German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my pup recently from a breeder I found on Craigslist. Like all (or most) breeders on there, the dogs they use to breed are not AKC registered nor are the litters...

I am really interest in registering my pup though. Anyone know how to start the process and who to contact? I've looked through the website and so far I haven't found anything useful.

Also, what am I looking at as far as a ballpark cost? My pup is 11wks old this coming Thursday.

·
Registered
723 Posts
If he's not from parents with full AKC registration, and from an AKC registered litter, he can't be registered. However, if you want to do things like obedience, rally, or anything else a GSD is eligible for, you can apply for a Purebred Alternative Listing once he's at least 6 months old and neutered. The cost of a PAL is $35.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
As far as I know, the only way to register with the AKC is to have registered parents either through the AKC or an FCI approved foreign registry (which is not what you would get on Craigslist)

If you want to participate in AKC events you can go through a process called an ILP
Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege

This process does not allow you to breed your dog. I think it even requires that it is spayed or neutered. It does allow you to compete in obedience trials etc. though.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
****, I had a feeling it couldn't be possible. Well thank you for the information!

I do want him to be agility trained & obedience though. Would it be harder to train him myself? or would it be better to have him trained in a class.

If it is better to have him trained with someone else, is there any good recommendations in the Los Angeles area? I live 5 minutes away from the City of Montebello. (A close one would be preferred.) And how much am I looking at?

Protection classes are also in consideration too. (Because of the area we live in)

To sum it up, I want him to be a VERY well trained pet for me, my wife, and two daughters. So training is important to us as well as security.

(I wouldn't mind putting all kinds of letters/acronyms next to my dogs name like other people have. I think they're titles/certs right?? lol) I just think it would be cool... but more importantly I just want the security.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
So you did get that you CAN register him once he's neutered right? That way you can compete in all those event to get all those letters around his name :)

Best for you to take him to training classes cause most of them are really about teaching us how to train our pup the best way to listen and learn. Once we learn our part the dogs seem to be BRILLIANT!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you did get that you CAN register him once he's neutered right? That way you can compete in all those event to get all those letters around his name :)

Best for you to take him to training classes cause most of them are really about teaching us how to train our pup the best way to listen and learn. Once we learn our part the dogs seem to be BRILLIANT!

Yeah I get it. Still kinda bummed though. As far as PAL-ILP, that sounds like a good idea. Some registration is better than none lol.

So, what exactly ARE those letter/acronyms?? and how do you get them? What do they stand for?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Yeah I get it. Still kinda bummed though. As far as PAL-ILP, that sounds like a good idea. Some registration is better than none lol.

So, what exactly ARE those letter/acronyms?? and how do you get them? What do they stand for?
Different organizations have different titles, and requirements for them. Some are conformation (what a dog looks like) but most are performance titles, like obedience, agility, or bite sports. Title Abbreviations - Exhaustive List! - Rottweiler Discussion Forums

·
Registered
32,023 Posts
Start with obedience. You will need to be very careful with agility until he is fully grown. 18-24 months. But, you can take a puppy agility class and get him used to some of the stuff.

In fact, I would probably want a x-ray of the hips and elbows before starting agility. And probably 12 months or later to get a good idea what the H&E look like.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Start with obedience. You will need to be very careful with agility until he is fully grown. 18-24 months. But, you can take a puppy agility class and get him used to some of the stuff.

In fact, I would probably want a x-ray of the hips and elbows before starting agility. And probably 12 months or later to get a good idea what the H&E look like.
How much do X-Rays usually run?

·
Registered
32,023 Posts
It depends on where you are and where you go. If you just want to look and do not need to send them in, they may be able to do it without anesthetic and that will be cheaper. Couple of hundred probably. Ya got to shop around.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, if I can't start Agility training, how about CGC training?

I know it starts with basic obedience, but old does he have to be to take the test? I've looked around for some trainers and they say they won't take him til he's 6mos. Why so late?

Do I really have to wait til he's 6mos to barely start TRAINING?!

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Well, if I can't start Agility training, how about CGC training?

I know it starts with basic obedience, but old does he have to be to take the test? I've looked around for some trainers and they say they won't take him til he's 6mos. Why so late?

Do I really have to wait til he's 6mos to barely start TRAINING?!
You can start basic training...but paying for a trainer at such a young age is useless. They can't really focus for longer than 5 minutes and therefor going to a 30 minute class is a waste of money. At about 6 months...dogs kind of enter a maturing/butthead stage where they figure out that they can do things on their own and they don't need YOUR protection. So this is where the training comes in. For a while right now, your dog will follow you around, come to you when you call him, and do everything you want him to do because you're the only thing he knows since being taken away from his mom. At about 6 months they grow up, get confidence, and realize...they don't have to listen to you.

LET YOUR PUPPY BE A PUPPY!

To tell you the truth...if you're planning on titling in obedience...train for that and your dog will get a CGC. I do not suggest training strictly for the 10 exercises on the CGC just to pass it and get done with it. It's also not a "true test" because usually you take it in your training facility, many times given by your instructor, so the dog is extremely comfortable and there is nothing new or extra happening around him.

Enjoy your puppy while they're small and goofy. In 6 months you're going to have a 70+ pound animal that won't be so "cute" anymore and depending on the level of obedience they'll just be themselves for the rest of their lives. You only have a few months while you can enjoy your little pup, so enjoy him.

·
Registered
32,023 Posts
No, but you might have to wait, until six months to actually take the test. In fact, I think the AKC suggest you take it again if you take it when the dog is under one year.

But all of that information can be found on the AKC site at American Kennel Club - akc.org.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can start basic training...but paying for a trainer at such a young age is useless. They can't really focus for longer than 5 minutes and therefor going to a 30 minute class is a waste of money. At about 6 months...dogs kind of enter a maturing/butthead stage where they figure out that they can do things on their own and they don't need YOUR protection. So this is where the training comes in. For a while right now, your dog will follow you around, come to you when you call him, and do everything you want him to do because you're the only thing he knows since being taken away from his mom. At about 6 months they grow up, get confidence, and realize...they don't have to listen to you.

LET YOUR PUPPY BE A PUPPY!

To tell you the truth...if you're planning on titling in obedience...train for that and your dog will get a CGC. I do not suggest training strictly for the 10 exercises on the CGC just to pass it and get done with it. It's also not a "true test" because usually you take it in your training facility, many times given by your instructor, so the dog is extremely comfortable and there is nothing new or extra happening around him.

Enjoy your puppy while they're small and goofy. In 6 months you're going to have a 70+ pound animal that won't be so "cute" anymore and depending on the level of obedience they'll just be themselves for the rest of their lives. You only have a few months while you can enjoy your little pup, so enjoy him.

Very well said. I guess in all... I just want to do what I can to have a good obedient pup. He's 11wks tomorrow... and I have a 3yr old daughter he's still KINDA getting used to... and another daughter coming to this world in less than 2wks.

I just want to make sure everyone will adjust accordingly... and I won't have any accidents (biting, scratching or jumping on) with my pup. Some people thought it wasn't too good of an idea with a new baby on the way, where as I thought it was the perfect time. They can grow up together!

Anyway, long story short... I just want a good pup I know will obey when it comes time to.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Very well said. I guess in all... I just want to do what I can to have a good obedient pup. He's 11wks tomorrow... and I have a 3yr old daughter he's still KINDA getting used to... and another daughter coming to this world in less than 2wks.

I just want to make sure everyone will adjust accordingly... and I won't have any accidents (biting, scratching or jumping on) with my pup. Some people thought it wasn't too good of an idea with a new baby on the way, where as I thought it was the perfect time. They can grow up together!

Anyway, long story short... I just want a good pup I know will obey when it comes time to.
Those are all "manners" type things...teach them at home. They can only be taught through repetition because in class it is unlikely that those types of environments will be replicated. Teaching a dog not to jump comes through repetition...and although the trainer might give you techniques on how to fix it...you can find those same techniques on the forum and elsewhere on the internet.

Trust me...I didn't expect to have anywhere near the obedient dog I have now. I had no idea he'd be titled (I didn't even know what titles were when I got him). I joined a club, started training, got competitive, saw how obedient the older dogs were, and decided that I wanted more than just a pet level of obedience.

I remember being in your shoes...having a 3 month old puppy and wanting him to be as obedient as the 3 year old dogs I saw at my club. Now...I wish I had more time with that goofy 3 month old puppy.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I would start by signing up for a puppy class. Sure, you could learn all the basic stuff online, but the class setting is very beneficial for socializing and to have a trainer helping you along. It's also a lot of fun! After that, then move on to a higher level class, CGC class, puppy agility - whatever you want.
You can start some useful agility exercises now, like getting him used to unusual surfaces, going through things, under things, etc. You'll definitely need a trainer for agility (someone who competes with their dogs), as there is so much more to learning agility than just teaching the dogs the obstacles.
But for now, find a basic, fun, and positive puppy class.

Also - there are many more agility venues besides AKC that you can choose to compete in if and when that time comes, and as stated earlier you can compete with an ILP/PAL #.

·
Registered
10,838 Posts
If you want to participate in AKC events you can go through a process called an ILP
Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege

This process does not allow you to breed your dog. I think it even requires that it is spayed or neutered. It does allow you to compete in obedience trials etc. though.
That is correct. WD doesn't have AKC papers either. I'd rather not neuter WD and not being able to enter him in AKC events than letting the AKC black mailing me; neuter him or you can't compete. I hate that power play and not being able to make my own decisions.

·
Registered
723 Posts
UKC also requires dogs to be altered to get a Limited Privilages Listing (same thing as tha AKC PAL). ASCA doesn't seem to require that a dog be altered, but they don't appear to have very many events compared to AKC or UKC. I don't know about the requirements for USDAA or NADAC.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts