German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember my threads on my dog and her giardia issues.

She was getting recurring giardia infections all last year. Since changing her to raw, her tummy seems to be a lot better. She's 15 months old BTW.

Now she's got a skin infection, pyoderma? Super itchy, oozing red bumps, hair loss etc. Vet has put her on antihistamines, antibiotics (2 week course) and a very low dose of prednisone (for one week)

Vet thinks she has allergies which triggered the itching, which cased scratching, and probably got the bacteria infection that way.

She's suggesting allergy testing and possibly doing some sort of exposure therapy? Sounds scary and expensive. lol

I'm wondering with the giardia, she told me that most dogs can fend off giardia infections on their own with a healthy immune system.

I have rebooked an appointment for 2 weeks from now and asked the receptionist to ask her about doing IGG testing? The vet wants to do allergy testing first.

Is allergy testing accurate? I've heard it's unreliable?

Is IGG testing accurate?

How would you proceed?

My gut feeling is telling me it's an immune system issue, I saw little to no improvement when she was on Reactine, however, I do seem to recall her getting some red bumps on her tummy last summer, which I thought could have been bug bites? But perhaps it was a seasonal allergy.

I'm prepared to do both if need be, but would like to work in a logical way to figure this out, without breaking the bank as much as possible. Good thing I just got a bonus at work! :eek:

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Allergies are an immune system symptom

rash/red bumps are Probably from the heat, 50/50 ACV and water, coconut oil rubbed on after and try Seacure and bovine colostrum (re: IgG) (SeaVive - sorry if you could google, I am too tired to look for link)

also L-Glutamine to heal the GI tract from damage due to giardia and repair "leaky Gut" which could result in circulating proteins and allergy "like" reactions from a stimulated immune system reaction to these proteins...

try for couple months...keep up the RAW and also add probiotic and enzyme...Berts Blend has l-glutamine in it and probiotic as well pancreatin to hydrolize the proteins for less immune/allergy reaction.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would tripe provide the enzymes? I feed her that frequently.

I tried the rinse, it was not working.

I was reading up on the colostrum and was tempted to try it, but I guess I was worried if she has an autoimmune disorder and that I read trying to bump the immune system can make it worse?

Ack!!

Would you do the allergy/IgG/IgA/IgE testing? Are they accurate and worth the expense?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
It depends which route you want to go: holistic or allopathic.

Rejuva spray and calendula also work great to fight those kinds of infections. Rafi has one spot in his groin area right now and I've been alternating coconut oil, calendula cream and Rejuva spray and it's healing very quickly.

Do you have rugs? Do you use only natural cleaners in your house?

Also, I agree that it's very important to replace the good bacteria that the giardia and treatment for giardia wiped out. My cats have immune system issues and they get probiotics and prebiotics and vitamin C daily. That has worked well for them.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The giardia hasn't been an issue for some time now, thankfully!

I wash her bedding on the sanitize setting, no detergent. I steam mop the floors and carpets, so no detergents there either.

This had spread all over her body, using a spray was hopeless. I was using Vetricyn, a medicated shampoo, nothing was helping.

She's doing better with the meds, not sure what will happen once she's off them.

I'd like to go as holistic as possible, but so far all the holistic stuff hasn't been helping. I think she has an allergy/immune system issue and I'm not sure how to go about managing it.

Right now I feel like I'm treating the symptoms without knowing why it's happening. I guess I was wondering if there were some tests I could do to get a real diagnosis.

Maybe I'll start with allergy testing and go from there. At least if I know what she's reacting to, I can hopefully eliminate some things from her diet/environment

Thanks guys, sorry about all my posts. My poor girl is not the healthiest, it would seem. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts