German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Originally Posted By: Maedchen
It's not gonna be a quick fix. You don't just throw in a couple supplements and see immediate results- it might take years. You have to provide the best possible diet (home made if possible) and most def. avoid all vaccinations and pestice products (HW, flea/tick stuff). My girl took over 2 years until she was cured of her hotspots, swelling in the armpits, chronic eardischarge and "grass allergy". She wasn't cured bc of the supplements, they only helped to help herself, along with the diet and avoiding additional toxins.
I read this a few days ago and am coming back to it, because I may try with our dog. But is it okay to go without the flea/tick treatment, especially in an area like New England (in the warmer months)? Also, I would love to avoid vaccinations - is it really okay to go without all besides rabies?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I don't have the experience to answer this. So,

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
For the vaccines, there are two different issues. If your dog has never been vaccinated, versus whether it has. So I would start by asking how old your dog is and also the number of vaccinations, how frequent, etc. Different answers for the two different scenarios.

It often is not safe to go without protection from fleas and ticks, but sometimes there are ways to mitigate that. I know that many have had luck with alternatives for fleas (Bug Off is a popular product on the board). I am not convinced it can take care of ticks, but some individuals seem to think so and I defer to them since I haven't used it.

My girl reacts to the tick spot-ons, so I have,t been using them. I have been experimenting with various homemade sprays, on vacation, I do use the preventic collar. Frontline Top Spot (not the plus), has the least amount of "stuff" in it for a spot-on. For HW, I am in a high HW area, I use Interceptor at 1/5 the standard dose. In general, I don't like "all-in-one" products.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for the info. I think since Max is 6, he's had a lot of his vaccinations and we just gave him the major parvo and distempter booster a couple weeks ago. So I guess it doesn't make sense to go without at this point.

Used to use the Fontline Plus, but he hasn't been on anything for a while since the vet gave him Ivermectin. The next dose of Frontline Plus (we still have like 7 months worth already bought), along with his Interceptor for heartworm would be at the end of this month. I guess maybe we'll just finish off what we have for now and then consider something else. But we have found many ticks (including deer ticks) crawling around on him, so I'm pretty reluctant to go without protection around here.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
He absolutely should not get any more vaccinations! My gsd, Basu, had terrible skin problems because of over-vaccinating!

I have never used any chemical flea or tick stuff. I am one of the Bug Off Garlic people. I've been using it on my dogs for 6 years and in that time have found ONE tick total on 5 different dogs. I have found ticks on myself but not on the dogs.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Originally Posted By: LisaT
Originally Posted By: Vio79we just gave him the major parvo and distempter booster a couple weeks ago

Stupid idiot vet, and that's just about the kindest thing I can say, considering the health problems that your boy is having.
Ugh I wish I had known all this BEFORE letting them vaccinate the heck out of Max. Makes me so mad. Poor dog is probably so screwed up because of these vets - I guess I made a good decision by stopping all treatments (except maybe acupuncture, which would be with a new, holistic vet) once we see our current vet to get sutures out. And ask about a thyroid panel.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Kudos to you for trying as much as you have been trying. Sounds like none of the vets have really done much for his health at all

Well, hopefully you can get him stable, and then find the right match for you guys.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Originally Posted By: Fluffypants It really bothers me, but the hematoma surgery is between $600 & $700.
Wow. I see some country vets where I live and it cost $200 dollars for my dogs hematoma and that included six weeks of follow up care where they changed the bandages, medication, and the cone. The only down side was that this office didn't take appointments. It was walk in so you had to wait a long time. But the vets are knowledgable, and the prices are GREAT!

My dog is suffering from severe allergies complete with secondary bacterial infections and yeast issues. I use the anti-yeast shampoo, I condition, I use apple cider vinegar topically and orally, I use fish oil, ester C, wash the bedding in non-chemical soap, he's on prednisone and it's still not getting better.

He's had a complete bloodwork up and skin scraping. Nothing.

I'm at my wits end.

There were some other supplements in this thread that I haven't tried so I will try those and see if it works.

My poor doggie.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Are there any positive experiences to report after following any of these suggestions?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I don't know of anyone new that tried everything all at once - complete diet with full out supplements. I know Vio79 tried without success, but she only did a little bit of this and a little bit of that, and for serious cases, it has to be done all at once.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, in the search for no steroids, here is where I'm at.
I have a multivitamin compliment called BioVites be gets with every meal.
I supplement that with Missing Link
In order to help him eat all that powder, I mix in a teaspoon of tuna.
In addition I give him 200 UI Vit E, and 600mg Ester C.
He gets 2 tbsp local raw honey
His daily food is Taste of the Wild brand.
To try and relieve his itching I give him 50g benedryl twice daily. Its an entire body itch, so cannot treat hot spots.
Currently I have him 100% off steroids, but he is extremely itchy again. When hes itchy like this, he won't eat anything, which means hes not taking the supplements on schedule.

What else can I give him non steroid to relieve the itching besides the steroids so we can give this new diet a chance. We've tried bathing him in an oatmeal allergy bath, that only lasts a few hours, so its ineffective for the effort required.

Thanks

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I think I would consider acupuncture....and also bioflavanoids that have a good amount of quercetin?

Do you think the itchy is from environmental stuff, or food stuff? My Max gets itchy from beef, mosquito bites, and his paws get bad from certain grasses or weeds.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Kept up with the regiment for a few weeks and the itching has calmed. Hasn't taken a steroid in maybe a month now.
I've been trying to get this product called Mega C, but I'm thinking the company is out of business. I've tried emailing looking for a close distributor with no response, so I tried ordering direct from belfield's website, and no response. Took my credit card and everything, but never heard a thing after that. Can't call their toll free from here cause its out of country or out of service. Anyone know a place to buy it other than Belfields?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I guess they just put the MegaC on the slow boat to Canada ;)

Great news that the itching has calmed and there has been on steroid use for quite some time. That's definitely an accomplishment! If the itching is from the nervous system being overactive, scullcap can help calm that. If it's from allergies, you might try some activated quercitin?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I would seriously consider accupuncture.

Before the vet and I would even consider steroids, he suggested I consult with a holistic vet for both Phoenix's ortho and allergy issues.

He has been on a regimine of chiro and accupuncture for the past 8 months and wow, have I seen a difference. I also finally got rid of the 40 year old carpets in my house.

Besides the acupuncture, I have introduced some other supplementation recommended by the holistic vet as well as doing the allergy shots every month with serum. Only on two occasions since starting the acupuncture, have I had to give Phoenix a week of tavist. It was in the middle of winter, when I got behind in my vacuuming and dusting and keeping his bedding as dustmite free as possible.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Finally got the Mega C, guess they're in business, just lack of customer service.
Has anyone heard of or used Atarax/Hydroxyzine, if so how were the results? Considering asking the vet for it to try out, Benadryl did not have much affect.

I have used probably every antihistimine.. Hydroxyzine is the one that worked the best for us and I have read that more dogs respond favorably to it for allergies. I had no luck with Benadryl either. It's worth a shot... very inexpensive and it's not a steriod. I would really try and stay away from pred. We had some serious issues from Niko being on a low dose of pred and he will NEVER go on pred again.

Clemastine/Tavist also worked pretty good... although antihistimines for us... seem to loose their effect over time. The documentation from one of the derm's I have used (Dr. Lowell Ackerman) states that antihistimines are more effective if used with fatty acids.

Good Luck!

Tanja

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I use Hydroxyzine for my allergy dog and I can't say enough great things about it! She was on prednisone for a very long time and I hated giving it to her. She is now totally off the steroids! Between the Hydroxyzine, therapeutic dosages of fish oil (which is a lot), Borage Seed oil and a raw diet she is looking and feeling better than ever...symptom free, beautiful and best of all comfortable!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Do you notice any drowsiness or personality changes in your dogs with the Hydroxyzine?

41 - 60 of 95 Posts