German Shepherds Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Canine Activ

Canine Activ is a safe, non toxic pain relief homeopathic analgesic that promotes improved mobility in dogs. The company offers this in small, medium, large and High performance. The Company also offers free samples and money back if you are not happy. Feel free to look at the website and or call 1-855-442-6466 for more information. Products are also offered on Amazon!!! Great Product! I will never put my dog on Rimadyl ever again!

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Been there...Peri suffered from it....i ran a limited food allergy blood work and found out he is allergic to certain proteins and borderline on a few and also oats. He has always been on a raw non-grain diet but the shampoo i had been using had oats...so i moved on to organic oscar aloe based shampoo/conditioner.
He gets heartworm medication, but i switched to Natural defense for tick/flea control. I am in ohio and he is very much indoor dog. I spray it on him every time we leave the house. I don;t use bleach to clean his bedding just Mrs. Meyers.

I also added turmeric powder, neem bark powder , probiotics and bovine colustrum. Coconut oil instead of fish as he was borderline allergic to fish. Once in a while i try a new protein and within days he will itch and lose hair on his ears. His allergic to eggs, i tried quail eggs, it did not work. With him, i have had response within 2-3 days when i remove the food that causes the allergy. Your boy might be different in the response time.

Amazon.com: Surthrival Colostrum Powder 6.5oz: Health & Personal Care
Jarrow Formulas, Pet Dophilus, 2.5 oz (70.5 g) Powder - iHerb.com
Genceutic Naturals, Turmeric, 300 mg, 60 NP Natural Capsules - iHerb.com
Artisana, Raw Coconut Oil, Virgin, Organic, 16 fl oz (473 ml) - iHerb.com

·
Registered
88 Posts
What does the apple cider do for dogs with allergies? How many times do you spray the with it? My dogs for the first time have environmental allergies according to the vet. It has been a very wet summer for us and the vet said there is some fungus growing in the grass as a result. They are losing hair and you can't even pet them without them scratching. I am tired of them being on medicine and am looking for alternatives. We do bathe them in an anti-fungal, anti-bacteria shampoo from the vet twice a week.

Any advice would be appreciated. My dogs are over 80 pounds

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. It can be used internally and externally.

If it were my dogs, and since it doesn't seem like it's working, I'd switch to a natural, non chemical shampoo like Castile Soap. The brand name I use is Bronner's found in health food stores. The baby soap is the most mild, but Almond or Lavender is fine too. https://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/category/BABYMILD.html I would also stop bathing them so much. They are loosing all of the natural oils in their body. A bath once in a while should be sufficient.

Here is my recipe that we use for the dogs and for ourselves:
SHAMPOO:
Items Needed:

• Castile Soap (natural, mild human soap, non GMO) can be purchased at a local health food store or over the internet. It’s about $10 for 16 oz. so this will make 4 regular recipes. FYI, most dogs do not like the peppermint scented one!
  • Vegetable Glycerin – Food Grade (human moisturizer used in lotions) can be purchased at a local health food store or over the internet. 16 oz is approx. $7 and will make 4 regular recipes.
  • Clean, Empty Plastic Bottle (an empty shampoo bottle or water bottle with a valve on top is convenient)
  • Funnel
  • Purified Water
Natural Shampoo
½ Cup Castile Soap
½ Cup Vegetable Glycerin (this amount can be increased if your dog has a dry a coat or flakey skin)
½ Cup Water (purified water, not tap water) Add the water to the bottle first to avoid bubbles.

Using a funnel, measure and pour into the empty bottle: Water, Castile Soap, Glycerin. Turn bottle upside down slowly a few times before each use. Keep away from eyes during use.

For a rinse after bath and single applications, purchase some Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar from a health food store and make a 50/50 mix of the the ACV and purified water and after the bath rub this down into the skin/coat being careful of eyes. Let dog drip dry.

You can put some in a spray bottle and spray on their coats once or twice per day until you see improvement. Also use this to wipe out ears.

You may find this thread interesting.
S.O.S Pale Gray Dandruff Skin on Back
Problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggieDJ
Hi ,
My 4 year old shepherd has some sort of irritation on her ridge/back. Her coat lost all of its shine and looks like a coarse black cotton ball, definitely has a lot of dandruff in the irritated area and it sort of smells. Not like garbage but musky, I cant put a word to the smell.

Solution:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggieDJ
"Day 4 of the ACV apple cider vinegar and I kid you not its gone!. Reggie's hair is soft, the skin is lightening, the build up is gone and if I scratch her back she doesn't shake her leg, just happily wags her tail. I'm going to continue for another day or two just in case."

Have your dogs had their thyroids tested?

What brand name food and treats are they eating? Did your vet put them on a allergy specific food?

Have you considered a NutriScan food test or a Heska environmental/food test?

Another thing that could help:
Povidone Iodine purchased from the drug store: in a small bowl, pour some povidone iodine into a small bowl and dilute it with warm water (purified water) until it is the color of iced-tea. Use a clean cloth each time and bath the effected spots or wipe all over body with this. Don’t rinse off, just pat dry. Do this 2 times daily.

Choose the Apple Cider Vinegar OR the Povidone Iodine for a daily wipe, but not both at the same time. You can try one for a few days and then the other and rotate them.

Food Products you may want to consider for the skin:
*Raw Organic Virgin Coconut Oil (NO hexane) mixed into their food (can also be rubbed into skin.

OR the following all human grade items.
*Sh-emp Oil (Combination of Herring Oil, Coconut Oil and Hemp Oil): http://ineedthat.corecommerce.com/SH-EMP-OIL.html
*Phyt-n-Chance (superfoods, which includes cleansing/detoxification, anti inflammation, and phyto nutrition supporting immune health): http://ineedthat.corecommerce.com/Phyt-n-Chance-K9-A-Highly-Concentrated-Antioxidant-Blend.html
* Power Of EA’s (a unique blend of natural, health enriching oils that are high in omega 3. It also provides a rich source of beta carotene, another anti inflammatory and complete, natural vitamin E from two separate ingredients which provide four tocopherols.) http://ineedthat.corecommerce.com/Power-of-3EA-s.html

Moms:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
GS Skin Allergies

Hi,

I know this thread hasn't been very active lately, but I was just wondering if any of the GSD owners that were struggling with skin issues were ever able to find "Permanent Solutions??"

I'm currently going through the same problems with my 7 year old GSD. I'm looking for a way to get his skin health back without steroids. The Vets want to start apoquel but I still have concerns about it.

Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
746 Posts
Do you know what it is that your dog is allergic to? What is happening with his skin?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Hi,

I know this thread hasn't been very active lately, but I was just wondering if any of the GSD owners that were struggling with skin issues were ever able to find "Permanent Solutions??"

I'm currently going through the same problems with my 7 year old GSD. I'm looking for a way to get his skin health back without steroids. The Vets want to start apoquel but I still have concerns about it.

Thanks,
Hi! I sent in to Nutriscan (Dr. Dobbs' lab) for their kit for testing for food intolerances. It was enlightening to see the results. My dog is biting at his fur. My guy needs probiotics to help his digestion. I already had him on a raw diet or I think it would be worse. So I am avoiding reactive foods--which is a lot 28 out of 30. The only things he did not react to was Beef and Lamb. So I am working to get his immune system and digestive system strengthened. Probiotics/digestive enzymes/ non-reactive foods. i am feeding him fresh apple pieces and blueberries and a supplement for vitamins and minerals.

What is your dog's skin problem? I understand not wanting to cover up the symptoms, but to treat the cause.

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
Hi,

Thanks,
Hi Mak & Welcome!

Have you tried.....(For at least 6 weeks)
*Raw Feeding - Single meat source?

OR

*Kibble & treats (single meat source) with ABSOLUTELY NO Chicken ingredients(chicken, chicken meal, chicken fat, chicken cartilage, eggs etc), yeast, grains or flax seed?

*ProBiotics and Digestive Enzymes?

*Non Grain Shampoo? IF you have a dog that is sensitive to grains, beware of other GLUTEN BASED ingredients, with names that we do not recognize, that could be in the Doggie Shampoo that you are using!
WHEAT: hydrolyzed wheat protein or triticum vulgare (wheat) or stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyl (hydrolyzed wheat protein) or hydroxypropyltrimonium (hydrolyzed wheat protein).
OATMEAL: or avena sativa
BARLEY: hordeum vulgare or maltodextrin (can also be from barley)
RYE: secale cereale
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein can be derived from: Soy, Corn, or Wheat

Raw Foods:
Bravo: Discover Balance Raw Diet | Beef Frozen Raw Dog Food Diet - Bravo Pet Food Find a store: Find a Bravo Retailer - Bravo Pet Food
Northwest Naturals: Beef Find a store: Store Locator
Primal: Complete Raw Diets for Pets: Canine Beef Formula Find a store: Primal Pet Foods: Store Locator

Feeding calculator: http://cms.nw-naturals.net/raw/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92&Itemid=448

Make sure you also check the ingredients on treats!
Bravo Bonus Bites: are 100% all meat, and made from all natural, antibiotic-free, grain free meats and organ meat protein sources.
Example: "Dry Roasted" Buffalo Liver: Ingredients Grass-fed buffalo liver.
"Freeze Dried Treats" - Venison Liver: Ingredients Grass-fed venison liver.

Kibble Suggestions:
Nature's Variety "Instinct" Limited not Nature's Recipe): Limited Ingredient Lamb: (can be purchased at PetsMart, Petco) Instinct Grain-Free Limited Ingredient Kibble Dog Food - Lamb | Instinct Pet Food for Dogs and Cats
Ingredients: Lamb Meal, Peas, Tapioca, Pea Protein, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Lamb, Natural Flavor, Montmorillonite Clay, Coconut Oil, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Sodium Selenite), Green Tea Extract, Rosemary Extract
Store locator: Find A Store | Nature's Variety

Acana Limited: Pork & Butternut Squash: http://acana.com/our-foods/singles/pork-butternut-squash/
Ingredients: Deboned pork*, pork meal, green lentils, red lentils, pork liver*, butternut squash*, pork fat, green peas, yellow peas, canola oil, algae, garbanzo beans, pumpkin*, carrots*, pork kidney*, freeze-dried pork liver, kelp, chicory root, ginger root, peppermint leaf, lemon balm, mixed tocopherols (preservative), dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product. They also have a limited lamb.
Store locator: Store Locator | Acana

Since about 75% of the immune system lies in the gut (immune system helps fight allergens) it is very important to keep it very healthy. Below are 2 Human Ingredient Products:
Sunday Sundae (Digestive Enzyme & Pro-Biotic Combo): Sunday-Sundae-12oz
http://www.thewholisticpet.com/canine-product-line/digestive-support/wholistic-digest-all-plustm.html
OR

Gut Sense: (Pro-Biotic & Pre Biotic): GutSense - certified organic probiotic for dogs

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
Hi! I sent in to Nutriscan (Dr. Dobbs' lab) for their kit for testing for food intolerances. It was enlightening to see the results. My dog is biting at his fur. My guy needs probiotics to help his digestion. I already had him on a raw diet or I think it would be worse. So I am avoiding reactive foods--which is a lot 28 out of 30. The only things he did not react to was Beef and Lamb. So I am working to get his immune system and digestive system strengthened. Probiotics/digestive enzymes/ non-reactive foods. i am feeding him fresh apple pieces and blueberries and a supplement for vitamins and minerals.

What is your dog's skin problem? I understand not wanting to cover up the symptoms, but to treat the cause.
NutiScan has helped many MANY dogs on this blog.

Some speak against it......I think it's fantastic and it saved my GrandDog from itching day and night from the info provided.

Here are some specifics of the test:
NutriScan: This test measures antibodies to certain foods in dog saliva. High antibody levels indicate that the dog has a food sensitivity and intolerance to that food or foods. Food intolerance or sensitivity is actually quite common whereas food allergy is rare. In fact, food intolerance is the third most common sensitivity condition in dogs and often can be easily remedied with a change in diet. Dr. Jean Dodds, NutriScan tests for the twenty most commonly ingested foods by dogs to provide you with specific results as to your dog's food intolerances or sensitivities. Since it is a salivary test, you have the convenience to complete the test at home or at your veterinarian’s office. Best of all, you can have the results in approximately two weeks to help you put your dog on the right diet.
Remember, NutriScan is novel and patented and is not testing for food allergies, but rather tests for food sensitivities and intolerance. These are different body immune responses. Food allergy is a more immediate reaction mediated by production of IgE and IgG antibodies. Food sensitivity and intolerance, by contrast, measures a more delayed body response to offending foods by measuring production of IgA and IgM antibodies primarily in mucosal secretions from the bowel.”

Q. How does this test differ from other food “allergy” tests on serum or feces ?
A. Food allergy tests measure antibodies to IgG and IgE in serum or feces. These are typically more acute allergic reactions to foods, whereas NutriScan measures IgA and IgM antibodies on the bowel’s mucosal surface, and thus more directly correlates to symptoms of bowel (GI tract) disease.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Quinn has no known food allergies but many years ago I eliminated all forms of chicken from his diet as it seemed to make him itch more. His digestion is fine, and he is on Acana Pork and Squash with some home cooked veggies and some table meat. He has had skin testing by a dermatologist vet and came up positive for dust mites only. He has a mild degree of itching and scratching, does not chew anywhere but has constant skin lesions that are driving us both nuts. Right now we are trying the oral desensitization serum and he is bathed with chlorhexidine shampoo once or twice a week. The vet is pushing for Apoquel but I'm holding back - once that no longer works, what then? I don't know if Nutriscan would be appropriate for him. Maybe Momto2GSDs could chime in.

Does your dog bite and chew to the point of breaking the skin? Is skin infection a secondary problem with him?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Does your dog bite and chew to the point of breaking the skin? Is skin infection a secondary problem with him?

Yes, three days of venison was a costly vet visit as he chewed holes in his outfit. He was put on antibiotics for it. That's been it, but I've been feeding raw.

By raw feeding I was able to kind of sort out things like Rabbit and duck were really reactive. I gage things by how forceful he is about chewing on his fur. I think if he had been of kibble, it would be much worse as he is VERY intolerant to peas/lentils/eggs/salmon and white fish oil. I got down to feeding just one meat with nothing else--no probiotics, vitamins, etc. Science experiment. . . . I laugh at the elimination diet--my guy is intolerant of rice/potatoes/oatmeal/all fish/many meats except beef and lamb. At this point pheasant may be okay. I have emu and alpaca in my freezer, but haven't tried them yet. Started probiotics/enzymes and vitamin/mineral mix first--doing it intermittently to see if that is a problem.

It might be worth checking out the nutriscan test. You can do it at home and mail it in to Dr. Dobbs' lab.

I have serious environmental and food allergies. So if my guy has environmental allergies from anything in the house, not more I can do, because my house doesn't bother me--and I am a canary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for all the quick replies. Here's some more information.

I've had Mak since a puppy in 2009, and within the first year he showed signs of ear problems. Dark smelly build-up etc. That started the rounds of steroids and antibiotics and otomax ointment from the vets and diet changes. I changed him to many different foods and after a while, I was able to get his ears to a manageable state so it never concerned me much more.

Then around 2013-2014 he started developing skin problems. The skin on his belly became very dark and he began loosing hair and scratching constantly. At first it was slow and only a small patch of his belly. Now after the next few years, it progressed all along his belly and up his neck. He also has lost some fur on his face around his eyes from rubbing it on his bed and furniture, and missing fur from his paws and elbows.

I consulted many different vets. Every time was the same--- Diagnosis allergies; Treatment steroids and antibiotics.

Whenever I asked about the things I've found in research like: "The steroids suppress his immune system; Could he have leaky gut syndrome; Its gotta be the carb and preservative filled food; I think its coming from inside him not from the environment." The vets just play dumb and don't really answer and hand me some home cooking suggestions written by HILLS Science Diet. Finally I expressed to my last vet that I was upset about how much money I have given her clinic and haven't seen any results. She called the next day and said there's this new magic drug 'Apoquel.' I just don't trust it and feel there's gotta be some natural ways to fix this that I'm just missing right now. That was the last I spoke with that vet.

Where we are now:

Mak was given steroids in April from the last vet, and of course his skin cleared up for the time being, but then returned to ruins once the steroid wore off. He is missing fur from his belly, sides, face, elbows, and paws. Its dark, crusty, smells, is hot at times and he looses lots of dry skin flakes from scratching (sometimes scratches till he bleeds). He also has discharge from his ears and scratches uncontrollably.

He is currently eating Orijen 6 fish, only because I refuse to put him back on the Royal Canin HP or Hills ZD diets and picked that as being a kibble without grains, potatoes or a lot of preservatives.

Around the end of 2015 I did try switching him to a raw diet, but I don't think I did it right and introduced some of the organ meets to him too quickly. He began having bad diarrhea and lost a lot of weight. The vet was concerned and had me put him back on kibble food.

From this site I learned about Dr. Jean Dodd's and found that her clinic is only and 1.5 hours away from me (I'm a San Diego Resident). So last week I took him in for his first appointment at Hemopet and he saw Dr. Adam Lassin. We ran a full blood and Thyroid test. I was actually hoping there was a problem with his Thyroid as it may be easier to treat than allergies, but unfortunately the test shows all normal Thyroid function and his blood counts were okay as well.

In the past I had allergy testing through VARL done for environmental and food allergies. Dr. Lassin said those are accurate for environmental allergies but not food, so he wants me to run the Nutriscan test. I just sent it in and will have a couple weeks until I get the results. I did have Mak on some probiotics and other supplements like Nupro and DMG, but Dr. Lassin had me pull him off everything until the Nutriscan results are in and we can adjust his diet then.

I bathe him in Malaseb but currently have tried Murphy's Oil soap and Zymox shampoo as I was looking for something more natural to bathe him in and hopefully be more soothing. Sometimes it seems like the Chlorohexadrine makes him itchier....

Dr. Lassin prescribed antibiotics, keto, and Apoquel, along with some Chinese herb medicines (Wei qi booster and Damp Heat skin). I still haven't started the drugs as I'm concerned they're just gonna prove to be steps backwards just like every time hes gotten steroids, and I would like to wait till the Nutriscan results are in. I'm slowly starting the Chinese herbs. Has anyone had any luck with these????

Thanks again for all the help!

Mike

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
MakGSD,

I forgot to mention in dissertation on Apoquel that I did the ImmuneIQ allergy test and Dr. Dodd's allergy test. A few results were the same, most were not. One said ok to chicken, one said he was highly sensitive to it. Traveler's Thyroid tests also came back as normal.

You are right about Malaseb and Chlorohexadine shampoos. They seem to really dry out the skin and his fur was almost kind of crispy stiff, not soft at all.

I will have to get back to you with the Chinese herbs I tried but I've had better results using Standard Process formulas, particularly mushroom and assorted bovine extracts.

I could open my own pharmacy.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts