "Let's Get Well" by Adelle Davis, a nutritionist who
believed so many allergies are actually deficiencies of important vitamins or minerals that our diet is lacking.
She also believed that so many drugs prescribed make allergies worse and we need to re- build our nutritional deficits
by eating more wholesome, natural foods plus supplemental vit/mins.
It worked for a member of my family years back and I still refer to her books today.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
First off, I'd get him skin tested to make sure that the dog is indeed one of his allergies. Allergists are far too quick to blame people's pets!

It is the dander that causes the problem, NOT the fur. People who are TRULY allergic to dogs will react to non-shedding breeds like poodles, which SO many mistakenly think are 'hypoallergenic'! NOT TRUE!!

There are shampoos out there that are supposed to help control the dander. I don't know if they work, but they might be worth a try.

Keep the dog out of his room. Limit his contact with it, and above all, don't let him brush it!

Allergies are funny things. I am allergic and have asthma, but if I keep myself fit, they are less of a problem. My very worst allergy is the grasses that make up hay. That's the price I have to pay for all the happy hours I spent playing in the haymow as a kid! Yet, I spent a year working in a riding stable, feeding the horses hay 3 or 4 times a day, and sweeping the floor afterwards, and had no problems.

When I ran a kennel, I had a heartbroken family come to me with their much-loved dog. They said the wife had been hospitalized with asthma, and they had to get the dog out of the house until a new home could be found.

They came back a week or two later, and reported the wife was home and doing well, but everyone was missing the dog terribly. Since it was a large dog, with a long coat, they wanted to try keeping it mostly outside, and see if that would work. I happened to have a dog house I wasn't using, so I sold it to them. I assume everything was okay after that, as I never heard from them again!

So, rather than getting rid of the dog, that's a solution you may want to try. German shepherds are quite capable of living outside if they have an insulated, cozy dog house to sleep in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts