German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently had testing done for allergys to try to figure out my issues-well, the ONLY thing that came up was dogs.. IT makes perfect sense as to the cause, but wth do I do???? I have no desire to get rid of anyone in my house. My body is obviously going through some crazy changes becuase I am also having reactions to soap. I have to carry around with me evereywhere I go a little bar of soap otherwise I break out. ITs a skin issue going on. I get red, blotchy, swollen and ITCHY whenever I touch either of my dogs....
Anyone else suffer or have done something to help?
We did a through vacuum and dusting, cleaning crates, blankets, etc... I ordered hepa air purifiers to help.
any advice would be great.. Thanks

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Hi kimi,

I'm not allergic to my dogs (or cats or horses thank goodness)...

But I do have allergies so can offer some tips.

Brush your dogs a lot, it helps. Use gentle bathing wipes daily (you can get them at most pet stores). You want to reduce the dander getting into the environment.

As you said vacuum, vacuum and vacuum more use one with a hepa filter if you don't have one already.

Install allergen rated air filters in your heat/AC system (which is what I think you referred to already...HEPA filters).

Benadryl or other antihistamines (Benadryl works the best for me I take only one tab for daytime dose and don't get so sleepy and it takes the 'edge' off the allergies)

Nasal rinse, at least twice daily to stop issues with the nose/nasal aspect of allergies NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit 1 Each

·
Registered
637 Posts
im allergic to anything with fur or feathers and the world lol.. i use allergy pills when it gets bad. with the dogs you can try Allerpet D its a liquid that you put on the dogs fur to keep the dander down. it works for alot of people so give it a try.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My boyfriend is allergic to cats and I have five of them. Keeping the animal and house is key. They shouldn't be on any furniture either. We also learned later that he is allergic to candles or any sprays with fragrances. We also kept an inhaler in the house just in case. My mom also had allergies and asthma and we always had lots of pets. My dad is a great cleaner.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
How long have the allergies bothered you - was it ever since you have been around a dog or recently? Could be some product you use on them that you are allergic to or even something in their food. If you bathe the dogs often does it help. Usually the dander is the cause of the animal allergies for people and that can be managed by frequent baths with good shampoo. If this is an allergy that just showed up I would look for other causes. If you have been around dogs all your life and it just now showed up there has to be additional factors. Also, I am allergic to cats but I have three. I believe after a while you can build your own immunities to allergies the same way auto immune shots work with dogs. I just wash my hands after handling the cats.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
btw - you also mention a more systemic response including soap reaction. That would usually be due to chemical allergies so it sounds like you are having more then one problem with allergic reactions. (??)

As I've gotten older I've started developing more allergic reactions to chemicals as well. Some soaps and perfumes that didn't used to cause a reaction now do. :(

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
btw - you also mention a more systemic response including soap reaction. That would usually be due to chemical allergies so it sounds like you are having more then one problem with allergic reactions. (??)

As I've gotten older I've started developing more allergic reactions to chemicals as well. Some soaps and perfumes that didn't used to cause a reaction now do. :(
Yes, things that never bothered me before are now bothering me. I have had dogs/cats my whole life. So, this allergy thing is kicking my butt this year since about Feb or March. Most of the meds I have taken make me sleepy, and being Mom of autistic child, I can't do... Touching the dogs makes my hands swell up, turn red, and itch like a #$%#...... Its awful...
Hoping to get them a bath today, and maybe get some relief. Its terrible... I feel bad, they keep wanting mommy's love-but mommy can't touch them right now.. :(

·
Registered
701 Posts
Did your doctor recommend getting the shots? I'm allergic to my cats, dust, and half the weeds in the state. I'm still taking allergy meds, sometimes three different ones a day, but I can tell that even when I have flair ups, they are not nearly as bad, thanks to the shots.

Also, have you been tested for auto-immune problems like lupus? They can causes some weird problems.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Also, have you been tested for auto-immune problems like lupus? They can causes some weird problems.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
to: OP

Second the testing for autoimmune problems... For over 30 years I've had hives off and on. The have tested me for everything. Sometimes I react to everything, sometimes I don't react to anything. Soap allergies and swelling of the hands are one of the symptoms I have when I'm in a flair. They finally decided that it was autoimmune related. Now I'm starting to have other autoimmune issues crop up so more tests... Ugh! Anyway I find ice to be the one thing that helps. Freeze washcloths or just bags of ice and put on itchy swollen areas. It helps!!

·
Registered
942 Posts
There are allergy shots you can get. I know my son was allergic to cats, but I wasn't going to get rid of anyone and neither was he (developed when he was 6 and we already had the cats) so we did allergy pills daily and then weaned him off---POOF allergy gone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts