German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Bi color GSD 1.5 yrs old
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1.5 years old German Sheperd, he gets rashes and diarrhea if he eats chicken, beef, duck, bison, and lamb. I'm running out of options guys. Salmon seems to be the only protein that works. Does anyone have similar problems? What do you feed your GSD?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I have walked in your shoes in dealing with allergies. Rabbit is a novel protein. have seen a vegetarian version of kibble on the market but cannot remember the name. Are you sure it's the protein and not something else in the food? It could be the rice, sweet potatoe or whatever the carb is paired with the meat. I suggest that you get an allergy panel run at the vet. I went round and round trying different dog foods. The results are more definitive and some companies that do testing offer dog food options based on the results.

·
Registered
32,790 Posts
Are you positive it's the proteins? And not another ingredient in the food? Did you do an elimination diet with only one single food at a time to determine this? That is the only way to find food allergies. Blood and scratch tests are not accurate for food.

Personally, I would start with a hydrolyzed protein food from the vet to soothe his GI tract. And then start an elimination diet.

·
Registered
Yana
1,291 Posts
Yes. For the next couple months Hills I/D low fat, working like a charm. I wouldn't recommend raw for a GSD with a sensitive stomach. I used to feed raw, multiple proteins to my dog, now she doesn't tolerate any of those proteins or raw. As Jax mentioned could be another ingredient and I agree. I learned through experience I can't feed my dog potatoes daily either. It's a lot of trial and error with sensitive gut dogs. Pick one, stick with it if it's working for a couple months. A hydrolyzed protein food is a good idea as an elimination diet, no treats that aren't the same ingredients

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I did allergy testing on my lab and he came back positive to a bunch of environmental stuff, grasses Etc. He is also allergic to storage mites. In the process of taking him off kibble to address the mites, I also realized chicken makes him itch.
Long story short, you could also be dealing with other allergy triggers besides the food itself. I don’t think it is that uncommon for them to have food and environmental simultaneously.

I put him on a non kibble novel protein/carb and he is doing much better

·
Registered
Yana
1,291 Posts
I did allergy testing on my lab and he came back positive to a bunch of environmental stuff, grasses Etc. He is also allergic to storage mites. In the process of taking him off kibble to address the mites, I also realized chicken makes him itch.
Long story short, you could also be dealing with other allergy triggers besides the food itself. I don’t think it is that uncommon for them to have food and environmental simultaneously.

I put him on a non kibble novel protein/carb and he is doing much better
Agreed, they went hand in hand for my dog.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Rabbit, Venison, Elk, Quail, Pheasant, Goose, Goat, Pork, Alpaca, Llama, Kangaroo, Cavy/Guinea Pig, Camel, Ostrich.

Are you feeding raw or kibble?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You left out Alligator 😁 Rayne nutrition and Blue Buffalo make Alligator based pet foods
I personally don't feed predator animals because of biomagnification. Because predators eat other small animals it can magnify toxins and parasites in their body.

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
Are these different brands that give him diarrhea ?

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
I have a 1.5 years old German Sheperd, he gets rashes and diarrhea if he eats chicken, beef, duck, bison, and lamb. I'm running out of options guys. Salmon seems to be the only protein that works. Does anyone have similar problems? What do you feed your GSD?
Do allergy testing.
I have a dog with a bunch of allergies, beef being the top one. Honestly for the time effort and money I wasted, I could have done a dozen tests.
Chicken kibble makes her itch, raw chicken does not.
But she is sensitive/allergic to a bunch of stuff not related to proteins and the other thing I found was that some combinations of things trigger responses where there are no allergies to the individual ingredients.
But, if you are feeding kibble is it the same brand with different proteins and does it have flax?
I have had a number of dogs now that cannot have flax and it's in everything!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I did allergy testing on my lab and he came back positive to a bunch of environmental stuff, grasses Etc. He is also allergic to storage mites. In the process of taking him off kibble to address the mites, ...
I recently had a conversation with my vet about food storage mites. His recommendation was to freeze the kibble, and pull it out as needed for each meal. It does seem to be helping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts