German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey again :)

I am going to sign up Saber for a puppy class. (She is 12 weeks old, has 2 sets of puppy shots). I wondered if it is better/worth it to do the AKC STAR class versus other class types without a STAR certification. I have three choices:

The STAR one is at a vet clinic and is 8 weeks long. The trainer has been a trainer for 40 years and says " "Even though it seems like we play most of the way through them, if you work with your pup at home, you will find that at the end of the eight weeks your pup will know everything that is taught in an adult class. Our goal is to help you redirect troublesome behaviors before they become major problems." Starts Feb 10.

The second choice is a "puppy class" that is 6 weeks long and starts Feb 20. It seems to be about the same behaviors as the STAR (sit, down, recall, etc) and has socialization and playtime, and is held at a community center.

The third is the same instructor as above, an "all ages" obedience class. All the pups in the class right now are under 8 months old which is the same age as the puppy class. Same location, and I think this would be basically the same class as above. Six weeks long and starts next week.

Interested in your input, whether it would be better to do the STAR now and then go into the basic obedience/CGC class in April, or wait and do STAR in April (but she will be 5 months old then) or just skip it altogether.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
We took the STAR class then basic obedience and passed the CGC a week later. Stosh had loads of fun and the 2nd class really built on the STAR basics-- and I have to say, he really is a Good Citizen. So that's the route I would recommend. Also, having those certificates can't hurt. My husband sent copies to our homeowner's insurance co since gsds are on the '10 most unwanted list'. I think it's wise to start a resume on the dog just so they know your dog has been well trained and socialized, just in case something happens in the future.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I wish we had something like the AKC STAR class here in Canada.

Stark took a puppy socialization class where it was based on getting them comfortable with other dogs, people, sounds, objects, materials, surfaces, etc. Handling from strangers and much more. Then we did two basic obedience courses through the same trainer.

I think as many classes as you can take is a great idea! But that's just me... I have nothing else besides school and work going on.. lol..

I also would love to start a new puppy in agility like MRL did with GloryB, I think that would be cool too!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Don't look at the name of the class, look at the trainer and stick to the trainer that fits your own training philosophy and yours and your dogs needs. At this age Saber really needs socializing and learning to love training with you, everything else is secondary.

PS I find obedience classes boring but necessary evil so do not listen to me :)

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Don't look at the name of the class, look at the trainer and stick to the trainer that fits your own training philosophy and yours and your dogs needs. At this age Saber really needs socializing and learning to love training with you, everything else is secondary.

:)
I agree with that. Specially cause a good trainer will work with you and your pup to make sure you are in the best class.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts