German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn’t been to an AKC event for many years and since it was a rainy, rainy day yesterday I decided to go with my good friend to check a local show out. She had bred and shown Siberian Huskies years ago and decided now that her kids were gown up she wants to get back into the show scene. She’s going with shih tzus this time, less dog, easier to handle and show and pocket book wise too! She hung out with me on cold February day at a SchH trail so it was the least I could do to give her some company at her venue of choice.

I found the AKC folks to be very friendly, especially owner/handlers. They were very approachable and wanted to share information about their breed. I just would walk up to someone and say ‘May I ask a question about your dog?’ and they were all smiles! I learned some new things about other breeds and just enjoyed seeing so many different breeds under one roof. Oh and I kept my eyes peeled for the infamous ‘safari suits’ but I didn’t see nary a laced up spangly boot or gem encrusted broad brimmed safari hat in the place. Now there were professional handlers wearing nice suits, even in the pouring down rain!

I will say some of those folks have MONEY if going by their rigs is any indication. Wow, large motor homes with big awnings set up over rows of X pens one after the other. Definitely a different vibe from SchH folks I bump into, not one piece of camo or army surplus fashion in sight! One flexi was spotted but no brew-ha-ha ensued over it’s use.

The dogs were, of course, beautiful animals. They were well socialized and stood quietly at the side of the handlers amongst the crowded groups getting away from the blustery rain. The event was well organized and visitor friendly.

My head was on a swivel getting to see breeds I often don’t come in contact with like the Black Russian Terrier (btw that’s a dog used in protection), some of my favorite sight hounds Salukis and the Borzoi. I watched the aussies showing, the dog I picked won too! A nice male Black Tri (we have a black tri at home). I chatted with a lady who shows Rhodesian Ridgebacks who actually had a SAR dog and worked at ground zero on 9/11.

Did see some ASL shepherds and what struck us both was the differences within the dogs. Many variances from angulation (severe to moderate) differences in ear set, face, bone. I chatted with a lady handling a female who had agility and OB titles and was going for tracking soon. I saw a very nice male of good bone and moderate angulation. I could have sworn he was not ASL. We did not hang around to watch them show but I wished that male’s handler the best of luck!

My friend got roped into handling a Pekingese at the last minute to help out a handler friend of hers. She took 2nd! So all in all it was a fun event to attend and I look forward to going to other shows in the future.
A few pics to follow....

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1) Beautiful Borzoi :wub:

2) Followed by the Salukis

3) The Tri Aussie at the front of the line was my pick!

4) The Judge was very nice and joked with my friend who is handling the Peke

5) This was a 'medium' size rig!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Nice writeup, thanks for sharing it!

I love the pics. The Borzoi and Saluki look so elegant. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,914 Posts
I just now saw this thread. Glad you had fun at the show! It got me thinking that most people have never been to a show, and have no idea how busy and chaotic it can be. I have a big showing coming up next weekend in Tulsa. Think I'll do some sort of pictorial while I'm there. Should be fun. :)

My handler just starting showing a Portuguese Podengo Pequeno. He's a cute little guy. Recently I've been able to see some new breeds (for me). Entlebucher Mountain Dog, Pyrenean Shepherd, Swedish Vallhund, Finnish Lapphund, Icelandic Sheepdog - a whole bunch of new herding breeds!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts