German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, I had no idea where to put this, so if this is in the wrong place, I apologize.

A while back, I think someone said that you could send in a photo of your dog and if it looked like a GSD (or in my case, a Pom), then you could register the dog with the AKC. Ozzy isn't currently AKC registered, but I think that if I want to do agility and possibly obedience with him, I'd like to get him registered to possibly make my life a little easier when show time comes.

There's an upcoming dog show, and it says, "Only dogs of AKC registerable breeds and age (6 months and over) can be on the show grounds." Does that mean that I could take Ozzy to the show and try and register him with the AKC at the show?

I'm not sure how the process goes or anything, I'm just wondering if I could get Ozzy registered with the AKC. And if I could, how could I go about having that done?

ETA: I still have no plans on breeding him. I just think it would be easier to compete in the venues if he was registered.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You need to go to the AKC site and fill out the forms for a PALS number. You will need to fill it out and send in a picture and proof of neutering from your vet. It will take a while.

You can not get this done at a dog show and you can not take your dog there without being a competitor.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does he have to be neutered in order to be registered? Could I have a vasectomy done on him instead? :/ (If I can find a vet to do it...).

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
No. Your dog must be neutered and that's because a judge could not tell for sure that your dog really had a vasectomy done.

·
Registered
940 Posts
American Kennel Club - Dog Registration Questions

I have never tried doing that with the AKC so, I don't know if it would work or how easy it is.

There's an upcoming dog show, and it says, "Only dogs of AKC registerable breeds and age (6 months and over) can be on the show grounds." Does that mean that I could take Ozzy to the show and try and register him with the AKC at the show?
I think that you could take Ozzy to the show grounds if you wanted since he looks PB Pom (I think...I'm not very good identifying the smaller breeds :p ) but I don't think that anyone there could help you with that registration process.

Edit: Elaine has a point - I don't think you can take Ozzy if he's not competing at the show.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could carry proof of his vasectomy on me at all times. lol (Kidding).

Seeing as how he'd have to be neutered... is there that great of a benefit to the PAL registration vs. showing him without it? I haven't looked into it very deep, since it'll be a little while before we'll actually be able to compete....

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
The vast majority of dog shows out there are AKC and getting a PALS is the only way you can participate in them. There are other types of shows out there that don't require neutering.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This might be a dumb question, but how do they know if a female is spayed?

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
If there is any question, you can always look for the spay scar. I have never seen a dog checked at a dog show for evidence of neutering or spaying except in the breed ring where they always check for the presence of both testicles.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I sent an e-mail asking if a vasectomy (with proof) was acceptable. Not expecting a yes, but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I'm pretty sure that generally only dogs who are entered in the show are allowed on the show grounds.

The PAL (used to be ILP) number is not exactly the same as AKC registration. To get the PAL number, dogs must be neutered, they don't want the dogs used for breeding and PAL numbers are just for the performance events, not conformation or proof of pedigree. The only way you can compete in AKC events is with AKC registration, by enrolling in the PAL program or (for mixed breeds) enrolling in the Canine Partners program. PAL and Canine Partners both require dogs to be fixed to participate. The UKC has a similar program which also requires dogs to be fixed, and most of the other organizations I know of that have obedience competitions also require this. There are some agility organizations that don't require it but it can be hard to find shows to enter with them depending on your location.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I figured I would ask if a vasectomy was permissable because he'd still be unable to be used for breeding.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just curious- it sounds like you don't want to neuter, and the only difference I can think of between neutering and a vasectomy is that he would get to keep his testicles. Is it about apperance? Manliness?
Again- just curious, not trying to start anything hostile :)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With a vasectomy, he'd be able to have his testicles, so he'd still have the hormones. He just wouldn't be able to reproduce. From the research I've done, I feel that it's healthier to keep a dog intact. It seems like a vasectomy would be the best way to keep the hormones without the possibility of him being able to breed, if (heaven forbid) he ever got out.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
This sounds more like it's either a match instead of a show or maybe a non-AKC show???

I've never heard of anyone registering a dog with AKC at a show, but who knows, things change and maybe you can now (or at least get information about how to register).

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I've never heard of anyone registering a dog with AKC at a show, but who knows, things change and maybe you can now (or at least get information about how to register).
You definitely can't get a PAL for a dog at a show, because the AKC has to review the photos and proof before they can decide whether or not the dog appears to be purebred and accepted into the PAL program. The people who do the reviewing would not be at the show (or if they were, they would probably not be available or able to make an immediate decision.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if you ever heard back from AKC regarding a vasectomy being acceptable to them for the PAL/ILP program.

In terms of a dogs health that is definitely the best option.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts