German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Benadryl isn't cutting it for Gracie. She's on temaril-p for 21 days (decreasing doses) and then we need to decide on a new anithistamine. What is everyone else using? The vet suggested cyclosporin (Atopica) but is SOOOOO expensive. Someone else suggested shots but we had a dog react terribly to them. Maybe try hydroxizine (Atarax).

I don't like the temaril-p due to the side effect of panting. I hate when Gracie pants heavily, I want to fix it!!! She is drinking and urinating tons, that I can deal with, but to just be laying, watching TV and panting, I feel so badly for her.

I'll take ideas so I can go armed to the vet in a few weeks!!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I wish I could help but you know I am beside myself over here

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
We used hydroxyzine...but knock on wood we haven't had to use it in awhile. I still have it on hand just in case. (I hope I didn't just jinx it, things are going so well with no itchies right now)

We used one, can't remember the name off the top of my head, that made Levi bounce off walls in the middle of the night - constant pacing, etc. That wasn't fun.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Did you ever consider taking her to a holistic vet- maybe someone who is qualified in classical homeopathy or chinese med.?

Continually suppressing her symptoms with drugs will just make her needing stronger drugs over time, not considering all the side effects.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Tavist (but not D) is something I've used.

Of course, this was when I brought Ilsa in and Ilsa brought fleas in and I thought it was just regular itching and it was flea itching-they were all over her. EEEK! But the Tavist did help the poor dogs until I figured it out.

Kramer has been on it way in the past before I switched foods, too.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I use raw honey, obsessive vacuuming, freakish attention to his diet (he eats raw), and constant bedding washing (ours and his). That's it. I used to give antihistamines (hydroxyzine, benadryl, etc, all under vet's care), but those made him anxious. I had no idea that the antihistamines were causing this, though. This is a side effect that vets don't seem to be aware of. My new trainer picked up on it immediately though.

The raw honey has worked WONDERS. I'm thrilled with the results. Camper hates it. Sweet gloopy stuff on my raw meat? You gotta be kidding. But I saw results fast.

Zamboni (my senior) recently developed a rash on her tummy, so my vet prescribed the OTC chlor-trimaton, not nearly as strong as benadryl; and she developed confused thinking, which fortunately, I immediately recognized as possibly being a symptom of the antihistamine. Sure enough, I pulled her off it, and the confusion was gone.

So, I've walked away from all antihistamines. Entirely. Forever. Maybe some dogs can take them, but I wonder if my two dogs (different breeds, far apart in age, completely different backgrounds, different diets) are so unique?

So, that's my new perspective, for whatever it's worth.

Maedchen's advice about a holistic vet seems like good advice. I've never used a holistic vet. I stumbled on raw honey reading Whole Dog Journal. But basically, giving raw local honey for environmental allergies does what homeopathy does (I think...as I understand homeopathy anyhow).

Just my two cents. Adjusted for inflation, it's worth about $0.001

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Originally Posted By: 3K9MomThe raw honey has worked WONDERS. I'm thrilled with the results. Camper hates it. Sweet gloopy stuff on my raw meat? You gotta be kidding. But I saw results fast.
This is what we do too!!!! And it works. I also use Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. And Levi LOVES the honey...he now comes running every time I take silverware (he eats it off a spoon) out of the drawer because he thinks he is getting some

But, I do know you have to be careful with Gracies stomach issues.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Gracie's stomach issues, meaning her SIBO?

For Camper, the honey didn't affect it one way or another. And as you know, he has a very sensitive system.

Melissa, I'm glad that honey is helping Levi. That's great!

·
Registered
18 Posts
HELLO, H AVE BEEN THROUGH THE SHOTS AND THE WHOLE THING BUT STUMBLED ACROSS A PRODUCT CALLED CONCENTRATED YUCCA JUICE AAND ALSO SPRINGTIME LONGEVITY AND ALSO WELLNESS CORE DOG FOOD THAT IS FANTASTIC. WE HAVE BEEN DOCTURING FOR 2 1/2 YEARS AND THIS IS THE FIRST TIME HE IS NOT ITCHING AND SO MUCH HAPPIER. WE TORE OUR OUR CARPETS THINKING THIS WAS THE PROBLEM SO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH. HE IS GROWING HAIR BACK IN THE SPOTS ON HIS BELLY AND SLEEPS SOUNDLY ALL NIGHT LONG. THANK GOD. GOOGLE THIS AND TELLS ALL ABOUT IT.. HOPE THIS HELPS

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the ideas. Thank you too for realizing about her SIBO and being concerned it doesn't upset her digestive system. That care meant a lot to me!

I will think about the honey - maybe ask her vet what he thinks. She's doing really well right now, I have her on as low a dose as possible of the temaril-p (lower than the Rx but it's working just fine).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts