German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve had Dee for 6 months he’s 8 months perfectly house trained no bad behaviour other than being a clutz and yappy if he’s not happy. No dog aggression no food aggression, sound and beta to all others unless I act threatened. Literally a perfect dog, until left alone for 2 hours... like couches, a tv, Xbox, a wall odds and ends costing roughly 4-5k I’m beyond frustrated. Kennel was totally destroyed I was taking him to work after he did that and went around destroying everything. Now that I’ve quit my job just to train him to be more house friendly it was good for a week, then after that he’s back to his old way and poops within a hour of leaving. In 2 hours he starts to look for something to do/destroy. he knows as soon as I come home, then a few days of good behaviour so what should I do? I tried a metal kennel totalled that then made a kennel with 1.5 dowels chewed that up too. I tried single room with nothing in it the door was half gone can’t be with him 24/7 cant kennel him for 3 hours. Do I start kenneling nightly that’s what I used to do until he got old enough for house training, he goes all night no issues.

·
Super Moderator
9,500 Posts
He's obviously anxious when left alone. He needs a sturdy crate to keep him and your home safe.A heavy duty travel type crate,not the wire type or wood that can be chewed.He's not "bad" he's just afraid.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Need a lot more information about how long he's generally left while he starts destroying things after ~2 hours. Is he alone for 6 or 8? When do you leave, when do you get home? If I have to leave for work at 8:00, my dog(s) don't have any poop to gift me with an hour later since they were taken out to empty for a half hour hike first thing in the morning.

More importantly, how is his general training and the ever-asked, what does the rest of his day look like? Does he get 1-2 hours of hiking, obedience and play every day, rain or shine?

Generally, this is a bored, frustrated dog activity and fits perfectly with his young age.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
sounds like separation anxiety. I do not know what you can do. this is a good article that might point you in the right direction. At least I hope so, it's a very difficult condition to deal with.

We tell our dogs we are leaving. they seem to understand 'going for the mail' is a short trip and 'going for food' is longer. We promise we'll buy cookies when we go food shopping and they look through each bag for them so I guess they understand. we figure by telling them that we are going and where they know what to expect. If it's an overnight we try to be sure to let them know who will be staying with them and caring for them. You might try just reassuring them when you leave and rewarding them when you return.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Disclaimer I am not a expert.....
Blitz (Our Puppy he is 2 years old) has an energy level that could rival the energizer bunny after drinking double espresso shots.
It never stops. But he is not destructive. We keep him very active with obedience, tracking and protection work. Also started working on scent detection. It all takes a lot of time but we enjoy it....
Your dog just might be bored....He is finding something to do. A tired dog is a calm dog.....

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
sounds like separation anxiety. I do not know what you can do. this is a good article that might point you in the right direction. At least I hope so, it's a very difficult condition to deal with.

We tell our dogs we are leaving. they seem to understand 'going for the mail' is a short trip and 'going for food' is longer. We promise we'll buy cookies when we go food shopping and they look through each bag for them so I guess they understand. we figure by telling them that we are going and where they know what to expect. If it's an overnight we try to be sure to let them know who will be staying with them and caring for them. You might try just reassuring them when you leave and rewarding them when you return.
I think of separation anxiety as something that happens more immediately on separation, not 2 hours later. This dog seems bored and then destructive.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Seconding the question asking what the rest of his day looks like. Does he get time to run until his tongue is flopping out? Is he mentally worked (obedience that requires him to think)? If yes to both of these, is he worked before you leave for the day? After?

For kennels, impact crates and gunner kennels both make heavy duty crates. They are pricy but it’s unlikely a pup could break out of them. Both also offer add-one to help prevent a dog breaking out. If your pup is extra determined, adding a couple of straps to strap down the crate and prevent him from moving it about the room while you are gone will also help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts