German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my pup has been suffering with skin allergies and also tail chasing. the vet has given him sprays, shampoos, ointments and steroids - none work. i tried home remedies of apple cider vinegar with water, witch hazel, changed his food diet - still nothing has worked. i was looking on line for something to help him and i came across allergicpet.com website in tampa, fl. they have a product called skin-eze, and, i was wondering if any of you have heard of this product, or you have used it; and, what results did you get. do these herbs and spices make sense to use on a dog with allergies. any input would be greatly appreciated by me and, more importantly, my little guy. thanks.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
You really need to try and figure out the source of the allergies. Have you tried an elimination diet?

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
I would start him on vitamin C if you haven't already and either do the elimination diet or have a blood allergy test run.
What does the vet say about the tail chasing? Is he chewing it, too or just chasing?
He may need a chiro adjustment!
I haven't heard of the product you listed, holistic methods may help but usually you need to know exactly what the cause is for the herb concoction to be effective.
http://www.allergicpet.com/skin-eze_contents.html

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would start him on vitamin C if you haven't already and either do the elimination diet or have a blood allergy test run.
What does the vet say about the tail chasing? Is he chewing it, too or just chasing?
He may need a chiro adjustment!
I haven't heard of the product you listed, holistic methods may help but usually you need to know exactly what the cause is for the herb concoction to be effective.
What's in Skin-eze?
we have him on 600 mg vit c. we are going to up it to 1000 mg. we are doing the elination diet. other than saying he could outgrow doing the chasing as he gets older, the vet hasn't said much on the tail chasing. and, yes, he does chew his tail.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Gsds are prone to tail chasing and it can become an obsessive behavior- but if he's chewing it too it's probably from his allergies. Poor guy. Is there a canine dermatologist in your area?

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
If you are doing an elimination diet, you can't be giving supplements of any kind. What sort of elimination diet are you doing? Are you feeding home prepared so you have complete control over what your dog is eating or are you trying different kibbles and hoping for the best?

·
Registered
168 Posts
A number of canines can be allergic to chicken and chicken bi products I would look there first. My vet suggested for one of my pets that had a skin allergy tea. What you do is make a pot of tea, bring it to room temp and put in a spray bottle. You then life your GSD's coat as best as you can and spray the skin with the warm tea. Be sure it warm not hot, room temp work quite well.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
If only that would work!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had my pup on a food allergy diet for 8 weeks. It was nothing but rabbit and potato food. For treats it was marshmallows....nothing else! No changes...so she's back on venison and sweet potato.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Just to be clear, was this actual rabbit and potato or a kibble? It's very possible your dog has allergies to the rabbit and/or potato. Did you try something else after that that your dog has never ever touched before?

You can't be giving any treats either, not even marshmallows.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have been eliminating slowly all the dry food and can food i've been giving my guy. i am trying to give him (by increasing daily) taste of the wild pacific stream with smoked salmon. i'm hoping by eliminating all grain, meat, poultry, i'll see if his skin allergies get better. i want to make him some treats. the one i'm looking at is 1 can salmon, 2 eggs and 1/2 cup white flour. is white flour okay to use. if not, what else to substitute with. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It was the prescription Royal Canin Rabbit and potato dry and wet food. The dermatologist told me that pup could only eat this and to only give marshmallows as treats. The marshmallow idea was from the dermatologist. She's back on Natural Balance venison and sweet potato. I chose to put her back on this because her urine ph and stools were great on this food. Her itching and knibbling is a bit better. I have thought about switching to TOTW because I've heard great things but I'm not sure I want to do this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quick question -- I've seen vit C recommended a few times for dogs that have allergies. Is this something that's supplemented? Like crumbling up a human vit C chewable tablet? That's really effective in helping a dog with food allergies? Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts