German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I've gone through some selective feeding to make sure, but I'm pretty sure now that Gabe's skin issues are related to environmental/seasonal allergies. They're not too serious as these things go, but he does a significant amount of chewing on his feet and hindquarters, in cycles, so likely seasonal allergies.

Anyhow, I'm just hoping for some suggestions for how to ease his discomfort.

He already gets Apple Cider Vinegar, Coconut Oil, and Fish Oil. All of which I've heard are supposed to be somewhat helpful.

I'd love to hear other ideas.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I'm giving my pup raw bee pollen, in the hopes that this helps his seasonal allergies. I'll let you know in the fall if it helped or not, lol.

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
Vitamin C(Natural or EsterC) is a natural antishistimine, so is Tumeric(found in the pharmacy, not the spice isle). Another thing to supplement with is local honey.
With C you have to start low dose and up it slowly so the dogs gut adjusts to it, 500mg daily and over a week or two 2000mg split between meals.
Benedryl is also good to help relieve the need to scratch. 1mg per # of dogs body weight. My vet recommended instead of that dosage, to go with 50mg every 6 hours for my 90# female.

·
Registered
31,708 Posts
1 tsp unpasteurized local honey. It has to be within 50 miles of you. Give 1 tsp per day. It's the only thing that helps Jax's seasonal allergies. The beekeeper I get mine from harvests in the spring and then in the fall. So make sure you ask when they harvest to make sure you are getting the pollens that are currently out.

If you use bee pollen then it has to be local as well. This, I think, has more pollen so be careful how much you give him.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, guys. I will definitely give those a try.

I did a little looking and found a bee farm about 12 miles away that sells honey in the local farmers' market every Saturday, so that's handy. From what I understand, bees tend to only range about 3 miles from their hive, so everything should be within 15 miles of where we live.

I appreciate all of the advice offered thus far, and I'm sure Gabe will, too.

Feel free to share anything else you've got, too.

·
Registered
31,708 Posts
50 miles. It's not about where the bees range but where the pollens are. That's why they say 50 miles. Just make sure to ask when it's collected so you are getting the spring pollens. I switch Jax in July to the fall honey.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
50 miles. It's not about where the bees range but where the pollens are. That's why they say 50 miles. Just make sure to ask when it's collected so you are getting the spring pollens. I switch Jax in July to the fall honey.
Jax08, I noticed that Bear's eye's are getting goopy again and that this is supposedly going to be the worst year on record for allergies. When do you start the honey? I was thinking it's too early but then the goopy's started.

·
Registered
31,708 Posts
Our grass is starting to green up so I'll start Jax in the next week or so. Did it help Bear last year?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Our grass is starting to green up so I'll start Jax in the next week or so. Did it help Bear last year?
Yeah, I think it helped both Bear and I a bit, So I'm going to give it a go again. I'm just amazed that he started getting goopy in the eyes already, but them again it was 70 degrees here yesterday and today we have 18 degree temps and in the middle of a blizzard...go figure!

I didn't think that the Colorado climate would bring on allergies that I never had before, but I guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I know it was 50...but if the bee farm is 12 miles away and bees don't range more than 3 miles, that means that all of the pollens are from within 15 miles of where we live. WELL within the recommended 50. That's all I meant by that.

Also, could you give me a basic idea of your allergy schedule as a general guideline? What to start/stop and when?

·
Registered
31,708 Posts
I will start now that the grass is greening up, switch right before the fall flowers come out and stop after the first hard freeze. PA is a lot different than TX so you will have to figure out what works best for your dog and when his allergies are bothering him. Jax's allergies were nuts when we were in TX in May and didn't affect her once back in PA for a few more weeks.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And to make it even more difficult, we'll be moving to Tennessee in the fall. Oh, well....we'll just give it a go and see what works.

·
Registered
120 Posts
What brands of food have you previously fed him and what brand of food is he currently eating? How long has he had this skin issue? Does it seem to worsen if you change something and if so, what? Are there any plants indoors or outdoors that he usually gets into and if so, what kinds are they? Does his allergies seem to be worse when you clean around the house with a specific cleaning product?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He's raw fed. I've been varying between chicken, pork, beef, venison, and mackerel.

He had some itching and skin issues that I now think were allergy-related in August and November, and he hadn't had any symptoms again until recently. They're worse right now than they've ever been. The pattern seems a lot like my own allergies.

I don't have any plants indoors. He plays outside every day, buy doesn't mess with any plants except the grass. And no, I don't notice a difference when I clean.

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
My dogs are all scratching now because they are starting to blow coat. Daylight hours are triggering it, not so much the change in temps. I think we do see itching heavily in spring/fall because the dogs are changing out their fur...even if they don't seem like they are heavily shedding, it''s still happening. Then add in the pollens, and it is just miserable for the ones with environmental allergies :(

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...even if they don't seem like they are heavily shedding, it''s still happening.
In a NORMAL house it would seem that way. I think we're all just used to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts