German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been noticing 2 year old Roy has been itching/biting his skin like crazy the past week, so I took him to the vet today and he shaved where he most bites and it was bleeding a lot. Doc says it is some sort of allergy and the bleeding is from the constant biting. I also noticed dark gray spots oh his 4 legs, apparently those are fungal infections. Anyway the vet gave the dog a shot that seemed to burn a little bit for the allergy. He then prescribed Fenistil (antihistamine gel) to be applied on both allergy & fungal spots. The gel is used on humans too.

Does this sound safe to you? He may be a Vet but where I live they are not so professional. I requested a blood test some time ago he said "we are not qualified to do that here".

Now what could cause the allergy? Food? I have had the dog for a month now, the first two weeks I used to give him Royal Canin. I switched to a salmon based kibble (Nutram Grain Free Salmon & Trout). I switched cause I heard RC is not recommended. Can that be the cause?

What about the fungal infection? What could be the cause?
ImageUploadedByPG Free1372452647.100933.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Can you post a picture of the whole body so we can see? It's hard for me to comment on that one picture. Exactly where is that area in the picture?

Was there a skin scrap?

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Ok, thank you:) Handsome guy. From the pic his overall coat looks good.

That absolutely be a callus from laying down on hard surfaces. That area is a pressure point. He may just be itching because it hurts. I personally doubt a allergy. Ring worm is a fungal but needs a skin scrap to be sure. I don't think that's the case here.

Is there a mat in his crate or a bed on the floor? Is he laying on concrete alot?

This is just a random link from the net.

Elbow Sores on a Dog | eHow

Oh...I would seek another vet as well.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I think you should find a new vet

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes he got his own mat but since he is a lost dog (searched for his owner but found no one) I am discovering new stuff about him every day lol. He could have developed the 'gray spots' back when he was with his owner. Anyway, that was a relief *phew* I thought it was something more serious. I will look for a treatment. Don't think the people taking care of him before were doing a good job, he was underweight a lot.

I sure will look for another vet.
Thank you!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally took him to a professional vet today, the best in town and was not easy to know about.

Hot spot indeed. They shaved that area and gave me an antibiotic ointment and tablets for that.

I think they know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yay! Hot spot healed! However, I found another one and he is itching and I am afraid it might get worse.
Should I go to the vet? Or can I just shave that area and apply the same ointment the vet gave me for the previous hot spot?

Plus, what are causing these hot spot?!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't get on here much, but I got on tonite and saw your post. I have a long coat GSD that has skin allergy's with yeast problems. They are under control now, but she had them so bad that she lost almost all her hair (well to me it looked like it - it was extremely thin and bald in lots of spots). She had red rashes and even black spots on parts of her skin, and had a terrible odor. Antibiotics didn't help and neither did antihistamines. We tried Malaseb shampoo, but it was too harsh on her skin. I really didn't know what to do, and I had the best vet in central Texas. I did put her on a grain free diet and gave her coconut oil which seemed to help, but not cure it. Finally we found out it was coming from her ears, and then had spread to her entire body. So he gave me some ketoflush - a chlorehexidine solution to clean her ears with and then some drops to put in for 7 days - Mometamax - it's for fungal yeast infections. Then I was to follow up with weekly ear cleanings with the ketoflush (chlorehexidine) which also is for yeast type infections. And I also got a chlorehexidine shampoo to bathe her in. I did give her benadryl also while she was going thru the ear clearing up. I swear it worked a miracle. Her hair grew back and the spots cleared up. Now the vet said if she starts itching at all, to give her benadryl, and see if her ears need cleaning. Also giving them the flea pills instead of the topical meds works better too because if they have sensitive skin, they will be sensitive to fleas also. But also, the coconut oil I think is also a good preventative. If you look it up, it says it helps with infections. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck cuz I know how hopeless and frustrating this can make you feel.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
yes, you can use the same stuff the vet gave you on the 'new' hotspot..shave it up and apply..

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
My pup just had her skin erupt with some nasty oozing sores.

In desperation, I used my horse's medicated shampoo (Absorbine) and it REALLY helped. It is antifungal/antibacterial, and can be used to treat ringworm (a fungus), rain rot etc. I'm going to bath her again, but it made a huge difference in just 24-48 hours.

Also, this video might be helpful to you!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
hexakosioi, is he wet alot? In pools cooling off, etc?

Sometimes hot spots can start from not getting completely dry in between periods of being in the water.

Hotspots are caused by a number of things.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts