German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been trying to get Malachi used to a Raw diet since I rescued him. He loves it and has been putting on weight nicely.

I noticed some paw chewing the other day which I know is usually consistent with a food allergy.

I am wondering if anyone has dealt with food allergies on a raw diet, and what the most common allergies for GSDs are on a raw diet. I'm hoping to get some breed-specific answers, though I realize that may be difficult. I guess what I'm saying is, if you have a GSD, and have experienced food allergies, please post with what your dog was allergic to. I'm interested if there is perhaps one allergen that seems to occur more often with GSDs.

Obviously allergy testing is the only way to know for sure, or a long process of elimination..I'm just curious! Thanks!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I was just reading about 'detoxing' when coming off regular food (though I have NO idea what he was eating before I got him). Could that be what this is?

(this thread should probably be moved to the BARF/Raw Diet forum) sorry still getting used to all the forums!

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
A chicken allergy with one of my dogs moved us back to a kibble diet. It was too hard for me to source affordable "non chicken" meats. In NC you have more luck though at the grocers getting just out of date meats than in SC where DHEC requires them to be tossed. ............

However, I did not read the thread but when I switched on dog to raw she had hot spots all over her body for a short time then the most luxurious coat came in

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jocoyn, I didn't know that! Thanks!

Are these out of dates on display in the freezer? Or do I have to ask the butcher at the store for them?? I have been wondering the best way to get cheaper meats..purchasing a 3lb log of ground beef every week for 8.98 is pricey!! Esp since it's not enough! Haha..

Kai has some hotspots too, but he had them before the raw diet..hoping they will heal once he's been on it a bit longer. He's been on the raw diet for a week now.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
When I lived on the state line I used to just did through the meats in the store and find just out of date ones and ask to speak to the manager or butcher. They usually gave me half off.

Once things get more settled in my house, I am going to buy grass fed direct from a local farmer and ask about getting "Scrap" for the dog...at the store one pound of grass fed/finished ground beef is about $8.98.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice..i can already tell the butchers around here are just going to LOVE me :rolleyes:

8.98 for one lb? thats nutso. Is it bc it's grass fed?

was this generally beef that you found out of date?

·
Registered
31,717 Posts
Food allergies are actually not common. But since he is on a raw diet, it's easy to find out. Start with one protein and only give that protein for a minimum of 1 week, possibly 2. If he does ok on that, add another protein and repeat the process.

Do not give him any treats that aren't of that same protein either.

If he continues to lick and chew I would look at environmental allergies.

Banshee doesn't tolerate chicken. She's not allergic to it, it just causes gas and discomfort. So while he is on one protein, make sure to look for more than just paw licking and scratching. However, she is fine with duck and turkey so it's not all poultry

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's a good idea. I was reading that chicken is the most common food allergen in dogs..i found that interesting. I haven't given Kai chicken yet. It's mostly all been beef and some turkey. I'm giving him pork tonight so we shall see..

·
Registered
418 Posts
Not sure if your giving raw eggs or not but Niko is allergic to anything chicken or fish, it's a good thing he loves beef

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I have been incorporating raw eggs. Why? Kai loves his beef, too!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just saying Kai might be allergic to the eggs.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
It may not even be an allergy, but more a detox. Sometimes you just have to ride it out.

If paws could be a yeast issue (systemic) - again - detox. spritz 50/50 organic apple cider vinegar/water on paws to kill yeast and bacteria

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Paw chewing doesn't necessarily have anything to do with food allergies. It's a very common area for allergy symptoms to manifest but those symptoms are more likely to be from environmental allergens. My friend's dog has environmental allergies and gets yeast between her pads when her allergies are bad.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It definitely occurred to me that it could be environmental. The only reason I felt like it wasn't is bc I've only seen him do it that one day. He didn't do it before, and he hasn't done it since. I was really just more curious about what other folks have experienced in regards to allergies on the raw diet....just my curiosity :D

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
My GSD Bianca was allergic to poultry. She could not have chicken or turkey in cooked or raw forms.
However she could eat raw duck, but not duck-based dry dog food.

The allergies would show up as skin issues mostly, with some digestive issues less often. When I first got her she had scabs on her skin and a poor coat, and her previous owner had been feeding her a raw diet based off of chicken. They attributed the skin to being dry in their house due to a wood stove heater, but my vet suggested she might be allergic to chicken. Once I got her off poultry her skin/coat cleared up.

I usually stayed away from eggs with her just because I've read that some dogs with chicken allergies don't do well with eggs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts