German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After years of working at pet stores and buying toys at cost, and also getting free toys to review for my blog, I have accumulated an impressive amount of dog toys, of all varieties. Hunter doesn't destroy toys, so everything I ever bought him we still have. I have had a massive amount out at a time in a huge dog toy bin, and my home just ends up a mess (a.k.a dog heaven). So, I went and bought myself a small blue bin, and started rotating toys every couple of days. I really like this method, because when I bring out a new bin of toys Hunter's eyes light up and he entertains himself for a couple hours with his "new toys"... lol

Do you leave all the dog toys out all the time, or do you rotate sets and keep the other toys put away? How do you maximize dog toy bliss in your home? ;)

Aaand a photo, since text posts aren't visually appealing enough... lol.

Approximately a touch more than 1/4 of our toy collection..

Also, bonus points if you post a photo of your dog with a bunch of toys.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I rotate toys. I find that nothing helps more with destressing a dog than an old familar, well loved toy.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
We stopped rotating the toys. We don't have a whole lot but still. The dogs have their favorite toys they'll play with no matter what so it's not a big deal with boredom becoming a problem here. Actually some of the toys are neglected but if we shifted toys around, the neglected toys would still be neglected. We tried that experiment. We had two dogs glaring at us for a week.

·
Registered
836 Posts
When I get home from work Mia would dig through the small toy box looking for a specific toy to parade. It wasn't always the same one. She would be on a frantic mission to find the one she was looking for. But I couldn't touch the toy, no.... I could only look at it and comment on it. Ears pinned back, crying, walking circles around me.

Point being, we have a small toy box in the living room and bed room.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I have a ton of toys and I just started keeping them in a box, the box is left open and they can pull whatever toy they want out.

The problem is, they always pull them all out and then they go take a nap! So I put all the toys back into the box and they give me this look like "What the heck?! We had them scattered around for a reason!" They pull them all back out again and then they either start playing with each other or they take another nap! :laugh:

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a ton of toys and I just started keeping them in a box, the box is left open and they can pull whatever toy they want out.

The problem is, they always pull them all out and then they go take a nap! So I put all the toys back into the box and they give me this look like "What the heck?! We had them scattered around for a reason!" They pull them all back out again and then they either start playing with each other or they take another nap! :laugh:
I know that look all too well... LOL! I know it's going to get worse when our little Zenna comes home.

·
Super Moderator
5,389 Posts
I rotate. The hot new toy is the one that hasn't been seen in a while. Mine rarely tear up toys so I don't have to keep spending money on them.

Mine would do the same thing with a toy box. Carly drags everything out. I put them back. Carly drags everything out. Repeat.

Here's Russell when I first brought him home, surrounded by toys and an elk antler. :)

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I know that look all too well... LOL! I know it's going to get worse when our little Zenna comes home.
I can't wait for you to get your new pup! Have you ever had 2 dogs at one time before? I LOVE having 2, it is so much fun watching them interact and I love seeing Draco follow Sin around and mimic what he does. :wub:

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't wait for you to get your new pup! Have you ever had 2 dogs at one time before? I LOVE having 2, it is so much fun watching them interact and I love seeing Draco follow Sin around and mimic what he does. :wub:
Nope, this will be my first time with a multiple dog home. We are so excited, the litter is about a week and a half old now. :D

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I started rotating as well, but there are a few I leave out all the time because they are the favorites.

lola12w-076 by stmcfred1, on Flickr
SO cute!! I also leave the red cuz, the blue cuz, and his goosie out all the time.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I rotate. The hot new toy is the one that hasn't been seen in a while. Mine rarely tear up toys so I don't have to keep spending money on them.

Mine would do the same thing with a toy box. Carly drags everything out. I put them back. Carly drags everything out. Repeat.

Here's Russell when I first brought him home, surrounded by toys and an elk antler. :)

Is that a Kong Wubba? Draco freaking LOVES that thing! He carries it and runs back and forth flinging his head like a horse but he never releases the toy, he just runs around like a mad man with it, it is so funny to see!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I have a wicker basket full of toys, I had to take out all the normal stuffies because Delgado either decapitates or eviscerates them and that just ticks Jazzy off as she loves her stuffies :p He has two favourite toys, his Cuzs and Hollee Rollers, if they're not in the basket he will search the entire house until they're found. If he finds it and it's someone he can't get it (on the counter for example as he knows everything is off limits on it, he comes and gets me then leads me there so I can get it down for him).

He'll play with other toys but not really so I just leave them all in the basket. Though he's finally outgrowing the "take everything out just for fun" mentality and will only take out and play with one or two at a time and that helps keep the house much cleaner.

So short answer, no I don't limit access to toys :)

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is that a Kong Wubba? Draco freaking LOVES that thing! He carries it and runs back and forth flinging his head like a horse but he never releases the toy, he just runs around like a mad man with it, it is so funny to see!
Hunter has two that he LOVES. A regular blue wubba and the grey fuzzy bunny wubba... love the bunny wubba, it is so cute!

·
Super Moderator
5,389 Posts
That is a Wubba. Carly and Russell love that thing. There are two of them floating around the house right now. Or buried in the snow in the backyard. Russell does the same thing. Tosses his head around when he's carrying it. I'm afraid he's going to run into a wall, lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,389 Posts
Hunter has two that he LOVES. A regular blue wubba and the grey fuzzy bunny wubba... love the bunny wubba, it is so cute!
Uh oh, I'm going to have to get a bunny wubba now!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
We have a toy box, they take what they want. I love when one of the starts digging in looking for something inparticular I'll start helping by pulling stuff out.
I actually wish they would destroy some once in a while it's hard to wash stuffies.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Dax has his fuzzy squeaky soccer ball that he adores. Shasta isn't really into toys but give her a rope toy and that is HERS. She will hang onto that thing until the cows come home. She gets extra angry with Dax if he tries to take it and she doesn't want to play.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Nope, this will be my first time with a multiple dog home. We are so excited, the litter is about a week and a half old now. :D
You are going to love it! Having 2 is not hard at all. The only difference to me is that it's more expensive food wise. I didn't have to separate them or do a lot of one on one time with them, they are both very attached to me and although they love each other, they like me more. :) Training is going well too, the pup catches on fast and he watches what Sin does.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts