German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When buying a gsd from a reputable breeder, is their much chance that the ears will not go up? I'm guessing very slim but just not sure.

Also been a long time since owned a gsd, I assume the breeder will give info on feeding and vet visits etc.

And do you think it's possible to own a gsd living in a modest townhouse, I'm retired at a younger age and with average health and do have lot of spare time, guess just need some advice, since it's a decision that will effect me and companion for 10-12 possible years.

btw the breeders suggested looked very good and on my short list.

Any tips on picking a pup since likely they all look so CUTE.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
The ears are not 100% a sure thing. If that is important to you, I suggest you look for a breeder that has that in the contract. The breeder will give you lots of info, but I suggest you search the threads in the forums: the puppy palace and the breeder forums. In my opinion, one can have a puppy or dog in a apartment, townhouse, condo, providing that is allowed in the lease, but the difficult part is that one cannot just open up the back door into a fenced in yard when the puppy or dog needs to potty. One has to get take the dog out. There have been a couple of threads on apartment living with a dog or puppy that you may want to search out.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Some lines do have problems with soft ears, talk it over with your breeder.

As for the townhouse, I live in a townhouse with my two dogs and cats and my sister has a yorkie as well. Granted, it's a decent size at about 1450 sq feet but it's plently room for us with a good sized fenced backyard to play it. A townhouse really isn't any different then any other smaller house, I have patio doors that open onto a deck in the backyard, same as any other house.

Condos and apartments are different. As with any housing, if you rent talk to the owner before. If you own, do whatever the heck you want lol

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for taking time to post, yes will ask breeder re ears, it is kind of important to me, gsd are known for their buetifull looks and being smart.

I do own my property and will double check if allowed, possibly some clause
about certain type of dogs, not sure.

On a side note, my first gsd was smart beyond my expectations, when it was a youngster, I was walking it in the local park, and a mongrel black lab came from no where and bit a inch off the tip of one ear.

So you can imagine what she looked like, not severely bad but one ear floppy
looking, but I loved it no less. :) it is the large gsd in my avatar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts