German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm super sorry for double posting this but I wasn't sure where to put it. My 9 month old pup has a weird irritated spot on one side of her face. It used to not bother her but lately she's been rubbing at it with her paw. We don't give her any food or treats with wheat or corn or any weird byproducts. After noticing the spot I asked an employee at a dog food store about it and she suggested taking chicken out of her diet, since most of her food had a lot of chicken in it. So we ditched the chicken treats and switched her to Natural Balance with sweet potato and venison, but the spot hasn't gone away and now she's losing hair there. Are there common allergens for GSDs? Should I pay to have her tested for allergies? Money is kind of tight but I don't want her to have an itchy irritated face if I can help her. Thank you!

·
Registered
31,717 Posts
Have you taken her to a vet? Is it a hot spot? Or an infection?

No. I would not start with expensive allergy testing. I would start with a vet check. They may prescribe something to help her.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked the vet about it in December when we got her spayed, and they took a skin scrape and I believe they only tested for one or two things that they thought it might be. I can't remember what they tested for. The tests came back negative and they didn't suggest any other options.

·
Registered
31,717 Posts
Can you get a picture of it? Is there any discharge?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's no discharge. You can't really see it in this picture, but I can take a better one tonight. It's on her right side, right by her nose and it goes up towards the end of her mouth and it's starting to happen under her chin a little bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
My vet told me that the food allergy test isn't very accurate, when I wanted to figure out my puppy's allergies. Basically, you have to do an elimination diet. I checked the kibble you're feeding now:Ingredient Listing/Guaranteed Analysis

Sweet Potatoes, Venison, Potato Protein, Pea Protein, Canola Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potato Fiber, Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

I'm not an expert, but there doesn't seem to be any real meat protein in there, since the venison is measured when wet, so it's mostly moisture - although it's high on the list it's misleading. Canola oil is iffy too. Maybe trying another kibble is the answer, since the area's getting worse not better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have any kibble suggestions? Before Natural Balance we were giving her Blue Buffalo Wilderness for Puppies.

·
Registered
31,717 Posts
Natural Balance is an LID food with an unique protein source so should be fine. Food allergies account for a very small percentage of allergies. So look around your environment...are there pollens? Molds? Dust?

I would take her back to the vet and get something to put on that. If it's been raw for a while, it could be infected.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I don't know what kibble your pup would do best on, so I can't really suggest one. I've used Fromm's and Acana and they're both good, but there's so maaaaaany others out there, lol! I just think that there might be a connection: the area's now losing fur and you're feeding a new kibble - maybe this new kibble might not be the best choice. Chicken gets blamed for lots of problems, but it could be beef....heck, anything really.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is her face. The top right picture is the left side of her face which looks normal, to compare with the other pictures. It just looks very irritated and dry. Someone suggested I try rubbing chapstick with sunblock on it in case it was some kind of sun burn, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I mean fixed the photos, not the problem. I'm buying new food tomorrow and I'll switch to potato and rabbit and see if that helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also there's no molds anywhere that I am aware of, and we do have some blooming plants that hang over our fence from the neighbor's yard but they've only been blooming recently and she's had this for several months. And there's a lot of dust in our town because we live near a landing strip, and we also live near a beach so there's sand and fleas. But I give her flea medication every month and she doesn't seem to be itchy anywhere but that side of her face. We also have a cat but they usually avoid each other and the cat has never scratched the dog.

·
Registered
31,717 Posts
I would have that spot tested for mange...both kinds. As far as I know, mange can be spotty like that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts