German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the papers for me to send into the AKC for my pups registration.

Can someone explain to me the benefit of sending them $20 for a piece of paper saying she's a papered pooch? Beyond that, both the breeder and co-breeder would like their names with Bubba's registration name. If I decide to do this, I'll have to kick down an extra $10 for the length of the name.

I am kind of put off by them wanting an extra $14 for my pups 3 generation pedigree (Silver package). I think that is a bit ridiculous for a computer generated report. Bubba came to me to be my pal, not to be in a show ring. I would like the paper, but it's value is not worth $14 to me.

The Gold package, an extra $27 I have no use for because my mom gets the magazine, and she lets me read her copy.

I don't wish this to be a "yeah AKC" or a "boo AKC" conversation. I also understand the AKC is a non-profit and how funds are needed for this organization.

I suppose the bottom line question is, what is the benefit for me sending them $30 or $44?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
One benefit is your dog would be able to participate in AKC events. But you might want to make sure that's right because I've heard of mixed breeds participating, unless you can AKC register a mixed breed, which I don't think you can.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
If you don't plan to show in conformation and you don't plan to breed, there's really no point in getting the dog AKC registered. Mixed breeds can compete in everything except conformation through the AKC canine partners program, un-registered purebreeds can do the same through the PAL (purebred alternative listing) program.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
If, as you state, it is not worth registering with AKC, then simply don't do it and save the money that it would cost. You could buy your pup an extra toy or two.

For some folks it is worth a few dollars to have a pedigree paper even if they don't really know or have ever heard of any of the dogs listed there, but for some others it isn't worth it so they should not spend the money.

The nice thing is that it is your choice.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
If you don't plan to show in conformation and you don't plan to breed, there's really no point in getting the dog AKC registered. Mixed breeds can compete in everything except conformation through the AKC canine partners program, un-registered purebreeds can do the same through the PAL (purebred alternative listing) program.
Actually, this is not true.

Mixed breeds can ONLY perform in shows that allow mixed breeds to enter, and I think ONLY stand alone Obedience/Rally/Agility, what have you. They cannot be entered in shows where there are also conformation events.

And you will need to either register your dog under the PAL program or the mixed breed program, and I cannot see how that would be cheaper, though you would be able to enter performance events with conformation events with a PAL because it is a purebred alternative listing. But you have to send pictures, get the dog fixed, and apply, may even need someone to sign off that the dog appears purebred. Not any easier or quicker than sending in the paperwork.

If you want to go with the mixed breed listing, that is ok, but again why not send in his paperwork.

I usually go with the silver package myself. I like the pedigree they send me. It is frameable, though I keep it in a page protector in their binder where also go their certifications, titles, veterinary papers, ofas, etc.

It is a couple of bucks. You never have to renew it or update it, unless you sell the dog.

Your puppy is an open book right now. Two years from now, you might be really into training and want to take him to a show. Why not get him registered, and not have to scramble then, either paying late fees, or getting a PAL?

And you might not WANT to get your boy fixed, in order to compete.

Again, it is a one-time fee, and a couple of bucks, less than a carton of cigarrettes.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Your puppy is an open book right now. Two years from now, you might be really into training and want to take him to a show.
I'm not sure what the time limit is but if the dog isn't registered before a certain time frame (AKC) the price goes way up. Definitely cheaper to do it when you first get them.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I'm not telling you that you have to, because you don't, but registering with the AKC also supports the AKC and all their programs. They keep track of dog related legislation, they have educational programs on dog care training and safety. Other services they listed on their website are Kennel inspections, support of SAR groups, AKC Canine Health Foundation.

I know that my breed club, The American Belgian Laekenois Association just sent a representative to the breed club seminar. Our liason said it was well worth her time and learned a lot.

It's cheaper than a PAL registration, which is $35. Though, if $20 is a lot of money to you, I'm certain you will not participate in any of the companion events. I spent $700 on obedience and rally shows with Balto this year, just because he enjoys it so much. (I didn't realize it was so much!)

Bottom line is the AKC is our main registry in this country, you can choose to support it, or not. $20 isn't much to spend. I send 5 times that every year to my local SPCA for the good work they do.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I would register my dog (I always do) cause you never know what you want to do! I'd do the regular registration, no extra. But once you have the number you never know when it will come in handy if you later DO decide to enter some event.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Yes, entries range from 22 to 32 dollars per class around here. Since you can get a title with three legs, three entrance fees, you can definitely get it done with less than $100. And if you go to matches first, they only range 5-7$ around here. Not very expensive, though, for matches, you really do not need to register the dog.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Actually, this is not true.

Mixed breeds can ONLY perform in shows that allow mixed breeds to enter, and I think ONLY stand alone Obedience/Rally/Agility, what have you. They cannot be entered in shows where there are also conformation events.
Seven years on this board and I'm still learning new things all the time. Who knew?:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Like others have said, you never know what you might want to do in the future that would require the AKC registration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the thoughts.

Someone stated something above about "not having the money". I have the money, I certainly wouldn't be getting a dog if I couldn't sport $20-$34. A dog costs way more than that ;). I am just thinking the fees are excessive. I am not cheap, frugal, or whatever you want to term it.... I just decide if something is of the value compared to the price charged.

I still don't know what I am going to do, I suppose I just need to ponder this a bit more.

Again, thanks for your thoughts, I sincerely appreciate it.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
I think that knowing the colors, OFAs and titles of the dogs directly behind yours has value. But really, that registration goes for keeping a registry of purebred dogs. Meaning that the dogs behind yours are purebred.

Now, what else do they do?

They do keep up with canine legislation and fight BSL and other legislation that is unfair.

They do go around and audit breeders, check their kennels and their books.

They do DNA testing on some litters to determine if the litter is what it is registered as. Every month, so many litters are actually cancelled due to dna testing.

They promote responsible dog ownership, shows, and a variety of community/show/breeding events.

They have a CAR registry to help return dogs that are lost.

They provide one month of free pet insurance in hopes that you get your pup under insurance right off.

They affirm judges and respond to complaints against judges, clubs, breeders, and individuals for conduct unbecoming the purebred fancy.

And many, many other things.

As I say, it is a one time fee. I think it is well worth it.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would register him for all the reasons stated, however, if you don't want to spend the money on a copy of his pedigree, ask the breeder for a copy. Most breeders will supply new dog/puppy owners with a copy of the pedigree.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Just wanted to add that the mixed breed issue does not apply to a purebred without papers. A purebred can be ILP listed and participate in companion events anywhere offered.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I would DEFINITELY do it, then you have an official document proving your ownership of the dog (should the dog ever become lost and picked up by someone else, or some other situation).

The only dog I have an official AKC pedigree for is Nikon, b/c I needed it for WDA events. But, I ordered that after he was registered, when I eventually needed it. I don't have an official AKC pedigree for Kenya, just the registration paper.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well, if you don't intend to show/breed your dog and don't really care for the piece of paper with your pet's pedigree..then yes the AKC registration is a waste of your money. On the other hand, if you look at how AKC provides guidance to pet lovers in this country and that our registration fees goes a long way in keeping them funded then $20 or so is a very small fee to pay.

The way I look at it is: Why close down doors. Who knows in 2/3 years time I might be interested in showing or competing with my dog (even though I've no inclination at this current time), but having an option is better than not having one at all. One time $20 to keep the door open is not bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts